Johnny Law

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
Beast
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Johnny Law

Post by Beast »

Anyone ever have any problems from cops, feds or park rangers while exploring? One place I want to go, SL-90 Missile base in Grafton, I'm afraid they might take me in or shoot me or something.
I need to hit the lottery or beat up the guy who does.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Johnny Law

Post by SubLunar »

I'm not sure they'd shoot you for sl-90 but I wouldn't want to get caught there.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Re: Johnny Law

Post by Kit »

*eye roll*
Kit wrote:I am old
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Beast wrote:Anyone ever have any problems from cops, feds or park rangers while exploring? One place I want to go, SL-90 Missile base in Grafton, I'm afraid they might take me in or shoot me or something.
Sir, you sound as if you got a raging case of Vaginitis.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Zeno
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Zeno »

Trespassing on federal property is a felony, you have every reason to be scared in my opinion. The trick is to use that fear to make the trip that much more bad ass!

You know the risk, so do as much scouting as you can. I've camped out a crossed the street of potential sites just to survey the area until I was satisfied. Just me, my hammock in the woods, and a pair of binoculars. Write down everything you see and mark all activity and times on a map. Anymore, scouting is half the fun for me.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I don't believe it's federal, rather state property. But yeah you just have to not get caught. And if you want to explore this place you have to be good at climbing fences.
testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by testube »

I'd check county records online and see who actually owns it - feds, state, county, or private property. Then, plan accordingly (or plan not to).
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

We're talking about a NIKE site, right. Grafton is not one the few remaining operational ones. There is a high likelihood that no one is watching it at all. Be sure to let someone you trust know where this place is and how long you plan to stay. You have no idea what condition it is in, and it is the last place people will look if something goes wrong.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I looked it up, Grafton has a decommissioned date of 1968. If it isn't privately owned, it's probably in really bad shape. Be careful.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

5 more minutes, and I see it is owned by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources as part of the land they own for Pere Marquette State Park. The only way to tell how much the park rangers have an eye on things is to spend time in the park.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I've been there and have reported the conditions here and elsewhere on OU already. State owned means you wouldn't want to be caught out there and you have to be good at climbing fences to see any of it.