Similarities in UO explorers

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Similarities in UO explorers

Post by RedRook »

There seems to be some similarities that pop out for people on this site. Most people seem to fall in one of two groups, the college aged kids, and the people about the age that they would be in college when this site first went up. A lot of people here seem to have scientific, engineering, and historical interests. Most people here seem like they enjoy times out doors, and there's a common love for mushrooms that comes around every year. Most people seem very skeptical about conspiracies and the paranormal. Most people here seem to possess an above average intelligence.

Am I right? Do you think those traits describe most people here? There's obviously exceptions. I'm not trying to say everyone is like that. What do you think the cause of the similarities are? Do you think any of these things help in UE? Is there something about college that makes it the perfect time for UE? What do you think?
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

RE: Similarities in UO explorers

Post by ropingk »

well i for one love shrooms im probaly one of the oldest on here and probaly by a LOT of years yes i love being out doors i love exploring old places caves dont do a lot for me but o;d forts and stuff like that does

Most of the people on here are pretty cool and since we have been togther so long kind of have a family feeling ok maybe not close family but at least freinds kind of feeling

I guess i agree with you and remember im old so that means something :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: Similarities in UO explorers

Post by crazydrummerdude »

RedRook wrote:There seems to be some similarities that pop out for people on this site. Most people seem to fall in one of two groups, the college aged kids, and the people about the age that they would be in college when this site first went up. A lot of people here seem to have scientific, engineering, and historical interests. Most people here seem like they enjoy times out doors, and there's a common love for mushrooms that comes around every year. Most people seem very skeptical about conspiracies and the paranormal. Most people here seem to possess an above average intelligence.
Having been on this site for roughly a decade now, particularly through my college years, I suppose I've checked the box for each category you've presented. Not sure about "above average intelligence" because I know enough to know how dumb I am.

I've been exploring all my life, taking bigger risks as I got older. Would I classify myself as an urban explorer for sneaking around back hallways at school in like 2nd grade when no one was looking, or spending all day in the woods by the river looking for old artifacts? Eh.. If so, I've been an explorer since I was single-digits, and exploring actual abandoned buildings since I was probably 11 or 12 or so.

I tend to do my exploring in small groups, and I pick my groups based on their ability to handle exploring situations - reasonably quick, reasonably quiet, respectful of the location. In the process, I've met folks ranging from teenagers to folks in their 50's. Outside of exploring, do these folks have the same interests as me? It's tough to say. We share this interest, and some interests that run tangent to it, but take it away, and I wonder if there's much left that would make us gravitate towards each other any more than we do to complete strangers.

The only real test is an urban exploration dating site.
Meester Beeg
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Meester Beeg »

I think you would be surprised to find there is a contingent of old phartz here.
many of us went in these old buildings when they were still in use, or at least went by them.

as for me, I worked in one of them, barry-Wehmiller, aka terry tech.
Beware the Black Widows...feared throughout the land!
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

My Grandmaw worked at the welsh baby carriage factory for years as a pop welder my grampaw worked at AB a really lot of years ago so trust me I am old
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Yeah, I'm starting to realize my age assumption was really off. For everyone that I know their exact age, they've all been out of college for about 8-12 years, so on a site that got started in 2004, I'm placing those people in that age range. I personally know of one exception. People are immediately coming on here talking about their old age though, so I'm clearly wrong. Maybe that's what I'm missing. People I know about personally are similar, but that could easily be different for every other person on this anonymous site.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

well im nto really sure what age you would get out of school at i guess that all depends on homw long you go DUAHHHHHHH

any way if you started at 18 19?? AND WENT 4-5 YEARS YOU WOULD BE 24 25 Right?? then add 8-12 to that and you have on the top end 37.and im a good 13 over that yep i is old i ahve a daughter who is 28 and one who is 24
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

RedRook wrote: Am I right? Do you think those traits describe most people here?
I think your observations are accurate for the most part. I have met several people on here that are now good friends, some older some younger but within +/- 10 years of my age (mid 20s). The old phartz on here I find fascinating when they have some personal experience to add to a site of discussion. Archinstl has some cool stories hidden in various threads, and ropingk has some garbled bunches of letters that, if you squint just right, have some interesting insights.

The rest of us are your typical millennials, with such associated keywords as photography, STEM, student loans, realist, and quick to call bullshit on trolls and conspiratards. Most of the main posters that were here from the genesis are now gone, unfortunately. It would be interesting to see a scatterplot of the ages of active users on here though.

EDIT: Also I may add that most of us are white, because cops like us more and we get job interviews. Cracker Privelidge: Get yours today! Unless your name begins with Sha- Da- or La-
ropingk wrote:i have a daughter who is 28 and one who is 24
Go on...
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:
ropingk wrote:i have a daughter who is 28 and one who is 24
Go on...
Dibs.
Preservation over plunder.
foto
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by foto »

I think I may fall somewhere between the college-aged kids and the people who were college kids when this site started. I joined 3 something years ago after my older brother told me about it. I'm 24 now and just work to be able to afford car parts and camera gear. Started exploring a few years ago thanks to my brother. I'm just an oddball I guess lol.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

But seriously RedRook poses an interesting question. I have noticed similarities among explorers aslo, and have talked with explorers about this. I think intelligence and education are only cofactors. The internet started bringing together people who are interested in this probably not much earlier than the late '90s. It hadn't really become a "craze" until later. Because life hasn't swept away their free time or their souls yet, most of these folks are within a certain age range (I am an outlier). One's childhood environment probably plays a big role. The propensities that make a person want to explore are probably forged when they are a kid. There are likely genetic components that weigh in too, though I don't remember my parents being anything at all like the Rothers.

With me there is the necessary measure of acceptable risk involved. For it to be fun, there needs to be some feeling of danger or something entirely new to experience. I also have an interest in penetrating.. both for real and in like a figurative sense, e.g. the past/history.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

redox wrote: I also have an interest in penetrating.. both for real and in like a figurative sense, e.g. the past/history.
Hot female history teachers beware.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

Nic, is your mom a history teacher like Willard's by chance?
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

redox wrote:Nic, is your mom a history teacher like Willard's by chance?
Dibs.
Preservation over plunder.