Hootentown

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Hootentown

Post by BROUSER »

Directions: Campbell Street South to Highlandville. Turn right on "O" follow to James River past the trout farm. The trout farm deserves a peek, if you have time. But the real treat is Hootentown. This is the trailer trash Riviera-on-the-James. As you cross the bridge, there is a canoe rental service on the left. While asking about the whereabouts of a cave nearby, and who might own it, I encountered three lovely people with about 10 teeth among them, and they were all probably under 40. Hard to say. The gentleman of the group had a lovely jailhouse tatoo on his throat that said "i hate nigers." I wondered how he felt about Chads and Libyas, but didn't ask. The cave nearby: cross bridge to where road comes to a T, turn left. Follow around curve to right, and where road curves left again, pull up to gate. Get out and walk, following road, to cave. Road really doesn't go to cave, but if you go to where it looks like there might be a cave, there is one. Low crawl thru entrance, then you are in a tunnel looks like man-made, but probably isn't. Could drive a golf cart through it. Level floor. Can follow back to where there has been a collapse at some point. Possibly could go back past there, but I didn't, because I hadn't told anyone where I was going. As far as who owns the land, no one seemed to know, or they lived out of state. Asked all the nearest neighbors, and no one gave us a hard time when we gave up and just went on in. But we did get to meet some interesting people!
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

RE: Hootentown

Post by gimpface »

BROWSER wrote:The gentleman of the group had a lovely jailhouse tatoo on his throat that said "i hate nigers."
Now that's comedy!
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

while you are in the area, may want to check out the James River Arch, aka the Hurley Arch. Largest free standing natural arch in the state of Missouri. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get there by road, although I know it can be done. I've always visited from the river. Anyone know directions from the road?
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Bigger than the natural bridge and balancing rock of Eureka Springs?!? Impossible!

I've ran into these types before on caving missions down into Arkansas (not so much in MO), so I know where you're coming from. To be fair, they're usually pretty helpful and courteus to strangers... white ones, anyway.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Actually, I do know the way by road, though I've never been there myself. I ran across the info while doing some research on a mine and hung onto it.
The actual location of the arch is: Section 30, Township 26, Range 22, which puts it almost due east-just a bit south- of Hurley about eight miles. It can be reached by traveling farm-tomarket road "A" out of Hurley to the top of Hooten Hill then follow the road to High Ridge Church. Turn left at the church, go a half mile east and you are at the arch.
It should be pointed out that these directions are from the 60's, so they probably are way out of date. However, anyone with a map of Stone County with Township and Range should be able to find it pretty quick. It's supposed to be about 75-100 feet wide and about the same distance tall.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Hootentown

Post by White Rabbit »

BROUSER wrote:while you are in the area, may want to check out the James River Arch, aka the Hurley Arch. Largest free standing natural arch in the state of Missouri. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get there by road, although I know it can be done. I've always visited from the river. Anyone know directions from the road?
I don't know directions from the road, but I can tell you how to pinpoint it on a map. Look at the James River right there beside Hurley and Hootentown, and look at where the river makes a shape exactly like a hound dog's head. The arch is supposed to be right around the tip of the nose.
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

We used to have massize partys at the arch. I don't remember exactly how to get it( it has been like 7 years) but I will ask a friend and post the directions. About 5 years ago a guy fell off of it and died and now the police freek out when people are there and they are not very nice police.
SpineBob
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by SpineBob »

BROUSER wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:09 am while you are in the area, may want to check out the James River Arch, aka the Hurley Arch. Largest free standing natural arch in the state of Missouri. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get there by road, although I know it can be done. I've always visited from the river. Anyone know directions from the road?
I've been there, I think it's only really accessible by river because of the anxious property owners. The road can get you close but I'm pretty sure they have surveillance to prevent that. Me and my friend got there by canoe. We made a lot of noise so after we left we heard people trudging around, probably looking for us. We got picked up along the road from another point by a local and he said the property owners really don't like people on there because someone got drunk once and fell of the arch and died, There are beer cans from the 70s. He said he's known them for 20 years and after asking them to look around, he was denied.
RedBullRider
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by RedBullRider »

SpineBob wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:52 pm
BROUSER wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:09 am while you are in the area, may want to check out the James River Arch, aka the Hurley Arch. Largest free standing natural arch in the state of Missouri. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get there by road, although I know it can be done. I've always visited from the river. Anyone know directions from the road?
I've been there, I think it's only really accessible by river because of the anxious property owners. The road can get you close but I'm pretty sure they have surveillance to prevent that. Me and my friend got there by canoe. We made a lot of noise so after we left we heard people trudging around, probably looking for us. We got picked up along the road from another point by a local and he said the property owners really don't like people on there because someone got drunk once and fell of the arch and died, There are beer cans from the 70s. He said he's known them for 20 years and after asking them to look around, he was denied.
I second this. Myself and my buddy were dropped off at the road access point last night. Made it to the arch in like 2 minutes, but who we had drop us off was stopped by police just down the road and questioned.

They got away fine and picked us up later, but if you head in by road you've seriously got about 10 minutes tops before someone shows up looking.
This was at 2am and all regular precautions. (no lights till down in the holler, quiet, ect.)
They absolutely have to have some form of sensors or alarms that we missed.

Also be careful out there, especially if you head down the land route for this one, the edge comes up very fast.