Underground Ozarks ForumUnderground Ozarks Forum
Underground Ozarks Forum Gallery Forum Blog
Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in

Fishing Spots? Please Share
View previous topic | View next topic  
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer

Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Fishing Spots? Please Share Reply with quote

So I used to go up to Lake Stockton and fish for Crappie and Smallmouth off of the Mutton Creek fishing dock. It was a great spot, a slow day still guarenteed you are fish every 20 min or so, and on good days you could hardly keep 3 poles baited you'd be pulling them out of the water so fast.

Well, they took the fishing dock out, and now I am without a favotire fishing spot. I've fished the Warm Water and below the dam on lake Springfield, and out of many many hours, I caught one small mouth one time. I've tried McDaniel off the bridge twice, maybe a total of about 4 hours, nothing. Fellow lake for God, I dunno how many hours....a lot, from all kinds of different spots, and I've never pulled a single fish out of there.

So, UO friends, please come to my aid. Where is a good fishing spot where, on a typical day, you can be expected to catch at least a couple of fish. I don't mind driving back up to Stockton if I know a good spot to head towards.

Oh and also, in all of my years of fishing in this area, I have never found a good catfish hole. I have left all manner of stinky baits sitting on the bottom of all kinds of bodies of local water, and only ever caught one catfish. Any advice?

lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Locations: SWMO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Fishing Spots? Please Share Reply with quote

For catfish, rely on local ponds you can get permission to. The dam up at Stockton. Limb-lining over by Taylor Bridge on the Sac River.

Try the Gasconade for some fun bass fishing. Seems like we used to pull goggle eye out of there. Check out various parts of the Niangua. Hell even sections of the James have decent bass.

Have you done sucker gigging? Do that in the winter down around Galena.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Locations: In your mom.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: RE: Fishing Spots? Please Share Reply with quote

McDaniel, while often overlooked, is an awesome place to catch all kinds of fish.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: RE: Fishing Spots? Please Share Reply with quote

You know, I've only fished McDaniel once. So maybe I just had a bad day. I was at the bridge, and I used a crappie rig over the side, a catfish rig cast way out, and a third bass rig casting and retrieving a variety of lures. I was out there for about 3 hours targeting 3 species, and I didn't get so much as a nibble.

However, I did see one guy walk past with a stringer loaded with big fish. So maybe I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Locations: St James Missouri

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fishing Spots? Please Share Reply with quote

a boat is such a help in catching big fish
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fishing Spots? Please Share Reply with quote

Smallmouth on the James, fish at the head of riffles in the evening, small spinner. Flat Creek is good, too. Can float it with a little work and it doesn't get much fishing pressure.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Fishing Spots? Please Share Reply with quote

jammer_smith wrote:
You know, I've only fished McDaniel once. So maybe I just had a bad day. I was at the bridge, and I used a crappie rig over the side, a catfish rig cast way out, and a third bass rig casting and retrieving a variety of lures. I was out there for about 3 hours targeting 3 species, and I didn't get so much as a nibble.

However, I did see one guy walk past with a stringer loaded with big fish. So maybe I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

You need to get away from that bridge and go much farther down the bank a ways. Just follow the trails and you will find much better fishing. I have caught many good fish in those waters.

jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fishing Spots? Please Share Reply with quote

Man, I have gone fishing 4 times since I made this post, and I've caught only 3 fish, and they were teeny tiny little fish. I am getting a bit frusterated at my apparent inability to get onto some fish.

Hey brouser....when you say "fish the ripples" what does that mean?

BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fishing Spots? Please Share Reply with quote

James is a pool and drop river. Long still pools separated by short stretches of faster water. In the evenings the smallmouth feed at the head of the swifter stretches. May not catch any big ones there, but it can be fun. I've had some luck with the bigger ones on tube jigs in the pools where there is a little current, usually around bigger rocks. And I've heard, but not tried, that the really nice bigs will hit a black buzz bait at night pulled across the pools just fast enough to turn the blade. Read an article on it once. I love fishing top water, but part of the thrill is watching the fish hit the bait.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: RE: Fishing Spots? Please Share Reply with quote

I like using topwater lures myself. In fact, top poppers tend to work extremely well in shallower areas of still waters, as long as you develop a good technique. Also try the Heddon Torpedo and never underestimate a white/red spoon.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fishing Spots? Please Share Reply with quote

mark Twain lake we caught 17 keepers and 30 crappie
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Locations: SWMO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fishing Spots? Please Share Reply with quote

We fished last weekend while camping with some friends and a bunch of toddlers. stayed at a campground near Bennett (on the Niangua), took some canoes, paddled around, saw no one but ourselves, husband caught enough largemouth to feed the 6 adults and 3 kids for dinner that night. then the crazy lightning storm hit so we left. went back to williams ford the next day and didnt catch shit. Sad
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fishing Spots? Please Share Reply with quote

Always fish before a front moves in. After front moves in, fish shut down, but before that they feed. So I've heard, so I've experienced.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fishing Spots? Please Share Reply with quote

and if the snakes are swimming i never have any luck with fishing
we cauget 17 niec crapi last weeekend --well saturday morning wasnt sure of the limit or the size rules took maybe 3 hours to find them some were easily 2 inches thich made some good fillets I need a bigger motor the 60hp prop just dont get r done
but going to a jet would be even worse

Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Locations: The Lou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fishing Spots? Please Share Reply with quote

jammer_smith wrote:
Hey brouser....when you say "fish the ripples" what does that mean?

He said Riffle not Ripple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riffle

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2