Devil's Slide and Stalactite cave question

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Devil's Slide and Stalactite cave question

Post by jammer_smith »

So I've found almost every cave in the Lost Hill area, I am still looking for stalactite cave. Anyone have any hints? Landmarks? Anything like that would be a massive help. I actually accidentaly found Devil's Slide cave while tromping around looking for Stalactite Cave, so not a total bust eh?

Which leads me to my question about Devil's Slide.

That does the carving above the entrance say? It's so weathered I can't make it out.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

RE: Devil's Slide and Stalactite cave question

Post by liesreality »

Have no idea on directions to give other than when i went to the cave, i recall walking around some junk. it appeared to be in a straight line from the junk pile (opposite direction of the trail at Lost hill). Its the hardest of any of the caves to find at Lost Hill. Its a small cut in the ground (really tight squeeze) that does about a 15-20 ft vertical drop. Doesnt go back very far.

There is a sign above this cave nailed on a tree that says cave closed---sadly the sign blends in with the trees.. The cave is directly below this sign.

Devils cave---Hmm....i missed that.
Nemophilist
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Devil's Slide and Stalactite cave question

Post by Nemophilist »

jammer_smith wrote: Which leads me to my question about Devil's Slide.

That does the carving above the entrance say? It's so weathered I can't make it out.
Maybe I'm just oblivious, but I've never even noticed a carving.
Are there a decent number of caves out there? I only know about Devil's Slide and I haven't been there in years.
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

Veruth---Same here i didnt notice any carving, but could have missed it.

Lost Hill has a few caves that are very close to the path.

When you get off the beaten path there is:

valley cave--stand up cave. Very wide.

Keyhole cave---Hole in the ground, with a thin bar across the top of the hole. Leads off in one direction for a short distance (stand up in height).

Stalactite cave---hardest of all the caves to find. Very thin cut in the ground. Vertical 15-20 ft drop, and doesnt go back that far. Looks like it has collapsed in a spot towards the end.

Devils Slide cave===We originally wandered blindly for this cave, with 3 of us looking for it. In the end i returned and asked a nearby property owner about it. They werent big on letting anyone near it, but did end up taking us to it.

Fulbright cave---no idea, havent been in.
Nemophilist
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Devil

Post by Nemophilist »

If Fulbright is the one I'm thinking of it may be inside the pumping station property.

http://www.undergroundozarks.com/forum/ ... php?t=3139
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

yes, same one.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Ok watch this video. When I get to the cave that I think is devils slide, I look at the carvings and you can plainly see them.

Is this not devils slide? The carvings stood out to me right away, i would imagin you'd see them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF1-D2JI ... ata_player
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

That one tree log path you went up, i went up that also, and its not a real bad incline, but is a lot worse than it first appears. I was hoping for something well worth it to be up right there, but wasnt.
Seen the area you typed in for stalactive cave (alternative). I didnt notice i guess any carvings on the rock before, but from what i could tell i think you did find the same cave. Your video was good, but i'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you found devils cave, and you definatley found the other caves at Lost Hill, then you probably just sadly overlooked stalactite cave, which is as i said before very hard to see/find.

Your right on the ticks though.
moffster120
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by moffster120 »

The first time I went into the park and explored the back areas we found the Stalactite cave. Its a 9 foot drop in and contains unfortunately vast amounts of vandalism. The descent is fun however into it. Its located above a valley floor due south on the way towards the slide. In total I have found in the park and area adjacent the following Major caves (disregarding the minor ones): In and out cave, Keyhole Cave, Fulbright Spring (blocked off but has a potential other entrance), and a cave east of fulbright that once connected to it but was mud filled. I also have a hunch that another major cave system is hidden in the park and am going to investigate it with my roommate soon.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Re: RE: Devil's Slide and Stalactite cave question

Post by liesreality »

Moffster---Your definately correct about the drop into stalactite cave. On my first time seeing it i didnt enter, but instead entered when i was better prepared on my 2nd trip.

Ya, your right, i forgot about in/out cave.

You've been in valley cave also right?

Out of curiosity is the cave you are looking for in the direction from Lost Hill towards the homes of N broadway ave?
Nemophilist
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Nemophilist »

No, that's Devil's Slide. Cool.
I'll have to go back and look for those carvings. I don't know how I've never seen them.
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

coffin cave also there at devils slide cave.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Can anyone get me a decently close coordinate for stalactite. I was searching east of devils slide to the south of the power line strip.
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

I didnt get the exact coordinates to it. Is down from power line strip and further away from road than devils slide cave.
Tree stalker
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Tree stalker »

The property that devil's slide cave is on is absolutely private property. There are no trespassing signs at the entrance on both sides and all the way down the street. That is something that I have to respect. So I did not go in and have noticed the Greene county sheriff patrolling often.