dolling park trails

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: dolling park trails

Post by Willard »

I still think the park board doesn't care worth a shit about preserving the parks. All they think about is how to "update" them... All the park board has done is erase more history of Dolling Park. If they want to do Springfield a favor, they would put the god damn fucking park back the way it was when it still had rides and a midway and make it retro 1920's. That would bring it lots of attention and it would most likely win lots of awards.

Sequiota needs lots of restoration (not the bull shit they've done) in order for it to regain the beauty it had 80 years ago.

BTW I have no faith in this city anymore. I spend my time doing research about Springfield and the more I learn the more I know that Springfield lost all of it's interesting features and greatness in the 1960's and 1970's.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

i know i miss how beautiful that park used to be. :)

i would really really really like to drain the lake and look for all the treasures people lost when going down the roller coaster ... clean it up and fill it back up with good water :) find a way to keep it clean :)
Kit wrote:I am old
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Keeping Dolling Lake and Sequitoa Lake clean wouldn't be hard... Just a nice thick layer of sand on the bottom is enough. Somehow the sand acts as a natural filtration system. One of my Odd Fellow brothers told me about one somewhere in the Carthage area that has a sandy bottom and it's clean as a whistle.

ouvgotmel
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by ouvgotmel »

There is a web site for doling from the time it was opened and there are lots of pics and post cards. It use to be so beautiful. I can't believe it changed that much and I can't believe the tore down the old buildings and skating rink the buildings weren't in bad shape, why did they do that. Why didn't they just leave them and build the new ones too.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

That dirt bike guy sounds like a douche. If I ever see him I'm going to kick him in the nuts.

As for the parks, I've got a few comments:

1: If nothing else, open Doling Cave. It's not even remotely dangerous, and there's absolutely no reason why it should be barred off the way it is. The Fisher Cave at Sequiota is FAR worse, and it's open to the public.

2: Doling lake is nasty, but Sequiota lake is HIDEOUS. My god, the stench! The thing is, the water going into the lake is crystal clear. As Willard said, this is a problem easily solved with a little effort.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Well, I seem to have double-posted, but while I'm here I'd like to also point out how badass it would be if the city still offered the occasional boat ride into Sequiota Cave. They could at least do it on special occasions, and I don't feel like it would cost a lot to get things up and running. They'd have to replace the lights, which are beyond repair, but it wouldn't be like trying to replace the whole Doling midway. Good PR, too. That's the kind of thing that looks GREAT on the news.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Ever notice the old concrete slabs under the water on the opposite side just in the mouth of the cave? You know over where all the nasty mud is? Anyway either the water level has risen or those slabs have sunk, either way none of that has been used since before the 1930's for boat rides as far as I've found. That was just the water feed for the fish hatchery until the 1960's when the new facility was built on the Lake Taneycomo side of Table Rock Dam.

bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Re: RE: dolling park trails

Post by bluecookies »

ouvgotmel wrote:There is a web site for doling from the time it was opened and there are lots of pics and post cards.
do you remember where that can be found?
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

sand is cheap too
ouvgotmel
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by ouvgotmel »

Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

oh yeah, the Library Center's Local History Dept. has lots more postcards then that. The History Museum actually has pictures and stuff if I remember right.

Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

you got to know there are a lot of cool trinkets in the lake where they dropped that car full of people over and over again.

:)
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Sertile wrote:That dirt bike guy sounds like a douche. If I ever see him I'm going to kick him in the nuts.
I'll second that! I'll use an ancient Japanese technique known as "Kick to the Clotch" and then follow it up with a choke of some sort.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

avoid choking .. it moves things to second degree assult.
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

Only if they can identify you. Wear a mask and gloves, leave no evidence and you should be good.

Not that I would know anything about that.