What do we know about the interior of Mosenthein Island?

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: What do we know about the interior of Mosenthein Island?

Post by jjjjjjjijjjjjjj »

No worries, man. Very interesting, and thanks for posting it. (If you're really bugged by it, though, you can edit/format it within a 24 hour window, if I'm remembering correctly).

I made it out to the island (barely) right around the same low-water window that it seems like you did... you can read about my trip (such as it was) here.

One question: When you mentioned not seeing a building foundation (and GPS) were you meaning that you didn't see one where you were walking? Or were you saying that you were checking out the (possible) foundation at 38.7286, -90.2002 (listed -- possibly in error -- on a few maps)? I'm still very curious about that.

If you can find a way to upload your GPS data, I'd love to have a look at what you got to explore... even just a screenshot or something would be cool. Here's mine, if you're curious.
"You take delight not in a city's seven or seventy wonders, but in the answer it gives to a question of yours. Or the question it asks you, forcing you to answer, like Thebes through the mouth of the Sphinx." –I. Calvino, Invisible Cities
bigdaddytim
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by bigdaddytim »

I did not find a building or any signs of a building. It want like I wasn't looking for one. That was the main purpose for my hike. I found a few large clearings and searched them for signs of a building. I did not go to your coordinates and I did not look at mine while I was there. What I did do was look at my maps application and it showed that I had crossed the northern tip of the island. On my hike this past Saturday I'm disappointed that I didn't cross the water our at least try. I know from my first trip that it was flat and smooth sand where I crossed. My concern was it would be a long walk thru the water and there was a current in the water that want there on my first visit
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

The river is up 6 ft from when you were there j
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

A full 8' up actually... and not looking like it's coming down any time soon.

Looks like next time I see the island, it'll be by boat.
"You take delight not in a city's seven or seventy wonders, but in the answer it gives to a question of yours. Or the question it asks you, forcing you to answer, like Thebes through the mouth of the Sphinx." –I. Calvino, Invisible Cities
bigdaddytim
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by bigdaddytim »

I can't imagine carrying any kind of boat down the beach. It takes about 25 minutes to get to the place to cross the water.
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

bigdaddytim wrote:I can't imagine carrying any kind of boat down the beach. It takes about 25 minutes to get to the place to cross the water.
Park and put in at Chouteau Island fishing area. Total boat carrying = 50 feet.
bigdaddytim
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: What do we know about the interior of Mosenthein Island?

Post by bigdaddytim »

I'm heading back out to the river this morning.I have a plan to get across the water. I tried to look up the river level but was unable to find something I could understand. Since you were able to find that information could you update me on the river today?
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: What do we know about the interior of Mosenthein Isl

bigdaddytim wrote:I'm heading back out to the river this morning.I have a plan to get across the water. I tried to look up the river level but was unable to find something I could understand. Since you were able to find that information could you update me on the river today?
Awesome. Would love to hear about it when you get back.

River level today is -0.57', which is the lowest it's been since the big 8' jump last month. For comparison: the level when I took the pictures farther up-thread was -3.9'. (Meaning the river was about 3.5 feet lower, then).

On the NOAA graph the left (blue) is recent past levels and the right (purple) is projected future levels. (Though I gotta say that in the four months I've been following the levels closely, the "future levels" projection has been consistently and dramatically wrong, and shouldn't be trusted to be even close.)
bigdaddytim
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by bigdaddytim »

Great information. I found that web site but didn't understand how to read it. How does today's levels compare with the end of January the first time I went? I know I'll fine out here in about 20 minutes. I just got here and I'm about to hit the trail.
If I make it to the island I'll try to find that location you told me about. I have a real GPS but ion unsure how to find a location. Wish me luck.
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Your first trip was right about the time that I went, give or take a week. The level would've been similar (≈-4.0') plus or minus half a foot. It barely varied at all in the weeks leading up to the big rise.

Make sure to let us know what you find; I'd be interested to hear more.
bigdaddytim
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by bigdaddytim »

Bad news. I couldn't cross the water due to the depth carved out by the current. I would say I'm going to need a bigger boat. But I'd need a smaller boat to begin with. I waded out about 6' measuring ahead of me with a stick and it dropped off above my level of water proofing. I have video tapped everything I just need to learn how to post it to YouTube.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

One can almost get there from the wing dam to the north, except there are two spots lower than the rest that the river is flowing thru. The current is whipping thru there though. This is at -0.5'.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... and(1).jpg

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... all(1).jpg
Last edited by Nicotti on Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Was reading through the older stuff in this thread and did some searching. This pdf of a 1929 North & South shoreline development plan proposed straightening the Mississippi through Gaberet Island, making the old channel into a lagoon and yacht basin and turning Mosenthein and the south half of Gaberet into an airport and public park. It was estimated to cost 22 million.

-Ayn Rand