Winoka North

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Winoka North

Post by jammer_smith »

I've been out a couple of times exploring a little area I'm calling Winoka North. If you look on googlemaps terrian view, just across the highway north of Winoka is a box-canyon type area with steep walls on each side. If you imagine the highway wasn't there, you can see that the area we know as Winoka and this area were almost certainly related to each other at one point. Anyway, if you go explore that little canyon you will be treated to some impressive towering karst cliffs on both sides of you. in the very bottom of that canyon, approximately in the center I guess, is an old well. Also on the north side, at the base of the large white bluff, is some old stone work that looks like a little damn or terrace of some kind. There is an overgrown road climbing up the north side of the canyon and out towards the big fancy house above.

Given the terrace and the well and the road down it seems clear to me that this area must have once been used for something, possibly a little private park area? It must have been prone to flooding though, as it is only a few feet higher than the river.

Also Note: I went there in April, but I recall lots of little tiny nettles starting to pop up. So there is a good chance that the whole bottom is cloaked in stinging nettles.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Winoka North

Post by RedRook »

Did you run into any of the black stuff. When on that north side, I'm sometimes noticing black stuff on my clothes when I get back, and I haven't yet figured out what it is, or when exactly it is rubbing off on my pants.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: Winoka North

Post by jammer_smith »

I noticed no generic black stuff on my clothes.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine