Ritter Ghost Town

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Ritter Ghost Town

Post by jammer_smith »

Howdy Springfield explorers, I haven't been on here in about a million years, but I found a whole new location that I felt the need to share with you all. At least I think it's new, since I don't recall having ever read anything about it on here.

So I found what I am going to describe as a Ghost Town surrounding the headwaters of the Spring Branch that most of you are probably familiar with as the creek that runs through Ritter Spring park and joins the Little Sac in front of Junction Cave. Go ahead and just trace the Spring Branch back on Google Maps to its origin and you'll see it emerges from a rugged patch of woods here 37.260802,-93.328342. There are three branches that come down out of those hills and combine to form the Spring Branch. The upper of the three branches is just rain run-off, and was mostly dry while I was there. Both of the lower two branches are springs.

The whole wooded hilly area around those springs seems to be something of a ghost town. There are water works and foundations and roads out there, but all quite old and almost totally reincorporated into the woods. One of the two springs has an elaborate container wall built up around it. Just below the point where the two springs connect to form the creek there is an old dam and a foundation that looks like it was a mill? The dam area seems to be quite large with some earthwork ridges that make it look like the dam was built to create a small lake A little further downstream are some massive old riveted pipes that don't seem to be attached to anything, they are just there. I have no clue what they would have been used for. Also randomly in the woods is an old set of crumbling stone steps leading up to the front door of nothing. They look like old front porch steps to a house that there is not a single trace of. And on top of the big hill overlooking the larger of the two springs is the basement and foundation level of some kind of factory I think. The building is fairly large, with very wide double doors on both ends, or at least that is what it looks like from the stone ruins since the wood portion is completely gone.

Oh and on the ridge just to the north east of the "factory" there are a series of piled stone squares. I have no idea what they were for. They look roughly house-sized. Maybe the very old remains of original settler housing? Its hard to tell, but it's obviously done by man and quite old.

So, I don't know what the history of that area is, but there was obviously a pretty big water-work project there, significant alteration of the landscape, and the remains of several buildings, and the faintest hint through the trees of where the roads once were.

If you zoom in from satellite view you can see the "factory" here: 37.259783,-93.329077

Old stone squares are appx here: 37.260703,-93.326634

Stairs to no house are appx here: 37.262008,-93.328114

If anyone knows some history to go along with the ruins, please do tell. Otherwise, happy exploring. It seems safest to park here: 37.264285,-93.327441 and then walk in. But there is a house very close to the larger of the two spring and the factory, so keep a low profile on that end of the woods.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
the green god
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Ritter Ghost Town

Post by the green god »

I believe the buildings are what remains of the old Ritter farm. The springs at Valley Water Mill, Fulbright, and the Ritter springs are all connected. This is truly one of the forgotten, beautiful places left in Greene County. I was there a few months ago with my girls and the hike in and out was not easy. I would want no part of it when everything starts growing. Please if you go in leave it as you find it and keep it to yourself. News has a way of making the rounds and I would hate to see a tramp camp spring up.
a fool never knows what he misses
and a wise man never misses what he knows
the green god
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by the green god »

This is the best I could find as far as a history:

They first settled on Leeper Prairie, Greene county, buying forty acres there, selling out two years later and moving near Springfield on the Campbell farm, where they broke seventy acres of prairie for June Campbell, using ox teams for this purpose, having traded their sheep for cattle. They remained with Mr. Campbell three years, then our subject and Mr. Hardman dissolved partnership and Mr. Ritter and his brother Aaron formed a partnership and bought forty acres in the eastern part of Center township, adjoining our subject's present farm. Mr. Ritter of this sketch then homesteaded eighty acres adjoining on the south where he now resides, later purchasing one hundred and sixty acres from the Frisco railroad in Campbell township, but adjoining his home place, the property lying on the eastern boundary of Center and western boundary of Campbell township. Later he purchased forty acres more, making a total of three hundred acres, one hundred and twenty acres of which has been set to an apple orchard, which is one of the largest producers in this section of the Ozarks. His land is all well improved and he has an attractive home and numerous outbuildings."
a fool never knows what he misses
and a wise man never misses what he knows
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: Ritter Ghost Town

Post by jammer_smith »

Got ahold of a historian who informed me that this location was the site of a planned community to house Transients displaced by the Great Depression. It was open for about 8 years, housed just over 900 people at it's peak, and was apparently run commune style with farmers and miners and cobblers and barbers and tailors secretaries etc who were all displaced by the Great Depression and who preformed their roles for the community for only one dollar a week in personal money, but full room and board and services of the community available to them.

It was apparently pretty successful and very well run, but after 8 years the crisis had passed and the site was closed.

Pretty cool.

Before that it was a fairly mediocre farm, and before that it was a fairly excellent grist mill, and before that it was unsettled federal land, pre- 1840.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

jammer_smith wrote:Got ahold of a historian who informed me that this location was the site of a planned community to house Transients displaced by the Great Depression. It was open for about 8 years, housed just over 900 people at it's peak, and was apparently run commune style with farmers and miners and cobblers and barbers and tailors secretaries etc who were all displaced by the Great Depression and who preformed their roles for the community for only one dollar a week in personal money, but full room and board and services of the community available to them.

It was apparently pretty successful and very well run, but after 8 years the crisis had passed and the site was closed.

Pretty cool.

Before that it was a fairly mediocre farm, and before that it was a fairly excellent grist mill, and before that it was unsettled federal land, pre- 1840.
Good job. Stuff like this is why I still come to this forum.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
archinstl
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by archinstl »

Fascinating story about the (Ritter) Transient Camp: http://ag.missouristate.edu/assets/ag/A ... s_copy.pdf
It was written in 2013 - long, but quite interesting.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I've read it. The lady that wrote it actually messaged me and asked me for details on the location of a structure I found out there that she had not been able to find.

It's a very good read, super interesting stuff.

Although the lady was very sure to tell me that it IS PRIVATE PROPERTY but encouraged me to contact the MSU Ag department if I want to join one of thier classes or field trips out there.