All meetups, whether UE or non-UE, should be posted in this forum
iFUBAR
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

2013 KC Spring Campout - Explorers Only

Post by iFUBAR »

March 15-17, 2013

More details coming very soon.
I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.
hearse driver
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

RE: 2013 KC Spring Campout - Explorers Only

Post by hearse driver »

I can provide some secure parking about 10 minutes away from the cave and we could shuttle people there.....
the're only homeless at night , during the day, there just outside....
''thats what happens , light out there , dark in here''- Slim Jim
''yes for the last time, i just put my fucking wheel on with a hammer....''
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I'm definitely interested as long as my schedule works out. Last time I went, it was a great time (except for the assholes in the parking lot).
hearse driver
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Re: 2013 KC Spring Campout - Explorers Only

Post by hearse driver »

cross posted from kcurbex....

So let's sell this campout as a sleep over in a vacant building. There is an old radio station that we can use for the party. We have rooms for people to sleep in. Kansas City is known to our friends as an abandonment city, not one with an extensive underground or tunnel system. Let's use this to our benefit and show people how it is when we party on the normal. (Remember the roof party at Weld when people just drank and hung out rather than having a mini rave in the cave?? That is the party we need to have)

The only issues that we have in selling the campout are that we cannot have fireworks and fires in the building (kinda a dddeeerrrrrrr thing). We also need to make sure the people attending will be on good behavior (we don’t need “EEEEEEEEEE” happening again). Also, we need to be like what we preach, “Take only pictures, leave only footprints” – so we need to make sure that we clean our mess up when we leave. It’s not like we have to carry trash through the cave, we have an elevator and I am sure a couple trash buckets would be fine. Just remember, your mother doesn’t live at the Pickwick, so pick up after yourself. We are next door to the Federal Courthouse, and the police station. That being said we need to keep our party to a simple, civil, drunken walk about in an amazing and historic building. We all know that we can sleep there, so just get white girl wasted, puke in the toilet like an adult and sleep it off there.

We don't need to worry too much about lighting since there is power to the building. John was not sure if the lights actually worked, but we can try to get extension cords and old xmas lights if need be. We can also get other random things from the internet as possible light sources (glow sticks in jars, etc etc etc). Worse case, we all have flashlights and headlamps. I doubt all of us would have a problem using them in a building without worrying about shinning lights out of the window. We know the dude who is the caretaker there, I don’t see too much of an issue.
\Parking is not so much of an issue as it is with LaFarge. We have on street parking with enough space for people to park in the near area, if not a couple blocks away. We have all hiked to get into a place, so think of it as just parking a couple blocks away to avoid raising suspicion.

Right now, the only things we have to work on is the final print of the map (I have the list, I just am waiting until the weekend before to insure we have access to the buildings still). The places for the geo-cache game have been made and the items have been planned out – there will be a crafts day to assemble all of them. The gift basket needs to be made for John since he is letting us stay there, which should be just some beer, cigarettes and maybe something green to enjoy. We can also have a collection going at the party to give him some cash money for letting us.

THIS IS THE TIME FOR US TO REDEEM OURSELVES AFTER THE PAST TWO CAMPOUTS. Two years ago, people had windows broken out. White Rabbit left with his Ozarks people because of it. Last year we had so many issues arise that even locals are refusing to come to the campouts. Let’s use this as a way to show that we are not some fucked up group of people who do not know how to act and how to host people. I know that we have some people who have been in KCUE for a long time who have not been in the Pickwick, so let’s make their first time a magical one. (More magical then when your cherry was first popped)

I know people are upset about not having this at the cave – it’s the KC tradition. The biggest thing to remember is that we are not replacing the cave. We have all known in the back of our minds that things were slowly getting out of control, and right now we need to let it rest. We all love the cave, but I think that we need to legally go about gaining access to the cave. We have some people who are looking into what we can do to acquire access to the cave, and with that we need to let them go through the motions of this and let the law handle what they can before we go out and provoke the dude.

I am going to wait til Friday to post the details of the campout to the MSP group – that will be passed on to Chicago. WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE AT THAT POINT IS FOR US TO REACH OUT TO EVERYONE THAT IS AN EXPLORER THAT HAS HAD AN ISSUE IN THE PAST AND SHOW THEM THAT THIS YEAR IS GOING TO BE A 180 FROM THE PAST AND THAT WE ARE MOVING FORWARD FROM HERE ON OUT TO MAKE THIS WHAT IT ALWAYS WAS MEANT TO BE: A CELEBRATION FOR EXPLORING IN KC. I need someone to post to Underground Ozarks on this. If anyone knows people from other areas, message them, let them know what is going on and invite them to stay. How many people can say that they were able to sleep in an abandonment and know it was safe??
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

If you guys ever want to do something like this in the St. Louis area and not have to worry about legal problems, consider Crystal City Underground. The owner is really cool and is down for just about anything. The cave (sand mine) is over 200 acres with over half of it being flooded. He just got a barge (the Booze Barge) for tours of the flooded section, and he hosts parties here all the time.

aka "That Guy"
KansasCity
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

Post by KansasCity »

Booze Barge and you can drive in it? I hate this out of jealousy.
I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition is to eat, drink, and be Mary.

Aka Gringo Loco on KcUrbex.org and UER
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

This sounds like fun.
Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I'm still interested, but I'm disappointed it won't be in the mine. That was a really cool, crazy experience. I hadn't been to a party like that since the 90s..
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Did anybody else notice that they've decided to move out of a cave for being to drunk or disorderly and into a bldg NEXT TO THE POLICE STATION!

This will not end well for some people.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
hearse driver
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by hearse driver »

the reason its getting moved this year has nothing to do with the drunks, and a lot to do with a crazy gun toting redneck with a terrible misunderstanding of property lines and the law, we are working hard to resume campouts in the mine as we have done since 2005 . with that said, the drinking and good times will still be able to be had. we have permission to be in the building , we will still be doing all the craziness, minus one simple thing - fireworks.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Any updates?
Nemophilist
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Nemophilist »

Well, I didn't think I was going to be able to go but I may have a way there now. I'm guessing everyone is there already, but if anyone could send me some more details, that would be great. I've only been to the mine so I'm not sure where the new place is.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I totally forgot about this.

Then again, the being inside a building thing kinda worried me a little..
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Yeah, we haven't heard any recent information... If this is still happening, would whoever's in charge message the details to us? Thanks.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Well, this will learn me to keep a lazier eye on the Meetups forum. I didn't even see the thread till now.

Did this end up happening?