Western Town Tourist Traps

Urban exploration in Missouri
Gravefindr
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Western Town Tourist Traps

Post by Gravefindr »

After reading the posts about Dogpatch, I got to thinking about some of the other places I'd gone to (and loved) as a kid and got to wondering if they still exist at all. There were a couple of tourist attractions designed to be old west towns. One was near High Ridge and was called PocoLoco (or something like that), we went there a lot on school field trips and with scouts, etc. Don't remember any rides but there were several buildings. It was better than spending a day in school. The other was at Osage Beach and was called Gold Nugget Junction. It too was a tourist trap town but it was cool. Lots of buildings, trains, a gun fight show, etc. All of the buildings were set up with displays of how they would have been in the days of the old west. I remember to get into the town you had to walk through an old train engine. Loved going to this place and spending time. Are either of them still in existence? If not, does anyone know what happened to them?
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

RE: Western Town Tourist Traps

Post by Chris »

I didn't realize that there was a place like that in High Ridge. I'd like to see if it's still there.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Re: Western Town Tourist Traps

Post by ropingk »

Poco Loco was in high ridge it was used in a few films it was just a real small model of a western town something happened and they moved it it I was thinking it was off of antire road but i could be wrong they had a haunted ghost town there a few years back
man i would love to go the that place inOsage beach it if it is still there
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

I've got a contact or two up there, I'll start asking around.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

I will try and see if PoCo Loco is still around I know it was several years ago
pavement
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by pavement »

I think I went to the high ridge one for school about 10 or so years ago. I am not sure of the name, but I do remember the trip and it was in the stl area.
Can you here me now! its the end of radio, and we miss it.
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

In Barry County between Roaring River and Cassville, MO there was a little place called Deer Park that I loved going to as a kid. It was basically like a little petting zoo built in among some trees and you could buy waffle cones filled with animal food and walk through the paths and feed deer, rabbits, etc.

They also had several buildings that you could explore to show you what life was like in the old days. There was a general store/ post office, a log cabin with a loft so you could see where the kids used to sleep on straw-filled mattresses. Another building or two of the same type, I don't remember exactly what they were. And they even had a grave marker with a funny saying on it and a pair of boots sticking out of the ground there.

Sounds pretty lame now I guess, but as a kid I loved going there every chance I got. It has been abandoned for years now, but everytime I drive by it I still remember how fun it was. It's funny that I never thought about taking pictures of it until I became involved in this website. Now I can't wait for fall so I can get some pics. There won't be any from inside any of the buildings though, because when you pull in and park you go to the petting zoo on the right and the buildings are on the left and straight off the end of the parking lot is a house where I am assuming the owners live. There's always lights on and cars there. So, I might not even get any outside pics. But I'm gonna try.

Has anyone else heard of this place or been there? I've been searching all over the internet, but have found nothing.
Gravefindr
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Gravefindr »

I found this old postcard from Gold Nugget Junction, thought maybe it would jog someone's memory. Its the only picture that I have from the place, wish I had more. On the back of the card it says.....Gold Nugget Junction, Hwy 54 - 4 mi. South Grand Glaize Bridge, Osage Beach, MO 65065 Lake of the Ozarks newest, most interesting, authentic Frontier Town of the 1890's. Complete with Steam Train Rides, Gun Fights in the street and Saloon Shows. 50 acres of Family exhibits and entertainments. Gifts and Craft Shops - Delicious Snack Bar - Foods and beverages
Attachments
gold nugget junction card.JPG
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

that kinda remindes me of Jese James Teritory out side of Sullivan Missouri which is not a housing develoment
Rhonda
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Rhonda »

I loved Gold Nugget Junction. Used to visit with my family and when I turned 16 I got a job there as a can-can dancer. Worked there the summers of 74, 75 and 76. Everytime I drive by I have fond memories of my first job and wish Gold Nugget still existed. Made lots of friends, especially in the music field at the Lake. I especially loved going to Denny Hilton's Country Shindig across the road. Boy, those were the good days. Any other Gold Nugget employees out there reading this??
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

slow_walker wrote:In Barry County between Roaring River and Cassville, MO there was a little place called Deer Park that I loved going to as a kid. It was basically like a little petting zoo built in among some trees and you could buy waffle cones filled with animal food and walk through the paths and feed deer, rabbits, etc.

They also had several buildings that you could explore to show you what life was like in the old days. There was a general store/ post office, a log cabin with a loft so you could see where the kids used to sleep on straw-filled mattresses. Another building or two of the same type, I don't remember exactly what they were. And they even had a grave marker with a funny saying on it and a pair of boots sticking out of the ground there.

Sounds pretty lame now I guess, but as a kid I loved going there every chance I got. It has been abandoned for years now, but everytime I drive by it I still remember how fun it was. It's funny that I never thought about taking pictures of it until I became involved in this website. Now I can't wait for fall so I can get some pics. There won't be any from inside any of the buildings though, because when you pull in and park you go to the petting zoo on the right and the buildings are on the left and straight off the end of the parking lot is a house where I am assuming the owners live. There's always lights on and cars there. So, I might not even get any outside pics. But I'm gonna try.

Has anyone else heard of this place or been there? I've been searching all over the internet, but have found nothing.
I don't guess I ever remember that place. How long ago was it slow walker?
What's the point of making a point if the point you are trying to make is pointless? Do you get my point?
the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by the_p0ssum »

The Polo Loco western town address was noted as:

6004 Antire Rd
High Ridge, MO 63049

However, I found a reference that noted that it's now a Knights of Columbus hall, and if you check it out via maps/satellite, that does seem to be the case.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

I think they moved the towm I just dont know where to and if it is still up and running or just a pile of old lumber
the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by the_p0ssum »

Here's a pic of the engine at Gold Nugget Junction with some of the buildings in the background. This link here also notes what happened to that engine as well as a few anecdotes regarding Gold Nugget Junction.

According to the Mo SOS website, the company is a Fictitious Name regestration that was created in 1967, and is still active! It won't expire until 2009. :)
nannerlh
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by nannerlh »

POCO LOCO - High Ridge

Well, I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one who remembers this place. Yes, it was off of Antire Road in High Ridge Missouri. I went to High School with the daughter of the original owner/founder and spent a lot of time out there.

You could rent the saloon for private parties and our neighborhood rented it for two fall BBQ parties. It was truly an amazing place. The buildings looked amazingly authentic; not the synthetic, commercialized, plastic-like look of what passes for 'Western' Themed amusement parks. There was a mortician's studio, complete with dummy-filled caskets, tools and disturbing old photos of those who met the "long Arm of the Law". The saloon had a player piano and was used for Vess soda commercials. The stables contained vintage carriages and wagons.

In either 1978 or 1979 an "Old West Day" was held at Poco Loco. I was working for the Suburban Journals and covered the event. Chuck Conners attended, as did Edgar Buchanan (Petticoat Junction) and Pat Butram, who once worked as a sidekick to Gene Autry.

In the early 1990's, the park was sold off to a developer with grandiose ideas of turning it into some raunchy "Glitter Gulch" theme. Out went the true 'patina' of time, and in came the plastic toy guns for sale, bored high-schoolers in ill-fitting costumes and admission charged for everything possible; there was a joke going around at one time that if you farted there, the owner would try to find some way to charge you for it. I seem to recall two, hideous, gigantic resin cowboy boots on either side of the driveway.

I haven't been out there in over twenty years - I really don't know if I want to. I've done a Google Earth Satellite photo search; the Bobbit's old house is still there but I really don't see any signs of the park I knew.

Like Echo Lake, it has vanished into the gated-community glut.