Need information on my new discovery.

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Need information on my new discovery.

Post by RedRook »

Property for Mueller crosses the river to that little sliver in the riverbend just north of Christian County. RiverCut Golf course owns the other half. It looks like the farm south of the river just assumes that land is his judging by the tire tracks.

I'm thinking about checking out the driveway off of FR 131. This is apparenlty popular enough that even Google Earth caught a car on that road you can see it at: 37° 5'52.23"N 93°21'12.67"W in 2014, so apparently someone has been visiting.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Need information on my new discovery.

Post by paul06660 »

RedRook wrote:Property for Mueller crosses the river to that little sliver in the riverbend just north of Christian County. RiverCut Golf course owns the other half. It looks like the farm south of the river just assumes that land is his judging by the tire tracks.

I'm thinking about checking out the driveway off of FR 131. This is apparenlty popular enough that even Google Earth caught a car on that road you can see it at: 37° 5'52.23"N 93°21'12.67"W in 2014, so apparently someone has been visiting.
Yeah I noticed that white colored car in the driveway leading through the property. Given the fact that the imagery was taken in April, I would assume this person was most likely looking for morels. Kit, thanks for the picture detailing the flood plain. From what I saw, it looks like if it did flood, the water would get close and possibly submerge the road during a major flood. However, it was kind of hard to tell how deep this small ravine is, due to it being really dark when I went. For this reason, I will be exploring this during the day sometime soon.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
SimonSays
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Need information on my new discovery.

Post by SimonSays »

This is really neat. I'm going to drive out there right now before the sun sets to check it out for myself. I read that the Indian River property (along the driveway) is owned and maintained by River Cut - could they be the ones cutting the grass?

EDIT:
- Ok so this was great and weird at the same time. The main structure has blue tarp on the roof, and its clear someone has been trying to work on it, but everything had a very abandoned feel to it.
- Just northeast of the main building, up the small hill, I saw two tents perched. That's when I got pretty freaked out. Both tents looked in great condition, but were completely zipped up. I didn't get any closer. Though I didn't see anybody around I really felt either people were in the tents or would show up soon. It's pretty gusty up there on this property, so there's a chance if anyone was actually inside the tents, the wind beating on them may have blocked out all the noise my car made.
- I stuck around a bit, figure I'd test my luck and see if anybody got out of the tents or came up the drive. After another 30 minutes, it seemed pretty clear I was the only one around.
paul06660 wrote:100+ foot high bluff, a gazebo, benches, one small utility building and what appears as an overgrown office building.
Paul, when you last visited did you notice the tarp on the roof, the tents, and sort of like someone was trying to work on the property? I'm wondering if this is recent.
Cementland Veteran
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

There was no tarp when I was there. Camping on that hill? Maybe local kids playing at camping, not quite in their back yard but still close to home you know. That seems like the likely scenario. I doubt a neighborhood like that would tolerate a hobo camp popping up.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

SimonSays wrote:This is really neat. I'm going to drive out there right now before the sun sets to check it out for myself. I read that the Indian River property (along the driveway) is owned and maintained by River Cut - could they be the ones cutting the grass?

EDIT:
- Ok so this was great and weird at the same time. The main structure has blue tarp on the roof, and its clear someone has been trying to work on it, but everything had a very abandoned feel to it.
- Just northeast of the main building, up the small hill, I saw two tents perched. That's when I got pretty freaked out. Both tents looked in great condition, but were completely zipped up. I didn't get any closer. Though I didn't see anybody around I really felt either people were in the tents or would show up soon. It's pretty gusty up there on this property, so there's a chance if anyone was actually inside the tents, the wind beating on them may have blocked out all the noise my car made.
- I stuck around a bit, figure I'd test my luck and see if anybody got out of the tents or came up the drive. After another 30 minutes, it seemed pretty clear I was the only one around.
paul06660 wrote:100+ foot high bluff, a gazebo, benches, one small utility building and what appears as an overgrown office building.
Paul, when you last visited did you notice the tarp on the roof, the tents, and sort of like someone was trying to work on the property? I'm wondering if this is recent.
When I went out there, there was nothing. No tarps, tents, or homeless ppl. But that was back in February.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I've noticed tents on the new federal land south of Wilson's Creek as well. I see smoke in the morning at Winoka Lodge again as well. I've been noticing a lot more people that appear to be squatters in abandoned areas on the south side of Springfield in general. Are people losing their jobs a lot more around here?
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

Dunno, but my sister who lives on the north side reports that Kearney Street from National to the airport is getting pretty bleak.
SimonSays
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Need information on my new discovery.

Post by SimonSays »

RedRook wrote:I see smoke in the morning at Winoka Lodge again as well.
This is intriguing. I may visit Winoka on a morning to see where the smoke is coming from. I'm assuming the basement by the pool...

Anybody visited this spot since June? I don't have the time until September to revisit. Would love to hear if there are any changes - tents, blue tarps, etc.
Cementland Veteran