Underground Ozarks Forum Gallery Forum Blog
Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in

Morel Season Coming up
View previous topic | View next topic  
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Morel Season Coming up Reply with quote

lolabelle wrote:
also found a chicken of the woods last night. never found that before.

Keep track of where that was. They come back every year, same place. Sometimes more than once. I haven't been lately. Hopefully get some rain this weekend and I'll make a point to do it. Really hoping for a bearded tooth this year.

BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Morel Season Coming up Reply with quote

Found a hen of the woods. Breaded and fried some of it, made soup with the rest. Pretty good eating, and so much of it. Ended up freezing some of it.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Locations: Idaho Springs, CO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: RE: Morel Season Coming up Reply with quote

Thread back from the dead. It appears we have an early season this year, and since im in town for a few weeks, looks like ill be hitting the woods this weekend.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Morel Season Coming up Reply with quote

Slow start to the season for me, but I only spent about 30 minutes looking.

RedRook
500+ Poster
Member for: 4 years, 4 months500+ Poster

Locations: Springfield

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Morel Season Coming up Reply with quote

I wonder what affect the late frost mornings had. I can't believe we had one of the warmest winters with some of the coldest Spring mornings. I normally find what little I do in April anyway, I hope to get out for a good long period next week.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Morel Season Coming up Reply with quote

I'm thinking Thursday might be the day. Chance of rain Wednesday, temps are staying pretty up (lows in the 40s, but general knowledge has it that as long as day and night temps combine to stay at 100 then good growing weather). Sunday looks awesome, temp wise. Still not going to find the big ones, just the little black ones, I think.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Locations: SWMO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Morel Season Coming up Reply with quote

nothing up in the north end of the county yet.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Morel Season Coming up Reply with quote

I've been out for like 2 weeks, spent 5 hours at Busiek last weekend. I've not seen a damn one yet. With such a warm wet winter I was really hoping it would be a banner year.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Morel Season Coming up Reply with quote

I've been out for like 2 weeks, spent 5 hours at Busiek last weekend. I've not seen a damn one yet. With such a warm wet winter I was really hoping it would be a banner year.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Morel Season Coming up Reply with quote

jammer_smith wrote:

Buesik is too well known of an area, and once they start coming up, they are usually gone. Try looking for land that not many people go through. Myself, still no luck, although have not been out since Sunday. Going out tomorrow if all holds well.

BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Morel Season Coming up Reply with quote

Looked in one of my spots today. Nothing. We'll see if I get a chance to look this weekend. Rain possible Saturday, Sunday.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: RE: Morel Season Coming up Reply with quote

Found 5 really small ones Thursday in a small valley by Fellows lake. 4 blacks and one yellow. A friend of mine who lives just north of the lake also found about 50 large ones on his property. Planning on getting up early today and hitting the woods till nightfall.
ThumYorky
0-99 Poster
Member for: 1 year, 9 months0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Morel Season Coming up Reply with quote

Went out last evening to our usual hillside spot. Weren't any big groups. Spent about an hour and found 7 or 8 greys here and there. So at least for my area it's still a tad early for the big groups of yellows, but this weather hasn't been helping. I swear April so far has been cooler than March. Obviously that's not true but lately it almost feels that way. Sunday is looking warm and rainy, so I'm hoping Monday to go out and get a good haul.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Morel Season Coming up Reply with quote

Lot of walking to find the big ones. Grays were mostly in one spot. Never found more than four of the yellows under one tree. They were on a ridge, mostly under sycamores. The grays were under hickories. A little more warm weather and the yellows should start coming up down in the hollows.
mindwaave
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Locations: Laint Souis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Morel Season Coming up Reply with quote

Not my photo, but look at the size of that thing...

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6