Morel Season Coming up

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Morel Season Coming up

Post by paul06660 »

Ive been out every day so far and found nothing. Going out again this afternoon.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
sulfurburner
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Morel Season Coming up

Post by sulfurburner »

Here's our take from Last Sunday 4/12/15

Image[/url]

lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Re: Morel Season Coming up

Post by lolabelle »

we found maybe 6. disappointing for sure, but considering the cloud cover kept the temps lower than anticipated I shouldn't be surprised. today is a new, bluer, warmer day!

we've got the 6 sitting in the fridge, waiting to be added to!
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Tried coral mushroom last night. Not that good and gave me the shits. This weather should be bringing out some other goodies, though. Really like to find another bearded tooth.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Bearded tooth are my favourite fragrance-wise. They small so damn good. I heard somewhere that because they are so fragrant they make a particularly good mushroom for making fine brothy soups with. I've only ever fried them though.

As far as coral goes. I hear that there are several species or coral but only the Crown-Tipped is totally safe. The others are all mildly toxic as in they wont kill you, but they can give you bowel trouble, which sounds like your situation. I had some once and found it to be, well, mostly tasteless, more for texture. So I added it to spaghetti sauce and that was pretty good.

I've found one Chicken of the Woods, about a week ago. That was good, but I am really eager for Chants to pop. They are my favorite, and I can usually get a massive haul of them.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

It was definitely crown tip, but my source said even that can give you some distress. Didn't eat a whole lot of it, but my body just decided it wasn't anything it wanted.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

With all the rain, I'm seeing a lot of fungi growing in our yard. Amongst some moss we have under a shaded section of our yard, I'm seeing NEON orange little mushrooms. Not big, and when I say neon, I mean neon.
I've been going over the MDC website and not seeing anything that screams at me what they could be. Maybe Lobster Mushroom. Anyone know what I'm seeing?
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Unfortunately I need a shape and not just a color to tell what it might be. Also, is it growing in the grass or on wood? I found some awesome meadow mushrooms not too long ago. They are real closely related to button mushrooms in the store, and taste a lot like them. Prepared like champignons. Delicious. I need to get out and hunt some more. I missed some good opportunities, I think.
― Ken Ham
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

I'll have to look again at the shape. Very small, indiscriminate shape, so neon orange. Need to get a pic. They grow in the moss under some trees in our yard.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Orange mycena?
― Ken Ham
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

I think so.

And after last night's rain (I know someone in our area that got 5 inches), I've got some black mushrooms that popped up in my garden overnight. I need to go research.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Had a nice chanterelle omelet this morning. Good year for fungus.
― Ken Ham
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Two Wal-Mart bags of chanterelles today.
― Ken Ham
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

we stayed at some cabins over the July 4th weekend, and there were chantarelles all along the path to the lake. I'm kicking myself for not picking them.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

Been finding chantarelles in the path in our woods behind our house lately. also found a chicken of the woods last night. never found that before.