Carver Mine

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Carver Mine

Post by liesreality »

Went out to the carver mine today, and looked around a bit with another member from this site.

Also, when i we were leaving i ran into member "sonofkong" who took pictures of the area. Hopefully, he will get some of the pictures up and posted of the area. It's wierd how this is off the beaten path so far. Not sure how i missed the snapping the turtles the 1st time, LOL.

Anyways, had a fun day with this and other places. :D
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: Carver Mine

Post by jammer_smith »

The guy who told me about the location said that when we was in school at Carver Elementary, they would go across the creek next to those three ponds and find a large peice of tin laying on the ground held down by rocks. They would lift that tin and undeneith was an old mine tunnel. They would go down there and smoke sometimes. It was usualy full of water and snakes so they couldn't go much past the first room, but there was old equipment down there and several branch tunnels.

He didn't even mention the cave/spring thing. I found the hole in the wall while searching for his tin-covered pit entrance.

I looked all over and couldn't find the entrance he was talking about. If it ever existed it must have been filled in, or is very well hidden in the under growth.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
SonOfKong
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: Carver Mine

Post by SonOfKong »

jammer_smith wrote:The guy who told me about the location said that when we was in school at Carver Elementary, they would go across the creek next to those three ponds and find a large peice of tin laying on the ground held down by rocks. They would lift that tin and undeneith was an old mine tunnel. They would go down there and smoke sometimes. It was usualy full of water and snakes so they couldn't go much past the first room, but there was old equipment down there and several branch tunnels.

He didn't even mention the cave/spring thing. I found the hole in the wall while searching for his tin-covered pit entrance.

I looked all over and couldn't find the entrance he was talking about. If it ever existed it must have been filled in, or is very well hidden in the under growth.

Now I've got to return and find the tunnel.
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

RE: Carver Mine

Post by liesreality »

Wow. The only tin i seen in the are was off of a building or something that was kinda piled up. Didnt look under any of it for a tunnel though. Nearby the tin is a structure of some sort that has been filled in with dirt that sonofkong took a picture of, due to a snapping turtle stuck in it. Would be neat to find that tunnel. The area is definately overgrown.

When i went over to the mine, i waited for all the bikers and joggers to be out of sight, then headed over. On my 2nd trip to the area to show sonofkong the area, when i returned, i came out in front of some joggers. They gave me some dirty looks, LOL>

I agree there are some very old neat things in the area, including a house. Also is a gas(?) line there.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

On top of the hill directly over head of the Mine is a neat old house. I know there is some interesting bit of history involving that house, but I can't recall it. It might be neat to explore but it's in pretty plain site so you'd probably need permission.

I looked all over for the tunnels, I kinda think they don't exist, or if they did they've been filled in, but hey...it's not a very big area, so I certainly encourage anyone to go have a look. If you do find it that'll be awesome.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

I also doubt the tunnels exist, but would be nice to find them.

Yes, we came across the abandoned house. Is that the same one you are talking about? :D
jakobkay60
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by jakobkay60 »

Are the houses you guys talking about located between Golden and Senic? if so I know a btter way to get there but ive never saw any mine back there just pm and Id gladly walk with you guys down there!
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

Hmm....i will pinpoint the house on a map and send it to you in a "pm." I am not sure if jammersmith is talking about the same house, but i can send you the house we went up to. :) Yes, i'm sure there is a much easier way to get to the house, but i only noticed the house when i was at the mine. :) Also, since we werent' sure it was empty, it made it nicer to be unseen. :wink:

The mine can be hard to find. Its definately off the path, and cant be seen from the path. The mine is not at the coordinates on the map, but the coordinates are fairly close to the area. I will send you the information here shortly to the mine also.

Would be glad to meet up with you at some point though, if you cant find it or show you other places. :)
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

I looked up on the map your streets, and no the house is not between those streets, but you are fairly close. I sent you a "pm" with the coordinates to the mine and house, along with some other information. :)

After re-reading Jammersmith's post, he is talking about the same house me and some others went up to. Same house. :)
SonOfKong
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: RE: Carver Mine

Post by SonOfKong »

jammer_smith wrote: I looked all over for the tunnels, I kinda think they don't exist, or if they did they've been filled in, but hey...it's not a very big area, so I certainly encourage anyone to go have a look. If you do find it that'll be awesome.
Did you lift up all those metal sheets when searching for the tunnel(s)? If you did, I won't bother, for reasons of avoiding both duplication of effort and the hordes of snakes that are sure to be nesting under there.
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

No, i did not. I doubt there is anything there or ever was. Would be a cool find, but i bet the tunnels never existed.

Let us know if you give it a try and if you find the lost tunnels, LOL> :D
SonOfKong
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by SonOfKong »

jammer_smith wrote:On top of the hill directly over head of the Mine is a neat old house. I know there is some interesting bit of history involving that house, but I can't recall it. It might be neat to explore but it's in pretty plain site so you'd probably need permission.
I went back out there today. My sons and I climbed to the top of the cliff above the mine and came up in the back yard of the house. I took pictures of the premises from the outside. Fascinating place. I'm seriously considering contacting the property owner and asking permission to go inside, even though it's unlikely such permission will be granted. Perhaps I will pose as a prospective buyer. Does anyone have any info about the history of this place?
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

Sent you a pm about property. :)
jakobkay60
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by jakobkay60 »

One of my friends grandfaher owns that place ill see what I can do about getting u permission about peeking around. Will ask sometime this week
SonOfKong
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by SonOfKong »

jakobkay60 wrote:One of my friends grandfaher owns that place ill see what I can do about getting u permission about peeking around. Will ask sometime this week
Hey if you could really pull that off that would be great.