How did you Discover Underground Ozarks?

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

How did you Discover Underground Ozarks?

Post by jammer_smith »

I discovered this site back in the summer of um, I think 06, when I decided to spent a whole summer Ghost Hunting.

I've never believed in Ghosts, but I figured if I spent an entire summer going to every location within reasonable diving range that is supposed to be haunted, and following up on every ghostly story I could, and still encountered nothing, then that would prove that either A: There are no ghosts, or B: I am ghost proof and don't have to worry anyway.

So I came across this site while trying to find the exact location of Albino Farm, which of course showed up in my research for haunted missouri locations.

I waited like, almost a year I think, to make an account and post anything.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Re: How did you Discover Underground Ozarks?

Post by Kit »

The library site sent me here when looking for info on the Albino Farm. FOREVER ago
Kit wrote:I am old
LoZLady
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by LoZLady »

I found the site while trying to find more information on Garber, Mo. And that was, oh gosh, so long ago! Like, a month? Haha
Obviously you're not a golfer.
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

My mom read an article in the Eureka Springs newspaper about these explorers in the eureka tunnels that came up into the auditorium during a Willie Nelson concert. If I recall correctly.

Anyway my mom send me the article saying it sounds like the type of stuff I do. They plugged the website in the article. That was what? 2005?
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

I'd been lurking for a year or two before I joined. I just checked and I registered the day my last girlfriend dumped me, and in doing so, I had a lot more free time to explore. Woohoo!

I found it by just researching places to check out and seeing if anyone had info on Allenton, the town that is no more. http://www.undergroundozarks.com/forum/ ... php?t=2875
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

I met Chris and memory_machine on UER in '06. One of them told me about UO.
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: How did you Discover Underground Ozarks?

Post by SubLunar »

It's all crazydrummerdude's fault.

We had always explored whatever buildings we knew about on our own, which was a fairly limited amount. Mostly houses. We were in full swing, pre-UO by the time we came across Allenton in 2006. I thought we were doing pretty well without it. But once he started showing me some of the places he found out about through UO, I figured I'd be stupid not to join. "Places like that actually exist?"

At first, I was opposed to the idea of public websites and posting any these places online. I thought there would be too much drama and cliquey bullshit and not enough exploring and information sharing. I eventually learned to appreciate the delicate balance of what gets posted here and what doesn't.

Eventually, we met WR and redox. Then WR met my mom... I think he became my new stepdad for a brief period of time in 2008.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Been on here almost since the day the site came back online. I was researching Winoka Lodge at the time. That was back at the end of '04. Man that's been a long time ago. Oddly a friend had told me about the old site and about it having info about Winoka Lodge and some tunnels and stuff, but I didn't connect the two until WR revealed himself!
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

Willard wrote:until WR revealed himself!
To your mom I take it?
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

I'd always been aware of tunnels in Springfield, but for some reason never bothered to check any out until ShadowBearer told me about this awesome website "about the acid tunnel, and a bunch of other cool shit!", so I checked it out, realized that better info could probably be found on the forums, so I joined up. Been wasting time here ever since.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

A guy I used to work with went to the mines in Ark with a group that WR was in and he was telling me about it and the site. I don't think he's posted on here since then... I, obviously have... alot. His name was BrandoLuck or something like that.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I googled peanut butter and analingus and found it.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

BROUSER wrote:I googled peanut butter and analingus and found it.
If cobcob was posting regularly at the time, I have no doubt this is true. :lol:
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Pinwheel
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by Pinwheel »

Googing Urban Exploring Arkansas.
Pinwheel pinwheel spin me around!
Look through my pinwheel and see what I found!
H311RA151N
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by H311RA151N »

Google searched "White Rabbit ozarks caves" after watching an episode of Jesse Ventura.