Interesting feature near Nathan Boone homestead.

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
ASK
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Interesting feature near Nathan Boone homestead.

Post by ASK »

jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: Interesting feature near Nathan Boone homestead.

Post by jammer_smith »

Good find. On Google Maps terrain view it looks like a very shallow/small quarry. The gravel piles are also a bit strange. I don't know what to make of it, although you could park at the Homestead and walk there pretty easily without being too conspicuous it seems.

In the same area of course is the Phenix Ghost town, worth checking out if you've never been there, at least to look at the old kilns. 37.375279, -93.544080

Also very nearby is this interesting abandoned portion of the marble quarry. It's worth checking out. 37.373156, -93.541944
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Well, I said you could walk easily from the Homestead to that quarry thing, but it's actually almost a whole mile. In fact even that house that looks like it's kinda close to the east of the quarry is a quarter of a mile away. That quarry thing is pretty secluded. You could probably get a good exploration with little risk of getting caught.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

You could float to it. Two people and two cars, park one car at the downstream road crossing the other at the upstream one. I'd take a kayak on inflatable, the stream looks small.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

Nicotti wrote:You could float to it. Two people and two cars, park one car at the downstream road crossing the other at the upstream one. I'd take a kayak on inflatable, the stream looks small.
That looks to be their only option, if they do not want to walk through a few miles of extremely dense woods. Looks like that river is accessible pretty easily from both roads. With the recent rain, the water level should be decent, although have an emergency plan ready if you tip over.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

You say "walking through a couple miles of dense woods" as if that's a bad thing. I call that a bonus. Perfect spot to slate for Spring exploration, during Morel season, check out a new location and mushroom hunt some (probably) untouched ground while you're at it.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

There's no real good place to park to walk to it though, except maybe the end of N Farm Road 35.

-Ayn Rand
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Cant you just park a the Homestead office?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Where's the Homestead office? I've never been to the area before.

-Ayn Rand
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

About one mile to the south west, on googlemaps its clearly marks Green parkland.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Interesting feature near Nathan Boone homestead.

Post by RedRook »

The Homestead looks pretty promising. The reviews mention plenty of trails, so no one would likely question you wandering around. It doesn't sound like it is set up for a lot of activity, so there isn't likely anyone that is going to be paying attention outside of the office. End of FR 35 is probably going to be the simplest route. I won't have a free weekend until March, but I'm tempted just to knock on the front door of that house and ask them if they know anything about what is north of them.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Looks like it is owned by the house east of it, Frieze Farms LLC. They are at the end of a dirt road coming off of FR 39. Map shows elevation changing about 50 feet from the lowest point of those piles to the highest. They are bigger than they appear on Bing.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Problem with the end of that farm road is that since there is nothing else back there, and the last house on that street must know there is nothing else back there, a car going past and not returning for a while would be super conspicuous. If I was still a teen and I lived near there, I'd be trying to park there to do the deed. Seems like a perfect place for it.

wanna take bets as to how many condoms are laying around there?
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Yeah, I was hoping the property was in some kind of limbo. I thought it might be with its location looking isolated. Given that the last house probably knows the owner, the ask and wander plan is probably not going to work. There are other areas owned by banks and trusts where I just talk to the only house in the area, so they don't get suspicious about my car. If I ask anyone about it now, it's going to be the farm off of FR 39 that actually owns it.
Last edited by RedRook on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

jammer_smith wrote:wanna take bets as to how many condoms are laying around there?
I'm amazed at how many condoms are at Winoka Lodge. Not only is there broken glass all over the place, but you have about a 50% chance of someone else coming up on you out there. Kids are brave these days.