What do we know about the interior of Mosenthein Island?

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: What do we know about the interior of Mosenthein Island?

Post by jjjjjjjijjjjjjj »

Awesome work, man. Many thanks.
"You take delight not in a city's seven or seventy wonders, but in the answer it gives to a question of yours. Or the question it asks you, forcing you to answer, like Thebes through the mouth of the Sphinx." –I. Calvino, Invisible Cities
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

Not a problem. I'd never heard of the place before and it was fun to learn all about it in detail.
archinstl
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

RE: What do we know about the interior of Mosenthein Island?

Post by archinstl »

WOW - you are stylin' ! ! !
KatyaRose92
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by KatyaRose92 »

From the website for the City of Madison:

“Chouteau Island” is actually a 5,500 acre three-island portion of the City which includes Chouteau Island (3,200 acres), Mosenthein Island (1,000 acres), and Gabaret Island (1,300 acres). These islands are the focus of the Chouteau Island Implementation effort, a program to develop the islands into a passive recreational complex, with extensive floodplain restoration. Recreational opportunities will include trails, wildlife viewing, fishing, hunting, and other educational and interpretive activities. Restoration activities will encompass wetlands, hardwood forests, and flood plain and prairie habitats.

The State of Illinois has purchased 78% of the 5,500 acre complex, and work has begun on a number of the elements of the Implementation. The first recreational trail opened on Chouteau and Gabaret Islands in 2003 (on top of a federal levee), and additional funds are being sought to replicate a 1930 era interpretive Toll Booth at the foot of the Old Chain of Rocks Bridge. Linking the original Illinois-Missouri Connection at Route 66, this Toll Booth will be the only “hard” facility on the island-complex and will evoke a “Route 66” theme on this portion of the Chouteau Island complex.

Chouteau and Gabaret Islands are accessible by vehicles, bicycles, or pedestrians using various bridges, including the Old Chain of Rocks Bridge. Mosenthein Island is only accessible by boat. A master plan showing trails, roads, and shelters for the Chouteau Island Implementation Effort is available on the SWIRCD, Inc website.

....And I see references to hunting on the islands - duck and deer mostly.
Gravity checks may occur without warning.
the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by the_p0ssum »

Goto historicaerials.com and (using the slide compare) select the 1958 and 2007 aerials for an idea of where there were a few structures. You might be able to still find some of the foundations.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

the_p0ssum wrote:Goto historicaerials.com and (using the slide compare) select the 1958 and 2007 aerials for an idea of where there were a few structures. You might be able to still find some of the foundations.
As an aside, the 1958 aerial at chain of rocks shows the dike out to the water intake.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

So I went to Mosenthein on a lark yesterday afternoon. Apologies to the two folks who PMed me wanting to go; wasn't trying to ditch you, and I'll go again. I just got an afternoon free at the last minute, and decided to go spur of the moment.

Here's the GPS data from the trip: Strava, and PNG

Skim or skip to the photos, if you'd prefer.

The Plan:
[Start time: 11AM, Friday, Jan 25]

01.) [1.5 hours] – Ride #90 Bus to Riverview Metro Center; bike across Chain of Rocks Bridge and to Chou Isl Fishing Area.
02.) [15 minutes] – Fly across 2 miles of gravel bar effortlessly (because of awesome biking skills).
03.) [3 hours] – Thoroughly explore the interior of the northern 1/3 of the island, prioritizing the (possible) structure at 38.7286, -90.2002.
04.) [2 hours] – Leisurely bike ride home; eat, shower, go party with friends.

