Abandoned area close to town on public trail.

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Abandoned area close to town on public trail.

Post by RedRook »

So I was looking at the Springfield census map, and I realized there was one part of town with a public trail that was shown to have a huge decrease in population. There is still private land there, but there are also a lot of interesting things to see close to the roads and trails. There is also quite a bit of woods that might contain more interesting things to explore later. Anyone recognize this area? Has anyone explored more deeply into the woods here?

VOPKP KKPST RZIVD KVVGK DDPNI BZGBD
ODEDJ BGXKO GXVGC DMEZT VSDKC IFDKR
DIWDI EDTRZ VGVOP KVOED ICXPV OGBRZ
IBASL DEDUA IRVGV ODBAS LDEGN RDVVD
EKPBZ GAEIR PIKGB VOPKK PVDNG EPBKV
IBMDE DCEGG JOIKK DWDBR DVVDE KSGED
VGMGS DRIVD E
Attachments
IMG_0159.jpg
IMG_0158.jpg
IMG_0157.jpg
IMG_0156.jpg
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0142.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg
IMG_0131.jpg
IMG_0130.jpg
IMG_0127.jpg
IMG_0120.jpg
IMG_0118.jpg
IMG_0116.jpg
IMG_0115.jpg
Last edited by RedRook on Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Abandoned area close to town on public trail.

Post by RedRook »

SEVEN
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Re: Abandoned area close to town on public trail.

Post by lolabelle »

what part of spfd?
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

That's down by the yard waste composting facility, not far fromt he sewage plant, on Wilson's Creek. The Wilson Creek trailhead is down there. I wish somebody would do something to preserve those old churches.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

*Note: Due to some posts having little to do with the original topic, I have split those posts off into their own little pocket of weirdness in the Other forum called ConspiracyTheorist666 vs. The Illuminati: A Cage Match. I can neither confirm nor deny that I am currently typing this by the light of a lamp I made using WR's skin as a lampshade. - BROUSER
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

The cryptogram, which I solved, was part of the OP.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

True dat. But still not strictly related to 'splorin. Lines must be drawn, sir. And I'm the one with the pencil.
― Ken Ham
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I was digging around a 1904 map today as I have a tendency to do. I found four farms that are in the northern part of these trails. All of these have very clear marks for where the buildings were as well as where a second school house was. It looks like all of this is in the thick part of the trees in what used to be Wilson township. I'm going to see if I can find any foundations. Anyone do much exploring into the woods of this area?

I'm pretty sure the southern trail was nothing but open fields and a cemetery until the last ten years, so I'm going to leave that part until later. There are about 5 more buildings with another cemetery to the west in the Brookline township, but that is all new CU buildings now. I wonder what CU did with the cemetery.
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

Back before I became a 3rd shift vampire who is scared of the sun, I used to walk that portion of the trail. It's pretty down there.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

slow_walker wrote:Back before I became a 3rd shift vampire who is scared of the sun, I used to walk that portion of the trail. It's pretty down there.
Yeah, this is quickly becoming my new favorite area. I was 3rd shift before college as well, now I'm 9-6, so the hard part this time of year is just getting there before sunset. Sunset doesn't hurt the scenery though.
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

nope, not at all.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I didn't find any foundations, but I found an old bull dozer abandoned and rusting. On Google Earth, you first see it out there this year, so someone left it out there recently.

I did find a lot of piles of white rocks in the areas I was looking for foundations. Anyone know what they used as foundation rocks around 1900? Did they even have foundations in small buildings?
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I'm also trying to figure out who owns the abandoned church to find out more information on it. The old map labels it as Pleasant Creek Church.

I already know who owns the school, but the church is proving more difficult. The city lists it as being owned by "Church of God." That just happens to be the name nailed on the front of the church. There is no further contact information. One other piece of property exists with "Church of God" listed as the owner, and it doesn't exist. If you look at the property close to where it should exist if the street continued, you find a small church with a sign out front named "Church of God." I may go to church this Sunday just to see if it is a coincidence or not.

Does anyone randomly know more about this church. It would be cool if it could be preserved. There seems to be evidence that it is over 100 years old. I'd just like to confirm that.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

My great grandfather cut limestone blocks to sell as foundation rock. He was also renowned for his ability to cut a round cistern cover with a square hole in it for the pump.
― Ken Ham
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

BROUSER wrote:My great grandfather cut limestone blocks to sell as foundation rock. He was also renowned for his ability to cut a round cistern cover with a square hole in it for the pump.
I'll have to go back and examine the rocks more carefully. I didn't have much time till sunset yesterday, and I was trying to cover a large area.

I believe they were limestone, and they appeared to be human broken and piled. What I don't understand is why someone would go through the trouble of making that pile and not go through the trouble of removing it.

When was your great grandfather in his rock cutting days? Mine wasn't established into his career until about the 20's, and I come from a line of men that had children in their 30's. Most people seemed to have children younger, especially as you go back in time. Some people your age might even have great grandfathers established in their careers in the 40's.