Underground Ozarks ForumUnderground Ozarks Forum
Underground Ozarks Forum Gallery Forum Blog
Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in

First Time Morel Hunter: Tips?
View previous topic | View next topic  
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer

Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: First Time Morel Hunter: Tips? Reply with quote

So I harvested the heck out of some Chantrelles last summer, but this will be my first year Morel hunting. I figure they are just about to pop based on what I've read. there will be rain and warm nights the rest of this week, so this weekend should be good (I hope).

Does anyone know of any good general areas to look? If you feel like sharing but don't wanna make your morel grounds public knowledge, please PM me. I've heard they grow in similar soil to Chantrelles, in which case I am hitting up Ritter Spring, cause I hauled loads of Chantrelles out of there.

Gotofar
0-99 Poster
Member for: 18 days, 4 hours0-99 Poster

Locations: NWA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time Morel Hunter: Tips? Reply with quote

Look near sycamore trees is wjat I've alwaus heard. I can tell them by the whitesh thin bark they have.
Gotofar
0-99 Poster
Member for: 18 days, 4 hours0-99 Poster

Locations: NWA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time Morel Hunter: Tips? Reply with quote

I've heard around war eagle mill in those valleys is a good area.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time Morel Hunter: Tips? Reply with quote

Elm trees, undisturbed leaf beds. If you see mayapple sprouts coming up, you're looking in good habitat. South and east facing hillsides, bottomland.
tomgallopavo
0-99 Poster
Member for: 9 days, 4 hours0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: RE: First Time Morel Hunter: Tips? Reply with quote

Stumps early, little black ones first, then yellows by stumps, then big yellows just about anywhere in the timber where you were finding the earlier ones...
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: First Time Morel Hunter: Tips? Reply with quote

Went out and spent a few hours yesterday looking around both Sequiota and Ritter. Nothing. The soil seems pretty moist, and it was certainly warm with lots of mayapple and early blossoms all over the place, but no fungus at all. I was keeping an eye out for Oyster mushrooms as well but didn't spot anything.

Maybe it needs a few more days, or one more good rain?

BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time Morel Hunter: Tips? Reply with quote

I've poked around a little and not found any. More moisture would be good.
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Locations: Republic, Missouri

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: RE: First Time Morel Hunter: Tips? Reply with quote

My family members in the Cassville area have found a few. My cousin posted a pic of 23 they found bit they were a bit on the small side.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time Morel Hunter: Tips? Reply with quote

Found four today about the size of the end of my thumb. It was after it rained a little. They were still growing. My brother found four also in a different spot. Too bad it's going to get so cold after the rain tonight and shut them down again.

Jump to:  

Page 1 of 1