Asking permission

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
saintshithead
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Asking permission

Post by saintshithead »

So I've been into UE for about two years now and I've never had to ask to go somewhere. The sites I visit are too far gone, half torn down, or secluded- basically the owners just don't care. But as I get more and more serious about exploring, my locations get more risky, and I need to start asking for permission to visit a site but I don't really know how to go about it. I don't know what to say that doesn't make me seem like some shit disturbing kid that wants to do hoodrat shit without having charges pressed, you know? I just want to know if you guys have any pointers or anything about how to talk to a building owner about how to gain access to a site because when it comes to it, I have no idea how.

Sidenote: I've been purusing these forums for a long time and have never posted- I just wanted to say thanks for making me aware of some really cool spots and giving me tips to keep me safe while exploring!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Asking permission

Post by SubLunar »

It's tricky and I've never had much luck..

If you're young enough to pose as a college student you can say you're either in college for photography or architecture and you wanted to photograph this building as part of a project. Also make it clear that you will sign any waiver of liability and it might even help to print one out ahead of time.

The few times I've spoken to owners regarding permission to do anything, they have been fairly crazy and paranoid. Seems like they're always suspicious, thinking everyone's out to get em. One time we drove 3 hours round trip to go take a tour of a place only to be kicked out for having cameras out during part of the tour. Fucking asshole. Another time, I got a tour but was told specifically no photography. I took pics anyway and hoped they didn't come in while I was doing so.

Honestly it's a mixed bag depending on the location. If it's secluded and seems there's a low likelihood of getting caught, I wouldn't bother. You might inadvertently make that owner more aware of people wanting to access their stuff and increase their paranoia as a result. Most property owners I've come across haven't been exactly sane/reasonable people but your mileage may vary.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Asking permission

Post by Nicotti »

The only places I really consider asking for permission is places that are alarmed or locked up tight. I haven't asked yet, but there is a school Sub and I tried to get into that was alarmed that I want to ask for permission to get in, I'll probably go with the "lovers of historic buildings and want to document them before they are gone" line, cause it's the truth after all.
Last edited by Nicotti on Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

One benefit to asking permission is finding security weaknesses to exploit later. This pertains to semi-active or monitored buildings.

For example, after the arcade building was purchased but prior to its recent rehab, I got permission for us to tour it. This tour showed me that they still hadn't updated the alarm system. So we promptly went back after the tour and explored it several more times before finally the renovation was in full swing and they secured the access points.
saintshithead
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by saintshithead »

Haha, solid tips. The only reason I've never tried calling is cause I'm spooked they'll keep an extra eye out, or whatever. I'm trying to get into Normandie Hall but I'm a student in the area and I feel like I could play the 'high-school-senior-soon-to-be-film-major-building-my-portfolio-for-college' angle maybe. Sticking to sneaking sounds best for most, me included.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Heh. When we were in Normandie Hall, some guy randomly walked around the corner as I was in the ground floor. Luckily he was walking fast and not facing me. We had already explored most of it so I promptly opened the nearest window and climbed out. I don't think he knew we were inside, he seemed to be on his way to do something oblivious to us.
saintshithead
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by saintshithead »

Oh, cool, cool. It's an awesome place but I might wait to go there unless I can get permission because there are lights on in there sometimes...
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

saintshithead wrote:Haha, solid tips. The only reason I've never tried calling is cause I'm spooked they'll keep an extra eye out, or whatever.
Easy way to check if it's being watched. Wander around outside being totally obvious and checking all the entry points. If security or someone asks you what you're doing, play dumb.

-Ayn Rand
saintshithead
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by saintshithead »

Nicotti wrote:
saintshithead wrote:Haha, solid tips. The only reason I've never tried calling is cause I'm spooked they'll keep an extra eye out, or whatever.
Easy way to check if it's being watched. Wander around outside being totally obvious and checking all the entry points. If security or someone asks you what you're doing, play dumb.
That makes a lot of sense. Shit, this is nice, I thought I knew a good amount about this stuff but I've learned a shitton just talking to the people I've watched post on here for over a year. Huh. Weird. You guys ain't too bad.

Follow up question: What do you guys do when you run into non-cops in a building? I've run into scrappers and homeless people and I normally run, but there's probably a better way to go about that, no?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Being an 18 yo female, if you're by yourself or with other women's or scrawny guys, running is a good plan. :)

-Ayn Rand
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

I don't think I've ever gotten permission from the actual property owners. About half a dozen occasions though I've gotten "permission" from maintenance/grounds crews, constructions crews, and neighboring property owners. If you see somebody on a semi-active location (and they have a legit reason for being there) just ask them if you can walk around and take pictures. I mean it can't hurt. In my experience it has worked 5 or 6 times and failed only 2 or 3 times.
aka "That Guy"
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

saintshithead wrote:Follow up question: What do you guys do when you run into non-cops in a building? I've run into scrappers and homeless people and I normally run, but there's probably a better way to go about that, no?
Most of the times I've encountered someone else in the same place I'm exploring, I've just left. If the person is occupied or otherwise looks like they're supposed to be there, I might try to hide/avoid then continue onward, but occasionally they're approachable and interesting to talk to. I've learned plenty of info from talking to people that, but gotten kicked out a few times too. Just be sure to think, observe, and have a silver tongue if needed :P Welcome to the forum.
Preservation over plunder.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

The Picher/Cardin schools in Oklahoma sit right next to a police station. I walked up to the police station and asked them if I could explore/take pictures. They said they didn't care

This mansion in Louisville, KY had some mexicans working on the place. They didn't speak english but I pointed at my camera and then at the mansion and they smiled and nodded their heads. Was good enough for me

This county poor farm sits right next to the county workshop. I asked the manager of the workshop if she minded if I explored the poor farm. She had no problem.

A cop caught me right as I was walking in to this school in Columbia, MO. I told him I was filming a music video and he told me it was fine

Got permission from a grounds crew guy at this hospital in Cairo, IL right after I had been detained for trespassing in a different building in town. Funny story with that one... we ran from the police, got caught, and got away with a just warning. Then we explored this place lol

Ran into a logger on this property. He actually asked me if I was bow hunting, I was like nah just exploring. He didn't care

I asked the "owner's brother" who lives near this mine. He didn't have a problem with me exploring and even gave me a ride in his truck when it started raining

I'm sure there are other occasions I'm forgetting about too. Point being, it never hurts to ask. It also relieves a lot of stress when you think you have permission
aka "That Guy"
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

You saw a logger at the chem plant? Was it a week day?

-Ayn Rand
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Pretty sure it was a weekend. It was just one guy with a chainsaw and a dog. There was a bunch of logging equipment there at the time. Weekdays they probably had a full crew out there.

One of the times I went to Renz Prison near Jefferson City there was a contractor or someone parked out front. He had keys to the gates so I knew he was legit. I walked up to his truck and was like heeeeeey. He didn't care what I was doing either
aka "That Guy"