Dogpatch USA

Urban exploration in Arkansas
NDFIrish12
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Dogpatch USA

Post by NDFIrish12 »

I would be very interested in putting a trip together on Saturday the 29th. I've got a friend of mine from the forum; Mindwaave, interested in going. Details to be worked out later in the future but I'd like no more than three other additional people. Anyone interested PM me and let me know.
FAQ!
brettp2004
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Dogpatch USA

Post by brettp2004 »

A couple of friends and I were exploring the Ozarks a little and stopped by dogpatch. It is definitely pretty neat. Mainly just a bunch of empty buildings. Of course, we only looked from the road... It looks like there is a cave/cavern at the north end of the park, has anyone ever checked it out?
Meester Beeg
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Meester Beeg »

Yes, there is a cave there. Went in it back in the late 60s when the whole place was going strong.
I remember they had people dressed as Dogpatch characters and interacted with the people, much like DisneyWorld. One of them took a shining to my older brother and hounded him all day. We kept wondering why he didn't hook up...he hadn't come out of the closet yet!
It was pretty much a craft type place then, didn't have much in the way of rides or shows.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

hate to disagree but at one time it for sure had rides it was never a six flags but it had the Red Rat Roller COaster and it had the4 water log ride and i think a odd shaped ferris wheel the scrambler and tilt a world a fish catching pond where you took what you caught to a window gave them your fish they cleaned them and fryed them and gave(SOLD) them back to you to eat pretty cool and yes all the chacters were there Little Abbner Miss daisy grany all the chilred do a search on this forum there are tons of cool pics and even a vedio of a one timeleading lady
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Aerohog
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Aerohog »

A friend of mine just out of UA taught high school in Harrison and trained the Al Capp characters that worked at Dogpatch. He's up in Branson now. He would probably have some great insights in the workings of the park. If i can find his email address I'll direct him over to UO. Never thought about it before. It doesn't fit with UO, so I should do a search for a site that covers the Great Passion Play in Eureka. It started in the same era as Dogpatch and I had friends that would go over from Springdale to be in it. I went with a buddy once and got to be a disciple and a resurrected on the mountain and back to disciple for the finale. That's a better story than the mafia princess and her bodyguards at Pat O'Brien's. Almost makes me want to be young again.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

it fits THIS Under Ground OZarks just fine thats how a lot of us fount this site post away I love the passion play dog patch Branson
Eagle90
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Eagle90 »

Aerohog wrote:A friend of mine just out of UA taught high school in Harrison and trained the Al Capp characters that worked at Dogpatch. He's up in Branson now. He would probably have some great insights in the workings of the park. If i can find his email address I'll direct him over to UO. Never thought about it before. It doesn't fit with UO, so I should do a search for a site that covers the Great Passion Play in Eureka. It started in the same era as Dogpatch and I had friends that would go over from Springdale to be in it. I went with a buddy once and got to be a disciple and a resurrected on the mountain and back to disciple for the finale. That's a better story than the mafia princess and her bodyguards at Pat O'Brien's. Almost makes me want to be young again.
What was the teacher's name who taught in Harrison? My wife grew up in Harrison.
Aerohog
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Aerohog »

New enough here to not know how to PM. Please PM me or tell me how to do it. It would be unethical for me to divulge someone's name in public without their permission.
Eagle90
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Eagle90 »

Check your private messages in the top right had corner of the page.
testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by testube »

this just in...Dogpatch has a new owner who plans on reopening it as a tourist ecovillage:
http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2014/aug/ ... in-dogpatc
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

that's great if it happens its been such a legal mess for so long wonder if they ever found the train
Meester Beeg
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Meester Beeg »

ropingk wrote:hate to disagree but at one time it for sure had rides it was never a six flags but it had the Red Rat Roller COaster and it had the4 water log ride and i think a odd shaped ferris wheel the scrambler and tilt a world a fish catching pond where you took what you caught to a window gave them your fish they cleaned them and fryed them and gave(SOLD) them back to you to eat pretty cool and yes all the chacters were there Little Abbner Miss daisy grany all the chilred do a search on this forum there are tons of cool pics and even a vedio of a one timeleading lady
I didn't say it didnt have rides. I said it didn't have much in the way of rides, it was more craft oriented...which was stated in another post...no one disagreed with that.
I remember the Rat-it was small but it jerked you around enough it was fun.
The character I remember chasing after my brother was D. Brown. She would be in her 60s today.
Beware the Black Widows...feared throughout the land!
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

remember shamooo the white ghost
testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by testube »

ropingk wrote:remember shamooo the white ghost
aack - the one that killed all those animal trainers? and then they kept renaming it so that nobody would know it was the same killah?
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

have no idea he was a big white blob is all i remember not weven sure how he fit in to the hillbilly Lill Abner theme???