crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Angel Stairs

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Never heard of this before:

http://imgur.com/a/Ns6hG

From another website:
If you go to St. Louis MO, and visit the Bellrieve (sp?) Park...walk a little ways down the tracks, and to your left, if you pay close enough attention, there is a very over-grown patch of the woods that looks enough like a trail.

If you go through, you come across these stairs. They are pretty battered and beat up...and actually a tad dangerous to go up.

They are known as "Angel Stairs" because this area used to be where the Hells Angels originally hung out at, and all the people who have died trying to climb up and down them..etc
archinstl
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

RE: Angel Stairs

Post by archinstl »

Those look scary!
Their mention rang a tiny, tiny, bell waay back in the brain and...
All I could discover was from a comment on a blog in the really interesting site of http://stltourguide.wordpress.com/ *
Quoting:
"The Angel Steps were built in 1905 by The Century Rowing Club of St. Louis. They led from the Club House on the bluff down to the Boathouse, they are all that remain of the rowing club which was destroyed by fire in 1932.'

I have some doubts about the Hells Angels story, though.

* You can spend hours exploring her blog! Truly fascinating about our City and area.
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Re: Angel Stairs

Post by Chris »

Hunter and I have been there, there is a spring flowing into the river right at the base of the stairs, too. Even in the winter, when the river is icy, the spring flows warm enough for green growth to survive and keep from freezing over.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: RE: Angel Stairs

Post by mindwaave »

archinstl wrote: * You can spend hours exploring her blog! Truly fascinating about our City and area.
Thanks for sharing, that's a cool site!
Preservation over plunder.