Morel Season Coming up

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Morel Season Coming up

Post by RedRook »

I found countless mushrooms today, just no morels. When I move wood chips and May Apples aside, I saw unidentifiable buttons yet to open their cap. I'm guessing we'll see quite a few more if we can just get a heavier rain without the temperature dropping.
Last edited by RedRook on Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Morel Season Coming up

Post by BROUSER »

Frustrating morel day. Stomped the woods for some time, all I found was part of a morel someone else had dropped.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

If only these were Morels. I think I might try further out from the city tomorrow.
Attachments
Mushrooms.jpg
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

BROUSER wrote:Frustrating morel day. Stomped the woods for some time, all I found was part of a morel someone else had dropped.
I got fooled twice this weekend by half eaten upside down walnuts.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I'm thinking this weekend will be good for morels, but I'm having my vas deferens disconnected from my seminal vesicles Friday and probably won't feel like hitting the woods. Bad timing.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I went tromping around in Busieck for hours and only found a few small ones, then Monday after work I check a little line of trees that serves as a wind break behind my office and voila, found 30 of them, nice sized too. Then I was driving through one of the interchanges north of town and you know those little islands of trees that are kinda trapped between the off and on ramps at interchanges? I crossed roads out to one of those and found another twenty or so.

Who knew.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

nice finds! cookout at your house? :)

were the median trees evergreens? I have had good luck under those before. im thinking the dropped, decomposing needles produce the right amount of food for these guys.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Yeah, they were cedar. I did notice a sharp difference in species and growing pattern of the morels under the cedars. They tended to be the smaller white/grey ones with the dark colored pits, and they also tended to grow individually unlike in closely associated flushes like the bigger yellows found in the wind-break.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

Going out this afternoon to a new place for another try.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Found another 17 this afternoon all under one tree in a wind break behind an apartment complex. They were all up under a cedar tree which was kinda combined with/growing around (you know how sometimes two trees will come out of the exact same spot and be kind wrapped around each other) some other tree that was dead that I couldn't ID but I think maple.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

BROUSER wrote:I'm thinking this weekend will be good for morels, but I'm having my vas deferens disconnected from my seminal vesicles Friday and probably won't feel like hitting the woods. Bad timing.
Tired of producing so many bastard children?
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I'd just have to kill them. There can be only one.
― Ken Ham
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

So I'm looking in a "Hardwood Grove" the state maintains, but it's a different environment than where I've looked before. There's a lot of mowed grass, though not recently mowed. The trees are in rows with a lot of space between them. I didn't find a single morel. :(

I'm debating about whether to go back there or not. I hear they are supposed to come in around hardwoods, and that place has more Elms than I've seen anywhere, but I looked out there for 2 hours and saw just about every variety of mushroom one could think of other than morels. The one time I found morels I wasn't trying. Now I'm trying, it's frustrating to see no signs of them for hours.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Morels will grow where morels will grow is about the only rule I've found. I found some really nice ones on a gravel bar on a creek last year.
― Ken Ham
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

yep my weird one last year was in the gravel next to a tiny asphalt bridge. we were throwing rocks into the creek beneath with our daughter and I glanced over and saw it. was prob 3 inches tall.

going out tonight. this afternoon has potential.