Abandoned area close to town on public trail.

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Abandoned area close to town on public trail.

Post by BROUSER »

My grandfather was the the youngest of 11. Great grandfather had several things going: cutting rock, raising strawberries (10-15 acres), etc. Born in 1876 died in 1955.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Abandoned area close to town on public trail.

Post by RedRook »

Sounds like he was working right at 1900, so limestone sounds like a reasonable expectation for foundation in this area. It makes sense, that stuff is everywhere in this county.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I have several of the blocks he cut in my back yard around my garden. I even have one in the front yard that he tapped out the first letter of my last name on. Of course, the problem with moving them around is that limestone is easily broken.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I've started to doubt these are foundation when I looked more closely. The piles seem far too small to be the foundation of even a building the size of the abandoned church. They also don't seem to have any clearly flat edges. Most of them have smoother rounder sides with the other side being pretty jagged. Maybe they are just rocks cleared out of the fields back when the area had small ranches and farms. Maybe they are property markers. I don't really know, but I don't think they are foundations.

I also couldn't bring myself to making it to church this morning. I thought I might just be able to call the church, but no one answered the phone before or after the posted service time. I'll check again in person in a couple weeks. The churches are surprisingly similar in size, but this isn't the only church of God in the area. It just seems to be the only Church of God to use the name "Church of God" on their paperwork for the city. It would be cool if they have more information on that abandoned church or if the reverend had a listed phone number.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

So I found a stash of miniature British flags in a waterproof case. It was stuffed in the hollow of a tree down in this south creek region. This is a shot in the dark, but if anyone sees this message and knows something about this odd little cache, let me know. I left it where I found it. I'm just curious about the reason someone would leave it there to begin with.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

See "geocaching." On another note, I found a large mushroom down by the creek bed on the lower trail (upstream side of the road), but nothing very edible, either a dryad's saddle or a hexagonal pored polyphore.
― Ken Ham
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

BROUSER wrote:See "geocaching." On another note, I found a large mushroom down by the creek bed on the lower trail (upstream side of the road), but nothing very edible, either a dryad's saddle or a hexagonal pored polyphore.
I couldn't tell which cache this was supposed to be from the geocaching website I looked at. Apparently, everyone and their brother has chosen that area for caches. It probably is a geocache though. We still have a long way till Morel season. I was hoping South Creek would be a good hunting ground, but I'm starting to realize that there are quite a bit of people in that area at any given time.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

It's all matter of timing. I found a half dozen out there a few years ago, but I met a guy coming out who had a Wal-Mart sack full.
― Ken Ham
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

If that's out past the end of Battlefield Road, that's some interesting area. Never explored it off-road, but a while back there used to be some roads back in there that went to old buildings...
Slipping the surly bonds of earth...
Eagle90
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Eagle90 »

RedRook wrote:So I found a stash of miniature British flags in a waterproof case. It was stuffed in the hollow of a tree down in this south creek region. This is a shot in the dark, but if anyone sees this message and knows something about this odd little cache, let me know. I left it where I found it. I'm just curious about the reason someone would leave it there to begin with.
Wow, didn't realize this was so old. Anyway, the Tories put those caches all over the place in anticipation of a return to English rule. This particular cache could be from a rumored Tory settlement from the late 1780's. The legend goes that some Tory's, rather than flee to Canada, fled west in hopes of establishing a settlement and remaining under the radar, so to speak, long enough to survive the failed American state. They made many small flags to show their loyalties when the British regulars returned. Unfortunately for them, the British never returned and as the Americans expanded west, the Tories cached their flags and abandoned their settlement. Seems you found it! It would be really cool if you could find some artifacts that would be linked to the Tory settlement.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Eagle90 wrote: Wow, didn't realize this was so old. Anyway, the Tories put those caches all over the place in anticipation of a return to English rule. This particular cache could be from a rumored Tory settlement from the late 1780's. The legend goes that some Tory's, rather than flee to Canada, fled west in hopes of establishing a settlement and remaining under the radar, so to speak, long enough to survive the failed American state. They made many small flags to show their loyalties when the British regulars returned. Unfortunately for them, the British never returned and as the Americans expanded west, the Tories cached their flags and abandoned their settlement. Seems you found it! It would be really cool if you could find some artifacts that would be linked to the Tory settlement.
I always wondered why there was a Tory Cemetery, Tory Creek, and a Tory Creek Road in Christian county. Can you explain why it's called the Montague/Tory Cemetery?
― Ken Ham
Eagle90
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Eagle90 »

No clue. Maybe some familial ties to Shakespeare? Might be interesting for someone to do some genealogical research.....
ASK
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ASK »

Has anyone been in the sinkhole right around this area?

37.1528124,-93.3690629
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Abandoned area close to town on public trail.

Post by RedRook »

ASK wrote:Has anyone been in the sinkhole right around this area?

37.1528124,-93.3690629
I've been wanting to have a look. Be careful, poison ivy seems to love growing around that hole.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

They were mowing the grass at the race track, so I got spooked and went to South Creek. There was an overhang across the creek I wanted to check out, but it was nothing more than an overhang. Does anyone know a Gilkerson. The overhang had the name on a sign right outside of it. There are lots of those broken up rectangular rocks everywhere again, and this time there's some round structure too small to be a silo. Nothing was too exciting, but here's some pics anyway of the overhang, the "foundation" rocks, and the small sink hole. The more exciting thing that I may or may not have checked out is across a fence in this area, but even that may or may not go back only a short way around the highway.
Attachments
Hole.jpg
Outside.jpg
Round.jpg
Blocks.jpg
Gilkerson.jpg