Hmmmm

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
ASK
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Hmmmm

Post by ASK »

Once again I've been checking out ancient posts on here and stumbled upon more interesting locations. This is off of a greenway-like trail on the west side of West Bypass. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has checked out this old house in the woods or any of the other interesting things in the area.

House: http://binged.it/1g3QY0a

Foundation: http://binged.it/1g3SO0Q

Silos: http://binged.it/1g3SuiD
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Hmmmm

Post by BROUSER »

The foundations and silos are visible from the road, but that's a cool road. The Haseltine castle is on that road and those silos and the foundation are likely leftover from the orchard. That houses, though, looks interesting. Had no idea it was there. I'll drive by there today.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
ASK
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ASK »

Let me know what you find, take pictures if you can.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I drove out by there after work, wasn't dressed to go stomping around in the woods. Not a sign of it from the road. I'm real interested now, though. I'm going to make a foray in the near future. I've often wondered about that trail through there, anyway.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
srdcld
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by srdcld »

I went here over the weekend. Didn't go to the silos. The large building in the trees is not that hard to find. There is a pile of dumped trash and a small trail right beside it. If you go down that trail, the building is on your right. Its a completely empty large concrete building. It has several openings that look like windows were once there. Nothing inside. There is also an old well on the property or it could have been a cellar. Very cool to see but not sure what it was when it was in tact. Could have been a house but like I said, nothing inside. No stair case no walls.

The land is for sale so I figure it is a matter of time before someone buys it and tears the building down for a subdivision. We just drove our truck right off the road through the field off of 115 and right back to the building.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Is there historical aerial imagery for the area online some place?
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
srdcld
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by srdcld »

I am honestly not sure.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I don't know if any of it is online but MSU has a good amount of historical imagery in there maps section at the library.

-Ayn Rand
srdcld
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by srdcld »

Great. I will try to get by there soon. Thanks a ton!
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

If you go here and look at image #BLJ-4AA-099 at the nw corner of section 30 is the House and Silo locations linked above.
The foundation is in the se corner of the image, the road it's along is pretty distinct.

The aerial is from 1960.

Edit: I can see both silos. There is something near where the house is located now, but I'm on the fence on whether it's a structure or two trees.
Last edited by Nicotti on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

This house can be seen on that 60's image.

-Ayn Rand
srdcld
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by srdcld »

I am having a hard time finding anything on the aerial. I didn't see that second house in the same area. It could be one of the abandoned apple orchard houses that the Haseltine's used to store apples in.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

The Greene County public beacon has it listed as, "EX PT PLATTED VINTAGE HILLS SUBDIVISION & VINTAGE HILLS MANOR." The current owner is Great Southern Bank. I wonder if this is yet another future subdivision plot on the west side that was abandoned during the banking crisis. Housing prices are starting to recover. Its only a matter of time before someone comes back here to develop.
srdcld
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by srdcld »

The property is currently listed for sale. It says 114 acres total. So it won't be long before the buildings left on this property are demolished. Its sad history disappears so quickly.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Hmmmm

Post by RedRook »

Sorry about all the lines on the photos. I couldn't get the camera to not glitch, unless the person with me was in the photo. I have a video I'll put up in a little bit from the same camera with no glitches.
Attachments
Door.jpg
Hole.jpg
Inside.jpg
Front.jpg