Ash Grove/ Skylight Cave and Low Water Bridge Cave

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Baileybrucem
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Ash Grove/ Skylight Cave and Low Water Bridge Cave

Post by Baileybrucem »

I know the general area that both of these caves are located, but I was wondering if anyone could pm me coordinates or give me some suggestions-for ash grove cave- on which entrance is the best to enter through? Any and all help is appreciated; I just need the exact locations to save time when I travel towards the Springfield area this spring.

Thanks! :D
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: Ash Grove/ Skylight Cave and Low Water Bridge Cave

Post by jammer_smith »

use the search feature. Ash grove cave has been thoroughly discussed and the location given. Also, the cave is labled on most topo maps. It's on the Sac river west of town.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I remember a thread that gave perfect directions to low water bridge cave.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

GC posted a map with the exact way to get from 160 to the sewer entrance of Ash Grove Cave.

Incidentally, Low Water Bridge Cave was rather easy to find before it's location was posted here, they put a topo map overlay on the cave map. Just had to match the location.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Baileybrucem
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Baileybrucem »

Nicotti wrote:GC posted a map with the exact way to get from 160 to the sewer entrance of Ash Grove Cave.

Incidentally, Low Water Bridge Cave was rather easy to find before it's location was posted here, they put a topo map overlay on the cave map. Just had to match the location.
What is GC? :oops: :lol:

And is "they" GC as well?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

You're killing me smalls.

GC = GlassCurtain and they = the people that created the cave map

-Ayn Rand
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

There are at least nine threads for Skylight Cave. Maybe more. I didn't search for Ash Grove cave.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

BROUSER wrote:I didn't search for Ash Grove cave.
9 for an "For all terms match" on the Missouri forum.

If you can't find the map to the sewer entrance of Ash Grove cave out of 9 threads, then maybe you're just retarded.

-Ayn Rand
Baileybrucem
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Baileybrucem »

I do have my moments haha. I've found them. Thanks!

So is Low water bridge cave just off of farm road 74 on the sac river? Thats the only bridge I see in close proximity to Ash Grove's Skylight Cave.

I did search the forums before asking this question to avoid looking like an idiot twice :idea:
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Baileybrucem wrote:I do have my moments haha. I've found them. Thanks!

So is Low water bridge cave just off of farm road 74 on the sac river? Thats the only bridge I see in close proximity to Ash Grove's Skylight Cave.

I did search the forums before asking this question to avoid looking like an idiot twice :idea:
Yeah, When I went there was a path on the north east side of the bridge that went straight to the cave. The cave has an obvious opening, it was rather easy to find actually.

-Ayn Rand
Baileybrucem
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Baileybrucem »

Nicotti wrote:

Yeah, When I went there was a path on the north east side of the bridge that went straight to the cave. The cave has an obvious opening, it was rather easy to find actually.
Why thank you for the information, I appriciate it. Hoping this will be a nice first cave (skylight)
Baileybrucem
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Baileybrucem »

Nicotti wrote:

Why thank you for the information, I appriciate it. Hoping this will be a nice first cave (skylight)
Baileybrucem
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Ash Grove/ Skylight Cave and Low Water Bridge Cave

Post by Baileybrucem »

I'm going to Ash grove this upcoming Wednesday, and I am confident I have thoroughly searched every thread on this forum with the term "ash grove" or "skylight cave". I just need a map of Ash Grove cave, not a topo, but one of all the passages. I have located what appears to be a paint drawing with the computer of major passages, but I'm looking for something a tad more detailed. I've attached the closest things I have, but any help would be greatly appreciated. :D
Attachments
I also have this
I also have this
The photo I have is higher quality than this, but I just don't have the whole cave!!
The photo I have is higher quality than this, but I just don't have the whole cave!!
image.jpg (7.43 KiB) Viewed 11573 times
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Your map there pretty much covers it. The layout for Ash Grove cave isn't too complex, very little risk of getting lost or anything. I once explored the whole thing and it took about 5-6 hours. I would say that the "upper muddy passage" is not really work your time. That is the passage that branches to the north that has lots of areas ladled with low head clearance on your map. It is a long low muddy crawl that shrinks off into nothing. All of the rest is pretty good. Can't go wrong.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
Baileybrucem
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Ash Grove/ Skylight Cave and Low Water Bridge Cave

Post by Baileybrucem »

SO.

I did some digging and emailing and eventually came across 2 different versions of the map for ash grove's crown jewel. I laminated them both and bought 200 lumen headlights for me and my partner, then we got hard hats and headed out. We looked around for low water bridge, but we couldn't find the entrance (we only looked for a few minutes) and we were bombarded by ticks. Therefor, we only ended up entering ash grove's Skylight cave.

I've never been in a wild cave before, so I mean ash grove seemed (according to the Internet) like it was rather tame and a good starting cave. Anyways, the water in the sewer passage was definitely flowing. When we got back into the cave, the water we were walking in literally got up to our breast bones. It was chilly, but I was prepared for worse. We eventually made our way out of the water and took a left towards the skylight entrance. The formations are rather few and far between in that area, but it was amazing to be in a cave with just a map, flashlights, and headlights. The amount of mud in the cave was ridiculous. It wasn't unmanageable, but I can say I didn't expect all of the cave to be THAT muddy. There was a part where I literally had to drag my partner up the side of a mud pile because she couldn't quite get her footing to climb up it as I had done.

We found the autograph room, which like others have stated had carvings from the 1880's. The crawling to get there was so awesome, and the formations in the autograph room were literally amazing. We milled around that room for quite a bit because everything about it was truly breathtaking. After that, we continued farther down the south passage. However, exactly what I had been worried about became true- it turned out that the water had practically filled up the passage. We didn't get too far that direction. There was a sign from the early 1900s about how others had only made it that far because of water, too. I would like to mention that it was significantly colder in the autograph room then it was near the skylight entrance, which obviously is because the sun isn't in the depths of the cave, but I definitely got really chilly. I had heavy duty boots, jeans, and a long-sleeved crew neck shirt on. Oh, and gloves of course!

After we reached that dead end we decided to turn around. The two of us left and traveled all the way back through the way we came. We walked through all the water again, which wasn't as scary the second time. I'm proud to say we made it without a scratch, honestly. I just wish we could have seen more!! Towards the dead end, we heard tons of bats. It's a shame the water was too high so we couldn't go see them.

Like I stated earlier, this was my first wild cave (and for my partner, the first cave ever). The only time I've ever even been underground was when I visited silver dollar city a few times last year. I went from that to spending 4 hours unguided with my best friend in the cave. It was quite a bit more physically demanding than I expected, and the terrain was crazier than I thought. However, I am so excited to have finally gone spelunking and I can't wait to go again. Caving literally feels like survival training but for recreation and to see some cool rocks. I feel like I've joined the club :D

We both brought a waterproof disposable camera, and we did our damnedest to get good photos. I'll have to post them in a few days, but until then I'll leave you with the ones taken before I decided my phone should be left on a safe ledge near the entrance (along with my keys and wallet even though they were already soaked and remote key for the car no longer works...).

Tbh it probably wasn't a good idea to enter with the water that high, but we did. And now we are badasses. :twisted:
Attachments
The entrance was a bit larger than I thought it would be...
The entrance was a bit larger than I thought it would be...
How cool we felt
How cool we felt
View from a bit inside
View from a bit inside
I'm obviously not very experienced but I thought these might be cave pearls lol
I'm obviously not very experienced but I thought these might be cave pearls lol