Winoka Lodge Again

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Winoka Lodge Again

Post by RedRook »

She wanted to go see Winoka Lodge, so we made a quick trip out tonight. Most of you have seen it before, but I guess the place is changing over time as well. Here is how it looked today.
Attachments
Pool5.jpg
Pool4.jpg
Pool3.jpg
Pool2.jpg
Pool1.jpg
Lodge2.jpg
Lodge1.jpg
Drain1.jpg
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Winoka Lodge Again

Post by RedRook »

RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

We got caught as well, and asked to leave. People on the bridge started shouting at the rent-a-cop, "And who are you." The next question was to us, "Did you see the cool stuff up there, you know there is a cave called Wildcat Cave on that property, did you see that too?." Springfield is an urban ex community.
graffitifetish
Miss Silver Lining
Miss Silver Lining

Post by graffitifetish »

Has anyone been out there lately? I haven't been in years (most of my exploring is just rural anymore - not so much revisiting places I've been tons of times), but I drove by there tonight and the entrance is definitely different. I have a friend who'd like to see it, so just wondered if this whole getting asked to leave business is the new norm there.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Winoka Lodge Again

Post by paul06660 »

graffitifetish wrote:Has anyone been out there lately? I haven't been in years (most of my exploring is just rural anymore - not so much revisiting places I've been tons of times), but I drove by there tonight and the entrance is definitely different. I have a friend who'd like to see it, so just wondered if this whole getting asked to leave business is the new norm there.
Explored it last spring and the property has not changed at all.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
graffitifetish
Miss Silver Lining
Miss Silver Lining

Post by graffitifetish »

To clarify, I probably haven't been out there since 2008. The entrance I always go in (the one I think pretty much everyone goes in) appeared different - some signs etc and I didn't see the barbed wire fence anymore. But, I take it you didn't get chased off, which is really what I'm looking for information-wise.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: Winoka Lodge Again

Post by jammer_smith »

I will say that the last time I was out there, last spring I think, the only weird thing I noticed different was that if you got to the far back end of the property to Wild Cat Cave, if you walk out of Wild Cat Cave into that little valley that leads down to the river (Fun Fact: that valley is called Butternut Canyon) there are a bunch of trees that have been cut down with an axe. You can clearly tell by the markings on the tree that an axe was used. Some of the smaller trees were stacked up as a kind of lean-to shelter, and some other were just left where they fell, some fairly large (for being chopped by hand anyway).

So either some kids were going out there and playing Bear Grylls or there was a hobo building himself a little home back there at some point. I think it was the kids playing Survival because I don't think a hobo trying to make shelter would unneccesarily cut down trees way to big for his purpose and leave them there. That sounds more to me like kids enjoying the novelty of using an axe and just cutting a tree down for the fun of it.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Winoka Lodge Again

Post by Nicotti »

What kids cut down trees for fun?

Except in Minecraft.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand