dolling park trails

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

dolling park trails

Post by bluecookies »

I went for a leisurely walk with my wife tonight through the back of dolling. It was the first time I had been back there since they did that paving and kinda opened it up. We got off the beaten path a little and hit the tunnel that goes under the highway. Well anyway I guess as many times as I had been back there, I never walked through that part of the place before. As you get off the pavement and start heading on that trail back there, right there are some old cement structures. Just curious if anyone knows what they are or were I guess. I'll try to post a pic or two.
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

RE: dolling park trails

Post by bluecookies »

okay thought by adding an attachment they would post, but evidently they didn't. One more try. okay actually I think the file is way too big and I'm tired of messing with it. But if you have been back there you know what I'm talking about
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

I know what you're talking about, yes. However, I don't know what they were for. From the looks of them, they probably had something to do with water storage, probably for the quarry that's not too far away.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

I thought it might be the same, some sort of old water reservoir for maybe even dolling back in the day. Near those was what I thought maybe a foundation to a building that had once been. The odd thing is that it had grooves in the cement that ran the entire length evenly spaced apart. any ideas?
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

I've even asked the people who run the park, and no one seems to know for sure, or else they're just keeping it under their hats.

My two cents: I believe the structures had something to do with the now-defunct quarry operation outside Doling.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

I think they hide the bodies of the people who defecate on the park inside those concrete things. Or the mafia owns the park.
Anne has left the building.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Re: RE: dolling park trails

Post by Willard »

Sertile wrote:I've even asked the people who run the park, and no one seems to know for sure, or else they're just keeping it under their hats.

My two cents: I believe the structures had something to do with the now-defunct quarry operation outside Doling.
Hint: never ask the people that run any facilities in the Springfield Park System about anything that is either historical or not a part of what they are directly in charge of because they could care less and don't actually know. I'll bet the park board doesn't even know what those concrete things were for... Hell the park board didn't really know much history about Dolling Park to begin with... they found out from angry letters from older people that remember that old skating rink that was recently torn down.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Why did they tear that down, anyway? I was kind of pissed when I saw they were doing that. It was a nice rock building, and my mom used to always talk about skating there.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Sertile wrote:Why did they tear that down, anyway? I was kind of pissed when I saw they were doing that. It was a nice rock building, and my mom used to always talk about skating there.
It's the park board... why do they do anything they do? Anywho they left the original front of that building... My friend and I drove by there earlier today and that's what I saw.

Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Hiccup »

where is dolling park, anyway?
obviously spfld, but....?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Hiccup wrote:where is dolling park, anyway?
obviously spfld, but....?
Take Glenstone or National and go all the way to Kerney St. Then go to either Boonville or Campbell (it doesn't really matter whcih one) and take either road north and when you get to Talmage you'll be at Dolling Park.

Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

Easier directions:

Take whatever road you like to get to Kearney.
From Kearney, take Grant north (toward the fairgrounds).
The first light you come to will be Talmage.
Hang a right on Talmage.
Go through two (maybe three) stop signs.
The road will dogleg a little bit, and to your left will be the park.

By the way, it's spelled Doling, not Dolling.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Or you could just drive down Kearney St. either way and look out for a "Doling Park" sign on the side of the road. That's what I do.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Sertile wrote:Or you could just drive down Kearney St. either way and look out for a "Doling Park" sign on the side of the road. That's what I do.
Last time I knew, there wasn't a sign for Doling Park.

Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Well, there's a billboard that says such and such community center, and has coming events posted, but I'm not sure if the actual word "Doling" is employed, now that I think about it. Either way, that's it, and the road with the sign leads directly to the front gate.