Yet another lurker requesting your collective wisdom

Urban exploration in Missouri
StLouisGlobetrotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Yet another lurker requesting your collective wisdom

Post by StLouisGlobetrotter »

Hey fellas. I've been lurking for a few months, but I decided to make an account tonight after a 6 hour hike with no luck finding any caves. I've been going off of a marked map (that I think was actually created by your resident jammer_smith?) and while it's given me some awesome hikes, a lot of these caves are on private property or gated off, which is... frustrating.

I understand from my lurking that y'all are hesitant to hand out info (and I understand why), but if you have any tips or good locations, I would really appreciate it.

Quick background to make me a human: I'm a college dude in my third semester at S&T, lived in St. Louis my whole life and never really got to do anything adventurous. I mostly keep to myself, but you all seem like good folk. I've visited the Devil's Icebox in Columbia, and last weekend I went canoeing down the Current River and got into a really cool cave about 2 hours down (about 25 minutes to get to the back, knee deep 57 degree water, it was pretty awesome. Some absolutely gorgeous formations, especially the further we got back.) Other than that, I've been pretty limited by an inability to find places. I'm by no means an expert on geology, but I do try and stay well read so that I can practice conservation and not be an ass to the places I wanna go.

So, again; my research has pretty much run dry or seems to be outdated, so any help you could give would be cool. I'll be sticking around and participating when I can, although I am shy and the lurker in me tends to win.
(Today I was hoping to find Marcellus (Marceitus?) cave in St. James, Spencer cave north of Rolla, Mud and Bushwacker caves along the north side of the Gasconade river, and Onyx cave just south of there. Marcellus, Bushwacker, and Spencer caves were on private property from the GPS coordinates I had, Onyx cave has apparently been closed for a decade, and I had no luck locating Mud cave although it was a gorgeous hike and there were some intriguing rock formations along a creek bed. All that took about 6 hours, I was by myself so I was taking precautions and enjoying the solitude of nature.)
StLouisGlobetrotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Yet another lurker requesting your collective wisdom

Oh, and since I'm asking you all for something, you deserve something in return. The most valuable thing I have is my old Commodores CD and a picture of my dog, so here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrkEDe6Ljqs
Attachments
14705717_10211216599519991_3496764031865578642_n.jpg
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Talk to Panic, he know all near Rolla, although he is currently globetrotting, exploring mountain peaks and humid valleys with his wife, so he may not answer right away.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Howdy! I finished-up at Rolla last year and work in STL now. If you're ever in town, hit SubLunar and I up. Here's the Rolla thread in case you haven't seen it yet, and there are some other S&T students that posted earlier here. Ya'll should get together and explore some shiz, now that Panic! and I (and most of our friends) have graduated.
Preservation over plunder.
StLouisGlobetrotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Howdy back at ya! Sorry for the late reply, S&T grads will know how quickly tests and life can get busy! :D

It's funny, I was actually in STL last weekend visiting family. I would have been too busy to do anything, but it's still funny that I'm only seeing mindwave's post now, haha. My dad and brother and I went on the Lewis and Clark trail near St. Charles/St. Peters to see the leaves changing and enjoy the weather. Gorgeous weekend (obviously no caves) but we really hit the perfect weekend for the leaves.

Thanks for your introduction and friendliness. If I see Panic active I'll shoot him a PM and see what info I can glean from ye cave masters. Until then, happy hunting!
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Don't forget us UMR dropouts... actually, UMR was never busy for me... probably why I dropped out. :wink:
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

StLouisGlobetrotter wrote:
(Today I was hoping to find Marcellus (Marceitus?) cave in St. James, Spencer cave north of Rolla, Mud and Bushwacker caves along the north side of the Gasconade river, and Onyx cave just south of there. Marcellus, Bushwacker, and Spencer caves were on private property from the GPS coordinates I had, Onyx cave has apparently been closed for a decade, and
Sorry for the late reply here, been really busy doing stuff.

So, Marcellus Cave: Out by St James, goes and goes and goes, about 5' x 5' box tunnel with about 2-3 feet of water throughout. Went back about 3000 ft and the tunnel started to taper. When I got out I had a voicemail from University Police asking about my vehicle on the side of the road parked about half a mile from the cave :shock: Not worth it IMO.

Bushwacker is a cave full of peanut butter (clay). I showed up to the owner's house and he was some old guy and his old wife and they gave me permission to go. I decided to come back some time later, and when I called the guy, his wife had like JUST died and I was actually talking to their daughter, since the family was all over there :shock:
I didn't bother asking to still go caving and never called back. This was in 2010 and the guy's number was in my wallet, which was stolen that summer. Pisses me off.

