Mid America Raceway

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Mid America Raceway

Post by SubLunar »

I recently visited what remains of the once glorious "M-A-R" racetrack in Wentzville MO. Only had my phone for pics at the time.

Spoiler alert: 75% of it is gone. This visit/post is about a decade late. Currently, a cookie cutter subdivision is inhabiting the space and all of the buildings are gone.

I haven't heard of anyone visiting it in recent years. And google maps shows a tantalizing portion of the original track still weaving through the trees. There even appeared to be structures in the woods. So I decided a visit was most certainly in order.
MAR was built in late 1965 and was the site of the second SCCA Trans Am race in the spring of 1966. The first Trans Am was at Sebring in March, 1966. Over the years, MAR has hosted many drag races and road races. St. Louis Region ran its National and Regional races here until 1984 when MAR closed its doors to road racing and St. Louis International Raceway opened its new road course in 1985.
source
Mid-America Raceway, in Wentzville, Missouri, once hosted an AMA road race national in the mid-1960s. The MCRA club racing group ran races there in the 1970s and into the early 1980s.
source

MAR also hosted the Falstaff 350 Camel GT Challenge July 19th and 20th 1975. Which is cool because Falstaff.

-

Comparing the maps, we see what was there over 10 years ago:

And all that's left today:

With the help of this map, I can identify the parts that remain:

So Google maps shows that Turn 5 might still be there, but 6,7,8,9 and 10 are definitely still there. And there are structures.

My trek started at turn 5 and found nothing but rubble and tall weeds. But walking a little further, I found sexy flat racetrack pavement. This is looking up at turn 6:

Further down along the straight section facing turn 3 that runs parallel to the creek is a nice tunnel of trees:

Turn 8 answers the mystery of the structures. There's a very old one room house that was evidently important enough to move once upon a time, but not important enough to stabilize after moving. There are also some of what appear to have been concession stands or vendor booths from the raceway sitting directly on the track, obviously moved from elsewhere.

Between 8 and 9 it gets weird. There's a couple of trailers parked and I got a little uneasy approaching them because it looked like someone (and their kid(s)) was living there. They were vacant but still full of stuff, including loan paperwork.

Turn 9:

The end:

If you're nearby, I recommend a visit to anyone who likes motorsports, history and/or sweaty hikes through bug infested weeds.

I don't recommend a visit to anyone not nearby or interested in those things, because the good stuff is long gone, there's no racetrack signage left anywhere and no structures remain other than an overgrown paved road through the woods.

I wish I visited the site 10 years ago, but it was still a nice adventure.

PS, I didn't realize until just now that I didn't venture down towards turn 3. So it looks like there's a small section that I missed.

more links:

http://www.geocities.ws/pr_mar_racing/mar_2000.html

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/MO/MidAmerica.html
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Mid America Raceway

Post by Nicotti »

Nice!

My parents drove a Datsun in the mid-eighties.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Cool! I wonder how dirtbike-able this place would be...
Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Mid America Raceway

Post by SubLunar »

Very dirtbikable. I could have driven my Jeep back there and I wanted to, but I'm not sure who owns it and how close they live... So yes, it would be rad.
MOFishwater
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by MOFishwater »

Pretty cool, thanks for sharing!
kokonutfreaks
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by kokonutfreaks »

Cool! I love old abandoned raceways. There's one in Eureka I've heard of, and one near Kansas City called the i70 Speedway. Lots of buildings still there. Creepy too.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Yeah I've been wanting to hit those up. Kinda mad at myself for never going to Gateway when it was closed.
archinstl
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by archinstl »

Kinda OT, but interesting nevertheless ...
Way back when , my Sister was dating a man who was quite interested in racing (he also owned a WWII Corsair airplane!).
Anyway, they were at Mid-America for an SCCA race that Paul Newman, then driving for Datsun (later known as Nissan), participated in.
Now, while Dear Sis was in the pits becauise of her BF's special access, she only saw Newman from perhaps 50 feet away, but she remarked on HOW BLUE WERE HIS EYES!
She was smitten! As were, of all course, all females within 100 yards.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I'm a member of the Sports Car Club of America, who organizes various racing events across the country and this month's magazine focused on the 50th anniversary of the Solo National Competition.

What I learned was that "Autocross" as a sport was officially born at the Mid America Raceway in Wentzville; In 1973, M-A-R hosted the first "solo national championship" and this championship has now run for 50 years.

But in the magazine, they mentioned the track by name only once and referred to it by city twice, but that was it and they didn't bother to include any other history or photos of it. A bit disappointing.

Just thought I'd mention it since it's apparently the 50th anniversary.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:04 am What I learned was that "Autocross" as a sport was officially born at the Mid America Raceway in Wentzville; In 1973, M-A-R hosted the first "solo national championship" and this championship has now run for 50 years.
Interesting. Monster trucks pretty much started in Pacific, MO in the 70's as well. That's where the Big Foot team is based.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Hellmark
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Hellmark »

Nicotti wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:52 pm
SubLunar wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:04 am What I learned was that "Autocross" as a sport was officially born at the Mid America Raceway in Wentzville; In 1973, M-A-R hosted the first "solo national championship" and this championship has now run for 50 years.
Interesting. Monster trucks pretty much started in Pacific, MO in the 70's as well. That's where the Big Foot team is based.
Bigfoot is now located in Pacific, but it is only recently that it has been located there. The business behind Bigfoot was originally Midwest Four Wheel Drive located in Ferguson in the mid '70s, and then after a couple years moved to Hazelwood. From 1984 to 2016, it was at 6311 N Lindbergh Blvd in Hazelwood, across from the old Ford plant. In 2016, they sold that location (which it became the Bommarito Hazelwood Collision Center), and moved to Pacific so that they could get a bigger shop, with more room to test the trucks, as well as put on events. For example before moving, when preparing for a stunt where they jumped over a 727, they had to find empty parking lots in the area to practice in.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

The last remnants of M.A.R. are being redeveloped.

Satellite imagery shows the track quickly giving way to the coookie cutter subdivision's expansion.

Sad fate for this historic vintage road course. This was the only road course in Missouri BTW; the nearest ones we have currently are Topeka and Memphis, both of which are 4.5 hour drive away.
Attachments
MAR.JPG
MAR.JPG (169.2 KiB) Viewed 945 times