New Ritter Spring cave?

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

New Ritter Spring cave?

Post by jammer_smith »

So most of us are probably familiar with the Bat Cave, Junction Cave, and Devil's Den at Ritter Spring. I have always heard there were a few other small caves on the property. Possum Den? Possum Pit? Something like that was the name of one. Well I may have found it while out there mushroom picking the other day. It's a small opening at a seam in the Limestone. I came across it with no flashlight and no equips, so I just climbed down into the mouth to confirm that it did go back at least past the entrance light, and indeed it does. I have included the GPS coordinates. Anyone know anything about it?

37.280993,-93.346453

Also, I am lead somewhat to believe that the cave is very "new" as in the entrance only opened in the last few years. The walls are still clean and white and don't have any moss growing on them or little ferns or any of the stuff you typical see around cave mouths.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
honky314
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: New Ritter Spring cave?

Post by honky314 »

I have a friend that works for the park board he told me about this cave a couple years back but said it got covered up might have to come check it out
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

RE: New Ritter Spring cave?

Post by liesreality »

i think i know the area you are speaking about jammer. sent you a message, along with other cave info in that area.
ASK
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ASK »

I'm pretty sure the cave you are talking about is called copperhead pit. It was filled in a few years ago with wood chips for some reason but the last time I went out there it was cleared out. If you walk behind the archery range and follow the trail on the far left side of the park all the way back you will pass it.
honky314
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by honky314 »

so who wants to make a trip and find out if webare talking about the same cave
l3ol3slost
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by l3ol3slost »

i finally found all 3 caves, bat cave is most def completely sealed up, but the other 2 r accessible, and the armored car is there, but has definitely seen better days :)
"ego sum, ego existo, quoties a me profertur, vel mente concipitur, necessario esse verum."
l3ol3slost
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: New Ritter Spring cave?

Post by l3ol3slost »

Bat Cave Images:

Copperhead Cave:

Junction Cave:

And Armored Car:

Sorry For The Few Images, Just Wanted To Contribute Somehow ;)