Ruprecht Quarry In Lemay?

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
archinstl
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Ruprecht Quarry In Lemay?

Post by archinstl »

38°32'13"N 90°17'30"W
Insert on Bing Map - better views than on Google.

I encountered this by accident while looking for something else. I searched the site here and found nada.
Apparently it's not been in use for many years, albeit sort of maintained. It's huge, with a number of buildings and a crane visible on the Avenue H side.
It's immediately North of the Mt. Olive cemetery and a few blocks West of Lemay Ferry Road.

All I could find on a Google Search for info is that it is abandoned and that there had been some talk 7 years ago about turning it into a County park.
Also - skim down to page 82 here, from July, 2011:
http://www.lemaynow.com/cmss_files/atta ... -%20sm.pdf

It's still owned by the Ruprecht Quarry and Material Company. The taxes are amazing - the whole complex is valued at - $18,600.00...last year the property tax was - $1720.00. I'd guess the company has some smart lawyers...
And there is no personal property there...Haw!

Anyone ever visit it?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Ruprecht Quarry In Lemay?

Post by Nicotti »

archinstl wrote:38°32'13"N 90°17'30"W
Insert on Bing Map - better views than on Google.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

archinstl wrote: Anyone ever visit it?
I have wanted to for a long time, but have been warned that the cops in that area are draconian nazies with their own rulebook. Be very careful not to get cought if you go.
squeaksman
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Ruprecht Quarry In Lemay?

Post by squeaksman »

That's pretty cool. I would imagine that the cops are dicks because of what lies beneath the water. Can you imagine what has been dumped in there over the years. That close to an urban area, its probably a hot spot.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: RE: Ruprecht Quarry In Lemay?

Post by Nicotti »

squeaksman wrote:Can you imagine what has been dumped in there over the years.
Considering they found a body in the one in springfield when they were filling it for the park, I bet this one has some good stuff.

-Ayn Rand
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Re: RE: Ruprecht Quarry In Lemay?

Post by Twail Wetard »

Nicotti wrote: Considering they found a body in the one in springfield when they were filling it for the park, I bet this one has some good stuff.
So I believe that they filled that in before I could drive, anybody check that out or got any more info on the body?
THE THREAD KILLER!
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

John A. Moody
Case Number 98-54788
1111 E. Trafficway
On November 17, 1998, at 11:46 a.m. Springfield Police Officers were dispatched to 1111 E. Trafficway, the Conco quarry, concerning a possible body found floating in the water. Officers arrived and confirmed the discovery of a deceased male’s body in the quarry. The deceased male was later identified as 23-year-old John A. Moody. An autopsy was completed and it was determined Moody died as the result of a gunshot wound.

Officers and detectives conducted an extensive investigation and discovered Moody’s family and friends reported last seeing Moody or having contact with Moody approximately one month prior to the discovery of his body. It is unknown how long Moody’s body may have been in the quarry before it was discovered.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Yeah, my mom works for that quarry, the police interviewed a bunch of the quarry workers about finding the body.

And I didn't realize it was that long ago.

-Ayn Rand
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Funny that they called it to Conco quarry. Don't think it ever really belonged to Conco, but I guess that is the closest business.

In 1941 the Ash Grove Lime Company purchased the quarry. Both the Ash Grove Lime and Portland Cement Company operated in this location until 1963, when the quarry was abandoned. It is estimated that over six billion pounds of rock came from the quarry.

After the quarry was abandoned in 1963 it lay idle for a year and then was opened as a landfill for trade wastes. It operated as a landfill until 1970 when health officials began to fear the landfill was a hazard because it contained combustible waste. It was closed completely for six weeks in 1971 while the Missouri Geological Survey investigated. It was allowed to continue functioning until September 1972 when it was ordered to stop taking waste.

Jim Hedges of Hedges Construction Company took over the fill on New Years Day 1973. That same day a fire broke out. Because of the large amount of combustible materials, the fire burned for several weeks in 1973 and then flared up again in 1976. Smoke containing harmful gasses spread throughout the area of the quarry, affecting the businesses nearby. Big cranes were used to fight the fire as well as United States Navy equipment. Water mains had to be relocated to provide enough water to battle the blaze.

The huge pit remained full of greenish water until April 2001 when the quarry was drained so it could become a part of Jordan Valley Park. Work toward that end continues at the old quarry site.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Ash Grove is part of Conco these days.

-Ayn Rand
thechariot
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by thechariot »

I highly advise against trekking into the quarry off of lemay ferry. I live very close to this place and it is indeed smack dab in the middle of a police state like area of town. be very careful. entry is easy enough, but once youre in, the gravel and rock give way under your feet very easily, could fall to your death pretty fast. be careful preaze.
JK8489
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by JK8489 »

A childhood friend of mine, James Mitchell French, fell into the Lemay quarry about 33 years ago. We were about 14 or 15 at the time. He slipped when the gravel gave way. He was with another person. He did not survive.