Someone tell me what Geocaching is and how to do it

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Someone tell me what Geocaching is and how to do it

Post by jammer_smith »

So, I've heard of this Geocaching thing. And for the first time in my life I feel like an old man who has to ask the kids what that new fangled thing is, long after it has become old fangled.

It seems like something I should know how to do. What is it, how does it work, and every so often I find these little containers while out exploring with a log book and little knick knacks tucked way back in the most random placed.

Elucidate para mi por favor.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: Someone tell me what Geocaching is and how to do it

Post by mindwaave »

People hide objects or caches and provide clues (or straight-up coordinates) for how to find them. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=geocaching
Preservation over plunder.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

But I've also heard of Geocaching being used simply as informal databases of Points of Interest?

Is that the same thing or no?
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

I have always done it where you have to find a small box or whatnot and you can take something out of it as long as you put something back. They usually have gum ball machine sort of things inside. Sometimes a note pad to make notes.
Kit wrote:I am old
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I've found several, although I don't look for them. They have been in some pretty neat places I was going to go, anyway. Seems like fun. Found one in a small cave in Hercules Glade. So maybe they are a way to find cool places.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham