Madison County WMA closures

Urban exploration in Arkansas
hunterhusker
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Madison County WMA closures

Post by hunterhusker »

I am curious to hear about any issues people have had with the closures in the WMA. We were down earlier this year searching for Whippoorwill(Not planning to enter, just to mark it down to explore later with permission) and just doing some general exploration and hiking. We did notice that the caves were closed, and soon later we even had two run ins with the WMA manager. Truthfully we weren't even doing anything to warrant being chased off other than having headlamps on us during the day, but we were literally chased off the WMA. I am curious though since I see semi recent posts of people in the WMA, is there a time when the caves aren't closed? Will the caves ever even be not closed? Also has anyone else had experiences like us in the WMA with the manager?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Madison County WMA closures

Post by Nicotti »

Caves, in general, have been closed for about a decade now. They're trying to mitigate the spread of White Nose Syndrome.

I don't know if that's the issue in the WMA or not, but if a cave is considered "closed" from exploration, it's usually cause of WNS.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand