Morel Season Coming up

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Morel Season Coming up

Post by BROUSER »

lolabelle wrote: also found a chicken of the woods last night. never found that before.
Keep track of where that was. They come back every year, same place. Sometimes more than once. I haven't been lately. Hopefully get some rain this weekend and I'll make a point to do it. Really hoping for a bearded tooth this year.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Found a hen of the woods. Breaded and fried some of it, made soup with the rest. Pretty good eating, and so much of it. Ended up freezing some of it.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Morel Season Coming up

Post by paul06660 »

Thread back from the dead. It appears we have an early season this year, and since im in town for a few weeks, looks like ill be hitting the woods this weekend.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Slow start to the season for me, but I only spent about 30 minutes looking.
― Ken Ham
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I wonder what affect the late frost mornings had. I can't believe we had one of the warmest winters with some of the coldest Spring mornings. I normally find what little I do in April anyway, I hope to get out for a good long period next week.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I'm thinking Thursday might be the day. Chance of rain Wednesday, temps are staying pretty up (lows in the 40s, but general knowledge has it that as long as day and night temps combine to stay at 100 then good growing weather). Sunday looks awesome, temp wise. Still not going to find the big ones, just the little black ones, I think.
― Ken Ham
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

nothing up in the north end of the county yet.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I've been out for like 2 weeks, spent 5 hours at Busiek last weekend. I've not seen a damn one yet. With such a warm wet winter I was really hoping it would be a banner year.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I've been out for like 2 weeks, spent 5 hours at Busiek last weekend. I've not seen a damn one yet. With such a warm wet winter I was really hoping it would be a banner year.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

jammer_smith wrote:I've been out for like 2 weeks, spent 5 hours at Busiek last weekend. I've not seen a damn one yet. With such a warm wet winter I was really hoping it would be a banner year.
Buesik is too well known of an area, and once they start coming up, they are usually gone. Try looking for land that not many people go through. Myself, still no luck, although have not been out since Sunday. Going out tomorrow if all holds well.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Looked in one of my spots today. Nothing. We'll see if I get a chance to look this weekend. Rain possible Saturday, Sunday.
― Ken Ham
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

Found 5 really small ones Thursday in a small valley by Fellows lake. 4 blacks and one yellow. A friend of mine who lives just north of the lake also found about 50 large ones on his property. Planning on getting up early today and hitting the woods till nightfall.
ThumYorky
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ThumYorky »

Went out last evening to our usual hillside spot. Weren't any big groups. Spent about an hour and found 7 or 8 greys here and there. So at least for my area it's still a tad early for the big groups of yellows, but this weather hasn't been helping. I swear April so far has been cooler than March. Obviously that's not true but lately it almost feels that way. Sunday is looking warm and rainy, so I'm hoping Monday to go out and get a good haul.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Lot of walking to find the big ones. Grays were mostly in one spot. Never found more than four of the yellows under one tree. They were on a ridge, mostly under sycamores. The grays were under hickories. A little more warm weather and the yellows should start coming up down in the hollows.Image
― Ken Ham
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Not my photo, but look at the size of that thing...

Preservation over plunder.