For sale plot with disconnected Greenway?

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

For sale plot with disconnected Greenway?

Post by jammer_smith »

There is a big plot of land off west sunshine for sale, 115 Acres I think it said. The plot has a few abandoned buildings on it and clearly used to be farm land. But I noticed one very weird feature, something that appears to be an abandoned or disconnected greenway of sorts. I don't know what to make of it. It doesn't look like a road built for a never realized subdivision. It's too narrow and doesn't connect to anything. It also doesn't look like a greenway cause it has these little weird mini-culs-de-sac at the ends, and also doesn't connect to anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

37.196951, -93.386302
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: For sale plot with disconnected Greenway?

Post by Nicotti »

My guess is it's a private greenway for the unfinished subdivision that borders the south eastern part of it.

That large parcel is owned by Great Southern Bank as of 1/2014. I can't see the previous owner but I'm guessing someone that defaulted on a loan or something like that.

Then the next part is owned by Bissell Building Inc and the southern most part before in turns north and ends is owned by Vintage Hills Homeowners Assoc.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

That's kinda what it looks like, but you'd expect it to connect to something right, like merge into the side walk system of the subdivision? It's just so weird.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: For sale plot with disconnected Greenway?

Post by SubLunar »

alien spaceship landing strip. duh.
squeaksman
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by squeaksman »

The Google street view looking east down the path makes it look like someone had access to a whole lot of cheap concrete. It just follows the contours of the land and meanders off into the distance. Weird. Some sort of walking path to nowhere. It's weird how it comes so close to the road, but not close enough to ever connect to a future sidewalk.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

It shows up in 2007 the same exact time that the fenced in area constructing the neighborhood shows up. I'm pretty sure they planned it. They could have done more. They just left a pile of bagged cement in the fenced in area. You can still see it there, the bags broke open, it mixed in the rain, and now it's a little monument to waste.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

Are you talking about what is circled? If so that goes with Vintage Hills subdivision and is something they put in for their residents.

http://bussellbuilding.com/subdivisions/vintage-hills/

Also I have NEVER seen anyone using it and I am by there all the time.
Attachments
path.png
Kit wrote:I am old
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I've seen people on it 1 out of 2 times that I've been on it. He was a bow hunter coming out of the trees. It's illegal to hunt there, isn't it? Funny thing was that he was parked in the same spot we were, the clubhouse. So we were both not residents of Vintage Hill.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I think I spy a nice spot for some Morel hunting when the season breaks.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I was thinking the same thing. That whole area is full of rotting plywood hidden in the grass. I have a feeling that will be mushroom heaven.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

unless there's a nearby creek, or an east facing timberline you may be barking up the wrong tree
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

lolabelle wrote:unless there's a nearby creek, or an east facing timberline you may be barking up the wrong tree
These may be good indicators, but in my experience, morels have no rules. They are fungal anarchists. They will be where you find them. I have found them in people's yards, far from east facing timber and creeks.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

The plywood is laying in a thickly grassed area that is relatively low. It isn't a creek, but it seems to be plenty moist even just from morning dew. We're talking about tall uncut grass though. The only way you even know the plywood is there is that you feel it giving under your feet when you step on it. If you get moisture trapped over that when the temperature goes up, I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one type of mushroom there in the Spring. Whether it is morels or not will be the question.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I was talking more about the wooded areas off the trail than actually along the trail itself. That is a fairly big and fairly empty plot.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I'm talking about the area near the abandoned house. It's in the wooded area in a small clearing about 100 meters off the trail.