Try using GIS websites to get landowner info. From there you can generally google-fu a phone number.
StLouisGlobetrotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Thanks for the replies! I was told you and Mrs. Panic were out exploring and such, I hope you had a pleasant and exciting journey.

Your assorted info across the last three threads are pretty useful. I've been slowly figuring out how to do research on caves. Side note: that's what I love most about caving, how it has elements of academia, exploration, and adventure mixed all throughout it. It's a valuable hobby.

I actually just discovered GIS last night! That was incredibly helpful, although there are still WAY too many no trespassing signs on perfectly abandoned land. We followed the roubidoux creek (public land) to york cave and still got yelled at by what might have been one of them deer hunters you mentioned. I'm just glad we didn't get shot. My geological engineer buddy was very impressed with the location.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

StLouisGlobetrotter wrote:Thanks for the replies! I was told you and Mrs. Panic were out exploring and such, I hope you had a pleasant and exciting journey.
We aren't done yet! 5 months on the road and rolling!

You should go to Slaughter Sink, it's great for climbing and doing some rappelling. Also, Saltpeter cave #3 is out there with a really nice overlook over the Gasconade. You have to do a short rappel to get to it, or get a ladder to get to it from below. I think CoM was off on these coords as well. I went looking for it about 2 times before I eventually found it.

Here's the cave from the side while I was looking for it (you cant see it from above), as well as a view from the top when the Gasconade flooded last year.

ThumYorky
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ThumYorky »

Hey Globetrotter, Rolla local here. Spencer is pretty dang close to where I live, and yes it's on private property right by someone's house. Apparently my family knows the owners and have been in it but I haven't gotten around to asking.

I just got into caving earlier this year and I've been to a handful so far. There are actually a lot that are on public land, namely Mark Twain National Forest.

Now that the hot days and thick foliage have died off, I'm getting back into hitting the woods every time I've got free time. Feel free to PM me about the locale or of you're interested in locating caves.
StLouisGlobetrotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Yeah, Panic, those and a couple more are on my list, but other than 50ft of rope I got at Walmart for emergencies or if I ever need to hang myself (IT'S A JOKE I SWEAR), my group isn't equipped/trained for that sort of thing. I'm trying to find a decent place to muster up the balls and just go for it where certain death isn't the alternative. I took notes on a couple of good locations where it sounds like the worst thing to happen would be a slide down a steep gravel hill (which still sucks, but not dying is good.) Don't have the names on me at the moment, if I run into em I'll check em out.
ThumYorky wrote:Hey Globetrotter, Rolla local here. Spencer is pretty dang close to where I live, and yes it's on private property right by someone's house. Apparently my family knows the owners and have been in it but I haven't gotten around to asking.

I just got into caving earlier this year and I've been to a handful so far. There are actually a lot that are on public land, namely Mark Twain National Forest.

Now that the hot days and thick foliage have died off, I'm getting back into hitting the woods every time I've got free time. Feel free to PM me about the locale or of you're interested in locating caves.
Hey thanks! I'm definitely going to wait for a few weekends, first because I'm going back to STL for the week of thanksgiving, but also because of the hunting going on. On an adventure last weekend near Yoark cave (GORGEOUS) I got yelled at by someone in an orange vest, probably a hunter. Just glad I didn't get shot. I usually try and get a group out on a hike or a cave every weekend, so if you ever want some company shoot me a PM!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Yet another lurker requesting your collective wisdom

Post by SubLunar »

Hey dudes! I just might try to take you guys up on the hiking/caving trips. I recently went on an amazing hike at Pickle Springs natural area near St Genevieve. If you haven't been, you need to check it out sometime. It's my favorite hike so far in Missouri.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: RE: Yet another lurker requesting your collective wisdom

Post by BROUSER »

SubLunar wrote:Hey dudes! I just might try to take you guys up on the hiking/caving trips. I recently went on an amazing hike at Pickle Springs natural area near St Genevieve. If you haven't been, you need to check it out sometime. It's my favorite hike so far in Missouri.
Second that. Nice hiking area.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Yet another lurker requesting your collective wisdom

Post by BagHead727 »

SubLunar wrote:Hey dudes! I just might try to take you guys up on the hiking/caving trips. I recently went on an amazing hike at Pickle Springs natural area near St Genevieve. If you haven't been, you need to check it out sometime. It's my favorite hike so far in Missouri.
Come to Columbia then. I've got a nice and tight wet hole waiting for you

We've got tons of caves around here btw
aka "That Guy"
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Yet another lurker requesting your collective wisdom

Post by SubLunar »

Yeah that one you posted about recently looks rad as fuck. I need to get inside a wet hole.