Circle in the dirt....

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Circle in the dirt....

Post by dawgchain »

Out just west of Kansas exwy on catalpa, there is a large circle of dirt in a field, i remeber my dad and an old family friend takeingme and my now god-brother there to fly one of those gas powered model planes attached to a cord.

Well i was wondering if anyone knew what it was actually used for.
----------This space for rent----------
ShadowBearer
Stubbles
Stubbles

RE: Circle in the dirt....

Post by ShadowBearer »

Sumo battles.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Dirt Circles?

Is this it? I'm not sure what they used it for. Nothing shows up on the toppo map. It could have been something to do with the MoPac.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

what around the area I cant think of where you are talking about.
Kit wrote:I am old
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

It isn't far from the city dump. and that small post office.... that is a block further up kansas.
ouvgotmel
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by ouvgotmel »

That is Loren Street Park 2100 W Catalpa model airplane pad future site of dog park. We use to race RC cars there on an oval dirt track. On the aerial photo it looks like there is a perfectly round circle in the grass maybe for the airplanes??
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

In all honesty, it sounds like you may be describing fairy circles. Do either of these resemble what you saw?

http://www.croponline.org/images/fairycircle.jpg

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactShee ... _small.jpg

People used to think they were made by fairies or the devil, and in modern times they've been attributed to UFO's, but I think they might actually have something to do with a fungus.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Re: RE: Circle in the dirt....

Post by Willard »

Sertile wrote: People used to think they were made by fairies or the devil, and in modern times they've been attributed to UFO's, but I think they might actually have something to do with a fungus.
That or a high acidity or some other chemical or something that's in the soil in that particular area.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
ouvgotmel
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by ouvgotmel »

the dirt oval is where we raced RC cars but circle in grass don't know
Attachments
Loren Park on Catalpa.png
Loren Park on Catalpa.png (95.53 KiB) Viewed 10056 times
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Re: RE: Circle in the dirt....

Post by Mindscape »

Sertile wrote:In all honesty, it sounds like you may be describing fairy circles. Do either of these resemble what you saw?

http://www.croponline.org/images/fairycircle.jpg

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactShee ... _small.jpg

People used to think they were made by fairies or the devil, and in modern times they've been attributed to UFO's, but I think they might actually have something to do with a fungus.
Actually, while I don't know what those are, they aren't fairy rings. Fairy rings are circles of mushrooms that vary in diameter anywhere from a few inches to dozens of feet. It's actually something that science has known exactly what creates it for a very long time, though they use the term "fairy circle" as much out of simplicity as anything else, because the technical term for it's a lot harder to say.

What causes a fairy circle is simple, normal fungi growth. A single fungus often covers a significant area below ground, and the tips of that area are often equidistant from a central point, producing a nearly perfect circle. When the fungus has been feeding well, most commonly on the subterranean remains of a stump or something, a good rain has come to prompt it, and the fungus has reached that time in a fungi's life when its thoughts turn to romance, it sends up reproductive organs... mushrooms.

Since those reproductive organs are almost exclusively produced by the outer edge of the fungi's mass (since that assures the most widespread dispersal of spores), the result is a circle of mushrooms that have, as mushrooms are wont to do, popped up overnight.

The fact that they were not there one day, then were there the next, gave rise in medieval superstition to the idea that they were put there by some outside element. This was "supported" by the circular arrangement, which is disturbingly perfect in many cases, and the fact that many mushrooms produce rather large caps, which might be taken to not have grown that way in such a short time (even though they actually grew to that size beneath the ground, then emerged with the coming of the rain and the softening of the earth).

It is considered to be bad luck to step into a fairy circle. Folklore states that this can lead to a loss of time, variant upon the whim of the fairies involved. Rip Van Winkle was said to have stepped into one and found himself engaged in fairy revelry in the popular folktale, and lost forty years (there has been some dispute among folklorists of whether the loss of time is directly hinged upon stepping into the circle, or whether it is due to whatever the fairies decide to do to you for interrupting).

The following are images of fairy rings, showing both a large one and two smaller ones with more detail.

A large fairy ring.

A smaller fairy ring.

Another small fairy ring.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

thats the place, good aerial btw.

i prefer that site to terraserfer.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

City Utilities owns it just call em up and ask them :)

863-9000 x3
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Oh yeah, I've seen stuff like that before in aerial photos, but I never really noticed anything like it on the ground level. Looks kind of like a racetrack.

Also - that IS better than Terraserver :shock:
You have to tell me where you got it!
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

if i am correct, it is from the county assesors page.... in the discussion about the old hospital, there is a link to it.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

assessors office is a wonderful thing. only works for greene county tho