Interesting feature near Nathan Boone homestead.

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Interesting feature near Nathan Boone homestead.

Post by RedRook »

The homestead office doesn't work very well. I don't think that park ranger gets many visits. He was out immediately on my arrival asking if I wanted a tour. I started walking out to the house, and he was just standing there watching me. Not to mention he said their hours are 1PM-4PM, which ends in the gates being locked, so you need to be there at a specific time.

FR 35 seemed perfect. The road is down a hill not visible from the house. The bad news is there are 3 very large dogs. The gigantic white one was pretty intimidating. He got right in front of my car and growled at me, keeping me from moving without hitting him. I had to back up, which he followed me until I could turn around. I didn't see any people, but there are tons of visible No Trespassing signs and purple paint everywhere. That combined with the dogs kept me from trying that route.

If you go north on Highway V, and you take a right on FR 33, there is a gravel parking spot on the left. The creek south of there just happens to be owned by the Missouri Conservation Department. :)
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Interesting feature near Nathan Boone homestead.

Post by RedRook »

It appears this is one of the original quarries for this company:
http://www.ashgrove.com/OurCompany/about_history.asp

That would make this indirectly connected to the quarry around Galloway as well I suppose.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: RE: Interesting feature near Nathan Boone homestead.

Post by Nicotti »

RedRook wrote:It appears this is one of the original quarries for this company:
http://www.ashgrove.com/OurCompany/about_history.asp

That would make this indirectly connected to the quarry around Galloway as well I suppose.
Conco runs the quarry in Galloway currently.
Conco Website wrote:The most recent expansion at Conco Companies, as the organization is now known, occurred in mid-2001, when Conco Quarries assumed responsibility for quarry operations at Ash Grove Cement’s Galloway plant.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand