Morel Season Coming up

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: Morel Season Coming up

Post by jammer_smith »

I don't care much for Dryad Saddles. They have such a distinct smell, very clearly a smell of watermelon rind, but I don't like the taste myself.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Morel Season Coming up

Post by paul06660 »

Been out looking in the northern part of the county for the last three days and found nothing. Surprised, cause it seems conditions are absolutely perfect. Did find hella amount of Dryads Saddle. Cant believe you dont like the taste, its great fried in good quality butter.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I've been hitting the woods daily for the past week. We are so close. I can say there are almost certainly little ones out there under the leaves right now, I just haven't found them, but by this weekend they will start poking their heads up. It will be 5 days of warm day, warm nights, and gentle morning showers in a row, that is like.....ideal.

I have been seeing May Apple, Gallerina Mushrooms, Inky Caps, and tons of False Morels. Those are all good signs.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I looked in one of my regular spots, but nothing yet. Mayapple just starting to come up. I'll be hitting it hard this weekend, though.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

I dreamt about morels last night. that means they're out right? :p
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

I am considering redoing my strategy this year, and looking for a new place. Hopefully somewhere within a decent driving distance that has not already been picked.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I did a lot of searching last year...and I mean a LOT, I covered a ton of ground, and only found 4 total. That really sucked. I am going to do everything in my power to do better this year.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

I found about 10, including 2 really fat ones, here in downtown Springfield.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Down town? Like in the wooded areas down near the tracks and the creek? Where the hobos live?
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

Yea not the most ideal place lol. Covered in fucking trash everywhere.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Aren't those woods full of hobos? Maybe hobos should sell morels at $20 a pound.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

Yea lately there have been a lot more of them. The other day I accidentally surprised a group of them camped out with tents while following a game trail. God man, they leave so much trash everywhere, I can hardly stand it.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Found five today. None bigger than the first joint of my thumb. Really could have used some moisture to get to a decent size. Morels, I mean. Not hobos.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

Found (and left) two yesterday up here in the north side of Greene Cty. Need more rain.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

Was not going to mention it, but last Saturday I went looking around the Springfield lake area. Found only 1 small black morel, which was already picked and look like it fell out someone's bag. Then I went to one of the state forests in Christian county, and found nothing again. Very disappointing, cause reports are out that people are finding them in large numbers. However, I will note that last year, sometime after 4/20, I found most of the yellows I picked downtown. Maybe we just need to wait a bit longer, and get some more rain.