The Future of Urbex?

Post by Nicotti »

Using this for Urbex would be awesome!
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: The Future of Urbex?

Post by mindwaave »

I've thought about using a Matterport or other 3D scanner for documenting exploring before, but building my own would be astronomically complicated, especially since I suck at coding. I've thought about using some comparably generic photogrammetry software, but even though I have a computer with some serious horsepower, I haven't put any real research into it. Imagine being able to record Armour in 3D before it gets demolished...

If I could standardize the output in 3D, and be certain it could be viewed across devices and platforms, I'd go for it. But not everyone has a machine capable of viewing big CAD files, and rendering a preset animation would be silly since video would be higher quality in the first place. It's an understandable shame that Matterport's own cloud software is out of my budget...

Or I could just cave-in and buy a drone like I've been wanting to for a while now...
Preservation over plunder.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: The Future of Urbex?

Post by Nicotti »

If photogrammetry was this interesting 10 years ago when I was in college, I probably wouldn't have failed the class.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand