Post by Twail Wetard »

Welcome to the board
THE THREAD KILLER!
jgladzz
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Devil's Slide and Stalactite cave question

Post by jgladzz »

yeah DO NOT go up that road to get to it. some of my friends did that a few weeks ago and the owner came out with a pistol and called the cops on them. i have been there, i parked in the lost hill parking lot and walked up on it the back way.
HannahLeigh417
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by HannahLeigh417 »

I just found Stalactite cave today. We decided to keep wandering through the woods after entering In and Out cave. When you get to Lost Hill, the quickest way to get to it is heading down the entrance trail, cut across the field on the right and cross the creek. The right side will be the bluff where cozy cave is. Head up the trail and keep an eye out for a clearing on your right. You'll see a barb wire fence. Follow it all the way up. You never have to cross a fence, until you come upon In and Out cave. It'll be a hole in the ground on your left. It was filled with all kinds of scat, I'm assuming it was fox. Also a protractor, lol which we took with us and threw away. (Leave no trace :)) Keep following the fence, I noticed what looked like a clearing in the woods, and boom, the last cave on my list on Lost Hill property. If you cross the ridge you've gone too far. Questions, comments, concerns? Please pm me. Oh and any lead to devils slide would be phenomenal, I've wanted to see it since my mom told me she went in it in the 70's. And I know I've been close :/
jgladzz
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by jgladzz »

Yeah stalactite cave is nothing but a big crack in the ground. There is one more cave down the ridge away from lost hill park called coffin cave. It is maybe 300-400 yards away from stalactite cave on the crest of some bluffs, it is hard to find because it's just a big crack, it has two main rooms, nothing huge but a cool cave. Best way to find it is by looking for the sign on a tree. Devils slide is close to coffin cave. Once you find coffin cave, just head south until you find some power lines. (Private land just to let you know) there is a little road in the tree line off the south side of the power lines (across from one of the huge polls) and the cave is right on that little road/path. You may be able to see the path on google maps. The land owner is not welcome to trespassers so be smart.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: Devil

Post by jammer_smith »

Man, there are like 15 caves around that area, lemme see if I can name them all.

In the ridge to the north of the creek you have Low Arch Cave, Crevice Cave, and Cozy Cave. On the ridge to the south you have, right on the trail, High Arch Cave and Trace Cave. Further to the south and west on the same dome of land you have Coffin Cave and Valley Cave. Off Lost Hill grounds, but still in the same dome, you have Devil's Slide. Crossing over into the next dome of land further South and West you have the Fulbright Spring caves which consist of the Spring Cave itself (guarded and blocked) as well as two small caves in the cliff overlooking the spring, and Keyhole cave on the top of the ridge above the spring.

Those are the caves I know of right immediately in easy walking range of the Lost Hill.

Can someone give me a good appx coordinate for the stalactite cave. I've never managed to stumble across the thing despite all my walks out there.

(If you don't know how to do coordinates. Go go googlemap, rightclick on the spot where you thing the cave is near, and click "what's here" and you will get long and lat coordinates.)
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
jgladzz
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by jgladzz »

Jammer_smith: I just pm'ed you the location.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

Is there a cave that can be seen from the road off FR129? Just north of Sac Valley Lane? It'd be in the rock face over the river...
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I've never noted a cave in the rock face on the north side of the river. South and west of that bridge is a defunct quarry and cave on land that abuts Fantastic Caverns land. I havn't been out to it since it's super-visible and next to a house, but it's on my to-do list.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

I need to go drive around again, and take binoculars with me this time. I swear I saw one, going north on FR129, north of Sac Valley Ln right close to where the road crosses the river. this would be north/northeast of the fantastic caverns property.
HannahLeigh417
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by HannahLeigh417 »

There are two east of Fantastic Caverns, and west of FR129. One is called Fantastic Collapse Cave, but the one you are seeing from the road is called Williams Spring Cave.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I have not been able to find fantastic collapse cave. I know apx. where it is, but I've hiked all long that ridge line east of Indian Spring and have yet to find it.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Re: RE: Devil's Slide and Stalactite cave question

Post by lolabelle »

HannahLeigh417 wrote:There are two east of Fantastic Caverns, and west of FR129. One is called Fantastic Collapse Cave, but the one you are seeing from the road is called Williams Spring Cave.
cool, thanks. looking at other threads on this site for Williams Spring Cave, yep that looks to be the one I saw.