What do we know about the interior of Mosenthein Island?

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

RE: What do we know about the interior of Mosenthein Island?

Post by Mandi Milenko »

Well put some fix-a-flat in that shit and git r done! :D
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

So on a side note, did you see any bald eagles jjjj?
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: What do we know about the interior of Mosenthein Isl

Post by jjjjjjjijjjjjjj »

Mandi Milenko wrote:We didn't have to fight any briar patches to get to the beach.
It's not about getting to the beach -- I fully believe that that was easy to do -- it's about getting to the dry ford... which in this instance can only be the 4" wide log linked in the picture above.

The stream that runs along that beach is at least 5' deep, and we're at a historically very low river level. I doubt that there could ever be a dry passage with the current river config.

That's the only dry way across from the farm where you parked, and in my experience (which certainly wasn't exhaustive, and there could be other routes I didn't take), I'd say bring a machete.
"You take delight not in a city's seven or seventy wonders, but in the answer it gives to a question of yours. Or the question it asks you, forcing you to answer, like Thebes through the mouth of the Sphinx." –I. Calvino, Invisible Cities
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Mandi Milenko wrote:So on a side note, did you see any bald eagles jjjj?
No eagles... though I have bad eyes, and shouldn't be trusted to see them even if they were there.

I saw a bunch of animal tracks (including tons of bird tracks) all over the sandbar. They were pretty fascinating to me at the time, but I'm not any kind of expert, and couldn't tell much about them.
"You take delight not in a city's seven or seventy wonders, but in the answer it gives to a question of yours. Or the question it asks you, forcing you to answer, like Thebes through the mouth of the Sphinx." –I. Calvino, Invisible Cities
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

jjjjjjjijjjjjjj wrote:
Mandi Milenko wrote:We didn't have to fight any briar patches to get to the beach.
That's the only dry way across from the farm where you parked, and in my experience (which certainly wasn't exhaustive, and there could be other routes I didn't take), I'd say bring a machete.
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj wrote:
By this time, I am utterly exhausted. I'm in what I think is really, really good (biking) shape; but this walking in sand shit has just completely defeated me. I am way more tired than I would be after 100mi on a bike, and I say this in complete sincerity and after much reflection. I sit and rest as it gets darker and the temperature drops.

]

riiiight
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: What do we know about the interior of Mosenthein Island?

??
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

I really didn't want to argue about this because it was dumb, but everyone who knows me around here knows I can't keep my mouth shut no matter how hard I try (hence "Miz Mayhem", so here it goes....

You came on here talking about how you literally wanted to cry because the way you went was so horrible, then you go on to tell people that it "certainly wasn't exhaustive" and they should totally go that way. It really doesn't matter, none of it does, who gives a damn what way people go. Just don't bitch about the way you chose to go about it. That is all....
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: What do we know about the interior of Mosenthein Island?

Go whatever way you'd like, I guess? I don't give a shit. I've been there by both ways and have a slight preference for the other. It's not a big deal.
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

Exactly my point...
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

I guess we will have to just agree to disagree on this. It really is a dumb thing to argue about, so why are we? :D

We went out there on Thursday to do some eagle watching. They were all on the gravel road to the right, by the bridge. I saw the most perfect one I had ever seen. Huge white head and tail. He was a beautiful bird! I tried to sneak up to the tree where he was perched but he took off before I could snap a pic (which was awesome to see).

We also followed a huge coyote down the gravel road for a short time but again, he took off before I could get a pic. He was gorgeous though :)
thechariot
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by thechariot »

you can get here on foot now that the river is so low. didnt explore much, not enough time.
bigdaddytim
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by bigdaddytim »

Hi everybody, i've been looking into Mosenthein Inland for over a year now. I was excited to see someone else was interested too. I don't see where anyone has made it to the island yet. I've been wanting to go for sometime. When I read that you guys were talking about I did it.it was at the end of January 2013. I tapped my hike just for you guys. But I don't know how to edit it and PDT it too YouTube. I figure it out and let you guys know when I do.
MY HIKE....
I parked at parking area near the water by the Chain of Rocks, just south of the bridge.the walk to the island took about an hour. There

was a small water crossing. But someone had laid a tree accrossed one area that made it easy to cross. I hiked to the north end of island and climbed up. The island its 20 or 30 feet of the sandbar. I started hiking to the east side of the for about a half hour and then decided to cut across the middle of the island
bigdaddytim
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by bigdaddytim »

Cont:..... I started West looking for any signs of life from the past and I never saw anything that would indicate inhabitants. While I was in the middle of the island I checked my GPS only to find out I was only on the very north end of the island. There were large open area on the interior but no signs of building. No foundation stone, no nothing.
Once I got to the West side I decided to head back. It took my 4 hours round trip and I was bushed. I would recommend if your going to do this to be in shape, bring plenty of water and some type of snacks to keep your energy up.
I went back this weekend 2-9-13 only to find that threw water was up and I couldn't get to the island. I was not happy.I went ahead and hiked the east bank for awhile. Pretty boring.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

yeah, always bring water and snacks!
bigdaddytim
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by bigdaddytim »

I just read all that information I posted. I sound like a moron. That'll teach me to type a long message on my cell phone in my car. Sorry about that. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.