New to the area...

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

RE: New to the area...

Post by tyler »

It's way east, past West Plains even. It's a haul, man.
comie
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by comie »

there are alot of places like this in the area.there is the old boyscout camp right off of hwy. 44 and hwy. 43 (exit 6 off of I-44, across from loves.) the hoffman mansion witch is supposed to be haunted. i dont have directions to that one but you can look it up at the joplin globes website. there is the shinery hermits shack, a creepy old fallen down house that is supposedly where an old hermit (named shinery, i guess) murdered a bunch of little kids in the 30's.if you take hwy 43 south to hwy 10 then go 2 miles west to state line road turn back to the south and turn right at the first place you can its just up that gravel road on the right in the woods. anyway thats just a couple of the ones ive been to. there are alot more than that here. hell right by you is crowder college it used to be a fort then a military base im sure there are abandoned parts of it that would be verry interesting even if "off limits"
Sirius
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Sirius »

I've been to the Joplin "spook light". We saw it from about 50 yards down the road. I don't usually believe in "supernatural" stuff like that and I was very skeptical when we went but I really can't explain that light. I've heard of people saying it actually passed through their car. I probably would've wet myself if that happened.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

I love your avatar :) LOVE it!
Kit wrote:I am old
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Neosho, Joplin, Webb City

Post by Mindscape »

Bunch of stuff down here, really... though not so much of it's immediately visible. Lots of old vacant buildings in Joplin's downtown area, probably lots in areas nearby, too. As for what's underneath them, I don't know yet.

I know that out along the road leading east-northeast (one of the highways) toward Springfield out of Webb City there are several run-down places along the road, places that used to be something until I-44 got put in. It might be interesting to check up on their history (though none of them's particularly sticking in my mind).

At very worst, it's not a bad drive through the countryside and you can always visit the guy who's got an eight foot sign in his yard that reads "CHICKEM FOR SALE".

That's right... Chickem. I'm half-tempted to stop in there just to talk to the guy.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

I'd ask him if I could buy some chickem, continuously saying it like that saying it way too often.

"I hear you sell chickem. I'm always up for some good chickem. What kind of chickem? If you fry your chickem I'd say I'm up for some chickem."

And then I would use his restroom.

For spite.

Maybe.
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

I don't get it, what is chickem? Chicken spelled incorrectly? :?
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

It's either Chicken spelled incorrectly (which is probably the case) or it's what Chicklets grow up to be.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: Neosho, Joplin, Webb City

Post by White Rabbit »

Mindscape wrote:and you can always visit the guy who's got an eight foot sign in his yard that reads "CHICKEM FOR SALE".

That's right... Chickem. I'm half-tempted to stop in there just to talk to the guy.
I once drove two hours out of my way to get to Chicken, Alaska to pick up a T-shirt that said "I got laid in Chicken, Alaska." :P
youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

Re: Neosho, Joplin, Webb City

Post by youthsonic »

White Rabbit wrote:I once drove two hours out of my way to get to Chicken, Alaska to pick up a T-shirt that said "I got laid in Chicken, Alaska." :P
Ever heard the Bob Rivers song "When A Man Loves A Chicken?"

Hey, the shirt could have said "I got laid by a chicken in Alaska"
"fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Correction!

Post by Mindscape »

I drove past there yesterday on my way to Springfield, and I do believe I was mistaken. There is no sign that says "Chickem for sale".

The sign says, unless I forget my spelling, "CHICKUM FOR SALE" in two-foot tall spraypainted letters. I would have stopped and taken a picture, but I had my grandparents in the car with me and my sisters' birthday parties to attend.

I'll try to get a photo next time we head through.
travcojim
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by travcojim »

I once drove 3 hours out of the way to go see Mike the headless Chicken out in Colorado near the Utah border, then drove from there all the way home, 22 hours.. And I got a shirt. Missed the big festival by 1 week. Do we need help you think?
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Re: RE: New to the area...

Post by ann_marie »

travcojim wrote:I once drove 3 hours out of the way to go see Mike the headless Chicken out in Colorado near the Utah border, then drove from there all the way home, 22 hours.. And I got a shirt. Missed the big festival by 1 week. Do we need help you think?
Is this the chicken that I'm thinking that had a cause of death "choking"? That shit is funny!!!! :lol:
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by 800813 »

Wow... I am only about 15 miles from Rover and this is the first I've heard about ghost lights in the area. I'll definitely check it out.
Directions to Rover, MO: From West Plains, take 160 East about 15 miles, then turn south on M highway. Rover is made up of a gas station, firehouse, and church. Don't blink, you'll miss it.