[End time: 5:30PM]

What actually happened:
[Start time: 12 noon, Friday, Jan 25]

01.) [1.5 hours] – Rode #90 Bus to Riverview Metro Center; biked across Chain of Rocks Bridge and to Chou Isl Fishing Area.
02.) instantly began making a comically tragic series of bad decisions
03.) [3 hours] Pushed unrideable bike across 4 miles of dry, deep sand, making every possible wrong turn in a confusing maze of braided stream channels.
04.) [instant] Realization that bringing a bike was less than useless, and that without it I would be a 1 mile walk on a dry rock groin away from the island
05.) [1 hour] Made it to the island; realized that I'm way behind schedule, that I'm running out of sunlight, and that I'm more tired than I've been in ages. Set foot on the island, just as proof-of concept, then try to slog back. Look back ruefully at the island and promise to return. TOTAL TIME SPENT ON ISLAND: 8 minutes.
06.) [1 hour] Slogged through more dry sand. Sat down, completely exhausted; contemplated crying from frustration for the first time ever as an adult man. (decided against it)
07.) [1.5 hours] Beyond fed-up with sand, boldly deviated from previous course; walked due east towards the levee. Encountered unbikeable sticker bushes and dense vegetation. Walked for a mile with my bike over my head.
08.) [1 hours] Crossed 2 miles through two huge farmer's fields full of canteloupe-sized ankle breaking soft mud clumps.
09.) [3 hours] Bike home, freezing, and in an existential fugue; decide that life has no meaning and that modernity and late-capitalism have left us all utterly and inextricably alone. Stop at Randall's on the way for whiskey, and pick up a sandwich.
10.) [Rest of night] Drank whiskey, felt better, got over it.

[End time: 8:30PM]

tl;dr: Go, absolutely, but don't take your bike.

Photos:

(Full-sized photos can be found in this album)

My first view of the island, from the Chain of Rocks Bridge (island is on the horizon, center):

You end up at the Choteau Island Fishing Area. You see the first sandbar from the parking lot. Follow the sandbar south, hugging the east ("left", wooded) side of it. That rock groin on the river side is not the groin that goes to the island. I made this mistake.

I met a really helpful beachcomber on the sandbar pictured above. I asked him if he was coming back from the island, and he said that he was. I asked if there was a dry passage. He said that he came from across the rock groin, but said that I should hug the eastern edge, where I could ford the water which was 3 feet deep or so.

In hindsight, I now know that he suggested this because I was carrying a bike, but at the time, the thought of navigating rocks seemed better than fording freezing water, so I headed for the groin. (If you'd like to make an off-color joke, here's your opening).

The first groin is a fake-out, though. You climb over it, go down another sandbar, and then find the real groin. When you go over it you see:

Then it dawns on me why the old beachcomber told me to stay east; these groins are extremely rocky and rugged, and this one is a mile long or so. Dragging 30lbs of bike over it is a non-starter.

It was completely dry, though, and I would've taken this route if it weren't for my boat-anchor of a bike. There were two "gaps" in the groin that would be the first to flood at higher water. Gaps pictured here:

On this day, the river was at -4'. With 1.5' or so of rock showing on the lower of the two gaps, I'd speculate that this route is passable at a river level of anything less than -2.5'.

So I head east like I should've all along, but I'm not finding this magical, shallow ford that the beachcomber mentioned. I actually ponder a suicide dash through a 5' gap that I am (now, in hindsight) absolutely positive would've ruined my day.

Then I wander farther through the braided streams and find the gap. There's even a log thrown down by some helpful person. Problem is: how do I get this awkward, huge 29er over a 4" wide log, with 2" of slick mud on the soles of my shoes:

Thought about throwing the bike over, but was worried about snapping the derailleur. (Ironically, this bike started life as a single-speed. I would've pitched that incarnation across in a second with no worries). I had to clean my shoes as best I could and bite the bullet. This would've been another day-ruiner to fall in, and we're getting farther and farther from fast-egress, and thoughts of needing medical attention for hypothermia are setting in.

Well. Safely across, here is your reward:

Two more miles of pushing through the softest, deepest sand imaginable. This part was probably the worst.

After this gap you reach Mosenthein Island.

Here is your goal; photo taken as you first step onto Mosenthein Island. I had planned on exploring it for 3 hours, but by now I'm running out of daylight, and exhausted from carrying a boat anchor. I stayed here for all of 8 minutes:

Walking back, I cast a rueful glance at the island and vowed to return and wrest from her her secrets.

On the way back, the sand is worse and the weather is colder.

