Kreider Horse Track East of Rivercut Golf Course

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Kreider Horse Track East of Rivercut Golf Course

Post by RedRook »

I've been by here a lot, but surprisingly I missed a lot of details of what was near here. The was a huge piece of land that is all park board land now. It looks like the woman that owned it deeded it to the Park Board and they just haven't figure out how to use it yet.

You can still see remains of the horse track here:
Map

It looks like a house and a silo are out here:
Map

Something larger out here, probably a barn:
Map

Even the land east of here is mostly public with the exceptions of those buildings to the. From about this island north it is mostly park land now:
Map

It even has an interesting non-abandoned place. You can cross the street to the north and visit the Missouri Institute of Natural Science. They have dinosaur fossils, and they are actively digging in a cave gated to the public. You can read more here:
http://www.monatsci.org/
Map
Last edited by RedRook on Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Kreider Horse Track East of Rivercut Golf Course

Post by RedRook »

RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

This might be the last year it is like this though. 4 Million dollars worth of development is scheduled for 2016:
http://www.springfieldmo.gov/DocumentCe ... /View/3776
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: Kreider Horse Track East of Rivercut Golf Course

Post by jammer_smith »

I had gone out and looked at the old track before, but never the other stuff. I checked them out today. It's a big beautiful old house. Hard wood floors, stairs, basement, greehouse/patio attached to kitchen.

As of right now, it's essentially a hobo hotel. Every room had a hobo camp in it. I guess it is a damn nice place if you were a hobo.

The other building is something like a livestock auction barn, that's what it looks like to me. A few other outbuilding scattered around, and something unique I've never seen before, but also damned clever. A hunting blind made to look like a round hay bale.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Pretty out of the way for your standard hobo. Generally don't find them that far away from amenities.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Rural hobos?
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Kinda hard to cadge cigarette money from deer.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Well, I assumed it was a Hobo hotel since almost every room had mattresses in the corner, no frame, just mattress, sheets hung up over the windows, and random scattered litter of like food packages and tooth paste tubes and stuff. I don't acutally think I saw a low of liquor bottles. I don't really remember. I can't think of what else it would have been. I didn't actually see any hobos while I was there.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

jammer_smith wrote:I can't think of what else it would have been.
Really? You can't think of anything else that would require a mattress and some privacy by covering the windows...

-Ayn Rand
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I can think of lots of things that require a mattress and drawn windows, but not in a rotting leaky old house out in the woods with other mattresses in every other bedroom.

I mean I was a teenager too, but if I had a car to get me out there, I would have just shagged in the car. That place is gross.

Now you've got me imagining an old run down musty moldy house with nasty mouse-chewed mattresses being used as brothel for the kind of people who have no better place than a run down old house in the woods to shag.

*shiver*
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

That's just fractally gross.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Well, different strokes for different folks when it comes to getting your jollys off.

-Ayn Rand
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Could just have been a redneck deer camp. It would be interesting to put up a game cam and see exactly who does use the place.
― Ken Ham
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Keep in mind this place was turned over to the city in 2008. If you look up Park Board meetings, the house was originally going to be turned into some kind of Park Board office. I doubt it was leaky and moldy back then. 7 years of the Park Board forgetting about the place though, and the place obviously went to hell. There's a chance that whatever you are finding in the house now was put there at a time the house was in better condition.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

That's true, well someone else go out and have a look and tell me what you think. I agree it seems a little out of the way for Hobos, but I've found hobos at Winoka before, and that's a little out of the way too. So I dunno. But it is obvious that someone still uses the property for hunting.