Wilson Cave, Miller County.

Urban exploration in Missouri
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Wilson Cave, Miller County.

Post by paul06660 »

After reading in Caves of Missouri, I came across an interesting read regarding the history of Wilson Cave located in Miller County. Various stories tell slightly different accounts, but most agree that the cave was named after John Wilson, an early settler of Miller County who used the cave as his shelter for two years and summers, until building a cabin on his homestead. Having lived a very long life, serving in multiple wars and finding great success in farming and fur trading, he developed a great fondness for his cave, which some accounts say he used for distilling his favorite drink, a very high quality peach whiskey.
Having reached an old age, Wilson eventually felt his years were about to run out, and sought to plan one of the most grandeur goodbyes anyone had ever seen in the area at the time. In fact, some would say the strangeness of his plans were what caught everyone’s attention, wishing that instead of everyone being sad at his funeral, instead, they should meet and be happy. Have a feast prepared and served them, with peach brandy consumed from his barrels, until everyone was filled. Instead of funeral music, have the fiddlers play, with dancing by those who enjoyed it, his funeral procession to be led by fiddlers playing the Eighth of January. Further, upon his death, Wilson requested to have his body opened and entrails removed and placed in the family cemetery. Then his body would be packed in salt and resewn, and placed in a coffin made by his own hands. Finally, after the funeral was over, Wilson’s body was to be placed in a side pocket high above the cave’s entrance, and sealed in with seven demijohns of peach whiskey. After seven years, his tomb was to be reopened for another party, where goers would consume the peach whiskey, and enjoy the company of John on display, who was to be petrified by the salt filled in him. A trust of one hundred dollars was placed in the name of one of his closest friends, and stories differ on whether his body returned to the cave, or finally placed in the family cemetery. Unfortunately, the American Civil War broke out during the following years, and everyone had forgotten about John, until afterward when a surviving family member saw his tomb unsealed, and the seven demijohns of whiskey gone. Upon further investigation, the holder of the trust had disappeared, most likely killed in one of the area’s skirmishes. John’s body however, was still there.
While the story of John Wilson’s funeral and burial might seem the stuff of fiction, several historical records exist to verify its occurrence. Many of these include written records of firsthand accounts archived by the Miller County Historical Society in the links below. However, what intrigues my interest the most, is whether John Wilson’s bones are still located in the cave pocket, or whether they were buried in the now lost Wilson Cemetery. Caves of Missouri, says that local boys claim to have seen his bones by crawling down through ceiling pockets, while another article claims that his bones were buried, then broken apart and taken by family members. Currently, Wilson’s Cave resides on private property, and supposedly accessible with special permission and private tour. Has anyone ever heard about this legend, or have any information to contribute? I would love to visit this location in the near future. The links below go into much greater detail of his death in august 1856, which these past weeks mark the 160th anniversary.

http://www.millercountymuseum.org/artic ... ncave.html

http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~momiller/ ... etery.html

http://www.millercountymuseum.org/archives/110905.html
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
unsunganything
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Wilson Cave, Miller County.

Post by unsunganything »

I visited this cave last year. My dad knows the owner, and I too read that excerpt from the book and wanted to visit it. The cave itself isn't much to see. It is very short, and mainly just has a room with some cool stalagmite/stalactite formations just past the entrance. Some archaeology people from Mizzou have done some digs there as evidenced by holes dug in the dirt around the entrance. There are two holes to the upper right of the entrance of the cave, of which the burial supposedly took place in the second hole to the right of the cave. Tried to climb up a slot on the outside of cave to peek in, but I wasn't wearing the right foot gear. Definitely worth checking out if you have the chance. There are quite a few caves around that area. I'll post a pic of the outside of the cave.
Attachments
IMG_0898.jpg
"Repent Kingdom, the end is near and it wont be silent" -The Chariot
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

Thank you for your response. Since researching this topic, I have found myself fascinated by this story, and feel the need to go visit the cave sometime in the future, with all the necessary permissions. However, I also feel like society still owes John Wilson his second party, which of course never happened due to the outbreak of the American Civil War. Since Wilson’s remains are most likely gone, I think it would be humorous to have an artist sculpt a rendition of his figure out of a salt pillar, which could serve to meet and greet partygoers. In place of the peach whiskey, perhaps peach schnapps could substitute, and we could require attendees dress in period-correct fashion, maybe even have an old time band play folk music and have dancing. Just some odd thoughts for a potential Halloween party lol.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: RE: Wilson Cave, Miller County.

Post by mindwaave »

Thanks for sharing your research guys!
paul06660 wrote:In place of the peach whiskey, perhaps peach schnapps could substitute, and we could require attendees dress in period-correct fashion, maybe even have an old time band play folk music and have dancing. Just some odd thoughts for a potential Halloween party lol.
That sounds like a damn good time.
Preservation over plunder.
Schimsa123
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Schimsa123 »

Hi I know this post was originally made about 4 years ago but I found it and figured my input would be interesting. John Wilson was my great great great great great grandfather! (5 greats) it's very amusing to see people talk of celebrating him this long after his death. Sadly I cannot say that I know where his body was placed but I imagine my grandparents would know 😂 it's nice to see that people are still interested in his story and not just the family.

Ps. Peach whiskey is still one of the favorite drinks in my family
eliyahu
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Wilson Cave, Miller County.

Post by eliyahu »

another late responder, though appears my 5th great grandmother July Ann (Julia Ann) Brumley (Capps) lived in the cave with the Wilson family as a child for two years! interested and honored to have family in such an odd situation!
Attachments
5FA3721B-75C1-4019-8307-8619CDEA6406.jpeg