I spot this thing, but do not know what it is:

By this time, I am utterly exhausted. I'm in what I think is really, really good (biking) shape; but this walking in sand shit has just completely defeated me. I am way more tired than I would be after 100mi on a bike, and I say this in complete sincerity and after much reflection. I sit and rest as it gets darker and the temperature drops.

I drink a tall-boy of Belleville's own (sorta) Stag and (honestly) consider weeping from frustration. Completely out-of-character. I briefly contemplate whether this means that I am becoming more well-rounded, or whether I am going soft with age. At any rate: I do not.

(For bike nerds: Rigid 29er, unbranded aluminum Stout SE knockoff frame. Single speed converted to a 1x8. 2.1" tires. Super classy front fender.)

I won't bore you with the rest... but in summary, I made at least three more bad decisions, walked at least 6 more miles carrying the bike, and biked 18 miles home in somber, defeated silence.

UNRELATED:

Saw this on the bus-ride out there. Apparently they're tearing down the gasometer in North City? That sucks.

"You take delight not in a city's seven or seventy wonders, but in the answer it gives to a question of yours. Or the question it asks you, forcing you to answer, like Thebes through the mouth of the Sphinx." –I. Calvino, Invisible Cities
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Re: RE: What do we know about the interior of Mosenthein Isl

Post by Mandi Milenko »

Mandi Milenko wrote:Where are you planning on parking? I think that way would be the easiest way to get there. It's a bitch to walk down that beach because of the sand if you're planning on parking at chain of rocks. I remember when we went to that farm last year you could almost get across from where we were. It's only about a mile or two down the gravel road. If you're on a bike it would be way easy.
Told you so! ;) I knew that sand sucked. I've walked way down that beach before. You should really check out the way I was talking about. It seems much easier, and WAY less sand!

It sucks that you had a bad time though. I hope your next adventure goes much smoother!
jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Thanks for the concern. I really had a pretty great time, though, in hindsight.

One of those "sucked at the time" things that are awesome after a good night's sleep.

The only real down-side is that I didn't see any of the island. I gotta go back, for sure. I'll catch a ride with some buddies and make them lace up their boots. (It's character-building).
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

Well, if anyone else is interested, here are some pics of the farm and the view of the island from that vantage point. Keep in mind these were taken last year, and the river is a lot lower this year... You can park here and follow the gravel road on the right (not the levee) until the end.

The view of the city skyline on the way there

TONS of trash wash-up in the woods.

jjjjjjjijjjjjjj
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

I had seen you original suggestion; I didn't follow it because I don't own a car, and approaching it your way would've made it prohibitively difficult. You kind of have to do it the way that you can, y'know? I would've entertained your method, though, had it been an option.

That said: I went by that farm on my way out. I don't know if I'd recommend it over the Chouteau Island Fishing Area route (regardless of car v. bike).

Most of the eastern channel is dry now, but there's still a 10' wide, 4'+ deep stream that runs down the entirety of the far eastern side. There's no direct route from your farm to the island.

The choke-point (at least on the day I went) is still gonna be this... You're absolutely gonna have to get to that point, if you park at that farm -- is gonna mean a hike up to it and then back down to the island. The end result would be something of trivially shorter distance, but guaranteeing you a half-mile of thick brambles and sticker-bushes.

It's up to the individual, but having experienced both approaches, I'm going with 2 miles of sand rather than 1.8 miles of mixed farmland and briar patches.
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

We didn't have to fight any briar patches to get to the beach. We just walked down the levee to the left a little until there was a clear path. It was really easy, but I can see what you're saying with not having a car. However, I disagree otherwise. A gravel road is a whole hell of a lot easier to walk and bike down then a big ass sandy beach.

It doesn't really matter. Someone needs to go find some cool shit on that island.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Walking on sand sucks so bad... unless your actively trying to exercise every leg muscle you didnt even now you had.

-Ayn Rand
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

Nic, you have a Kayak. Get on that ;)
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I still haven't gotten around to find the hole we poked in it when we floated over to the boat like a year ago.

-Ayn Rand