Asking permission

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Asking permission

Post by SubLunar »

Nicotti wrote:
saintshithead wrote:Haha, solid tips. The only reason I've never tried calling is cause I'm spooked they'll keep an extra eye out, or whatever.
Easy way to check if it's being watched. Wander around outside being totally obvious and checking all the entry points. If security or someone asks you what you're doing, play dumb.
This. If it's a location I think might be monitored, I often will make it obvious on my first trip that I'm just a curious passerby with a camera. Check a few doors, take pics of the exterior, walk around in plain sight. The only thing I won't do is actually go inside until I'm confident there's no-one around. This allows you to test the waters so to speak. To see just how monitored it is and to get a feel for their response time. Don't be afraid to waste an entire day driving out somewhere only to be turned back. If you gained valuable intel on a location, then it's not a waste after all.

I just took a long drive recently to an old place that looked vacant. I pulled up to the front gate, as obviously as possible. Brought along a pair of binoculars and my zoom lens for a proper reconnaissance. I was taking pics out front for only about a minute before the grumpy security guard came out and opened the gate. I approached and spoke to him and it was clear he was pissed I was even there. Had I tried sneaking in, he would have definitely called the cops and sat back in his hidden office and watched my arrest unfold. So that location is on the backburner, to be checked up on in about a year. And if he's still there, then the year after and so on. Eventually he'll leave or the place will get reused or demolished. Either way, I'll be waiting patiently.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

I'm not sure if you're into caves at all, but it has been my experience that asking permission for entry works about 1/4 of the time, and almost always with old folks. Pretty much anyone 50 and under has been an asshole with one exception. They all fear litigious bullshit and don't seem to care that I'm an adventurer actually going about it the legally correct way, and they no go away. Old folks on the other hand, they will give you precise directions to the cave while spouting old stories about their cave experiences. Old people are awesome. The younger owners seem devoid of any sense of adventure, and that is unacceptable to me.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

the young generation is in serious need of common sence and respect and did I mention they are a laze unthankfull usless generation who are all about ME ME ME and I want it NOW NOW NOW try to teach a 12 year old how to play a guitar------all they can ask is when can i play like so and so im usally like when you decide to pratice as much as they did then they usally put it away and forget it to much work
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

ropingk wrote:the young generation is in serious need of common sence and respect and did I mention they are a laze unthankfull usless generation who are all about ME ME ME and I want it NOW NOW NOW
As opposed to the older generation who lack common sence when it comes to spelling and grammar and are too laze to use spell check cause they want to post on the forum NOW NOW NOW
:wink: :wink:
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

I hate talking with old people. It's always awkward as fuck. They always pause in the most awkward spots and you don't know if they expect you to lead the conversation or if they're just a little slow and are thinking about what they're going to say next. Or maybe if they're senile and forgot they were even talking to you...
aka "That Guy"
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

My Gma pauses every now and again just so we can say "uh huh", I guess to make sure we're still listening.

-Ayn Rand
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

Nicotti wrote:
ropingk wrote:the young generation is in serious need of common sence and respect and did I mention they are a laze unthankfull usless generation who are all about ME ME ME and I want it NOW NOW NOW
As opposed to the older generation who lack common sence when it comes to spelling and grammar and are too laze to use spell check cause they want to post on the forum NOW NOW NOW
:wink: :wink:

whilest that there may be true some of us and spelling just dont get along its a world of diffrence I have to deal with several 16 year olds who are LAZY they dont want to study to get they licnes they dont want to work to get a car they pretty much want to sleep till noon play X box and live in the mommys basement till forever
saintshithead
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by saintshithead »

I don't know how old all y'all are, but I called three places this weekend and got permission to go inside as long as I played the student film maker angle 8) Clearly the lesson here is that old people are dorks and kidz rule
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

If your profile age is correct then I'm twice as old as you.

And Roping is 5 times as old. :mrgreen:

-Ayn Rand
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

and PROUDE of it well proud to still be alive :shock: :shock:
dundahmifflin
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by dundahmifflin »

I've only asked for permission once. It was about a month before the old Forest Park Hospital was totally torn down. I had asked the president of the construction company who to speak to, and eventually was directed to the right person. They seemed a bit hesitant, but finally allowed me in sometime last April. It was essentially a guided tour, albeit most of the building already rubble.

The highlight though was getting to go on the half-standing roof and taking a picture of the city from atop. (In the distance, you could even the see the now-demolished BJC hospital being torn down, too!) Unfortunately, the "tour" was cut short due to a worker fucking up on something, but I really enjoyed my time. Even better, I was one of the last people in that place, so even that feels pretty neat.

Besides that? I don't ask because it's too risky. If you ask and say no, chances are the owners will momentarily look for trespassers a bit more than usual. But sometimes there are buildings that are just absolutely impossible to get into without a negative outcome.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

I'll ask permission if it's the easiest or safest way to see something. As an example, there was a missile base I wanted to check out that was right next to a guy's house, so I went over to ask if he thought anyone would care if I had a look around. He turned out to be the care taker and let me in, gave me a good look around. Really, any rural place where there's a reasonable chance of being noticed is worth asking about, because hillbillies carry guns and are not afraid to use them.

As for what to do when you run into other weirdos, I usually just tell them what I'm doing and carry a big smash-your-goddamn-face-in maglight with me. Generally the bums have been too drunk to care what I do.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
kokonutfreaks
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by kokonutfreaks »

Thanks for the tips.

There's an abandoned hotel not to farm from me and I'm really interested in taking some photos of the place.

Only problem is, the city owns it, and it's guarded by police I'm pretty sure.

Is there any chances of getting permission from police? Or is it not worth it.

Thanks. =)
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

kokonutfreaks wrote:Thanks for the tips.

There's an abandoned hotel not to farm from me and I'm really interested in taking some photos of the place.

Only problem is, the city owns it, and it's guarded by police I'm pretty sure.

Is there any chances of getting permission from police? Or is it not worth it.

Thanks. =)
Police are going to tell you no, you can't enter the building. I've asked police a couple times and they always tell me to only take exterior photos... however this gives you an opportunity to scout for entry points.
aka "That Guy"
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Asking permission

Post by Headframe Hunters »

Which mine is that? Festus/Glencoe or something different?

EDIT: While we're on the topic of getting permission, I've got an interesting story. I was out in Socorro County, New Mexico in the Magdalena mountains. My truck got shoved/slid off the road and would have taken a few hours to get out with shovels and a jack, and it was getting dark. I rigged up a tow strap to the frame and decided to find a tow. We walked a mile down the mountain to the nearest house, and knocked on the door after bribing the guard dog with peanut butter sandwich crackers. Turns out the homeowner owns the entire former town of Kelly, including a bunch of mines we thought were private property. We wound up not only getting a tow, but a guided tour of the northern part of the mining district, to include an ASARCO-owned property. This guy was good friends with ASARCO's guard, and got us permission to wander around, take photos, shoot video, and basically document/explore so long as nothing was damaged. What I've generally found out is that people don't pay you any notice if you're wearing a hard hat and work clothes, carrying a notepad or clipboard, and generally look like you know what you're doing.

Hell of a thing to come out of getting stuck! I'll be passing through the area on my way out to Arizona for my summer job with a copper mining company; he'll be getting a case of whatever beer or ammo he prefers.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/