Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in

Perry County Caves
View previous topic | View next topic  
azr3al
0-99 Poster
Member for: 2 years, 4 months0-99 Poster

Locations: United States
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Perry County Caves Reply with quote

Anybody ever hit up these caves?

Crevice Cave, Perry County, 28.2 miles
Moore Cave, Perry County, 16.7 miles
Mystery Cave, Perry County, 15.8 miles
Rimstone River Cave, Perry County, 14.2 miles

Holy fuck they are huge.....

It'd be bad ass to get a group together to hit them up.
PANIC! on the Titanic
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Locations: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Perry County Caves Reply with quote

While I haven't been to these, I do know that you probably don't want to do these caves if there's any rain in the forecast. Everything in Perry county is pretty much connected like a big conduit system, so flash flooding is always a hazard, unlike the ozarks where caves flood gradually over several hours, days or weeks. Best to go after the spring rains.

Crevice has been mapped to around 35 miles and has 5 entrances last I heard a couple years ago while talking to some cavers who were mapping it. They are trying to connect Crevice through a sump to another cave that would tack on another couple of miles, bringing the grand total up to around 40 miles of cave. That's impressive.
The Count
100+ Poster
Member for: 3 years, 1 month100+ Poster

Locations: St. Louis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Perry County Caves Reply with quote

I wanna go!!!!
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Locations: Springfield, MO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Perry County Caves Reply with quote

http://www.utexas.edu/tmm/sponsored_sites/biospeleology/nckms2007/Papers/walsh.pdf
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Member for: 2 years, 7 monthsOfficial Board Stalker

Locations: Primarily Mo, but also Ks, Ok, Ark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Perry County Caves Reply with quote

The Count wrote:
I wanna go!!!!

Sounds like fun. Smile

hmm.....not sure where that link has been, so i'm not clickin it, LOL.
azr3al
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Perry County Caves Reply with quote

So...... how do we get in those perry county caves?
PANIC! on the Titanic
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Perry County Caves Reply with quote

liesreality wrote:
The Count wrote:
I wanna go!!!!

Sounds like fun. Smile

hmm.....not sure where that link has been, so i'm not clickin it, LOL.

It's legit, don't worry.
PANIC! on the Titanic
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Perry County Caves Reply with quote

azr3al wrote:
So...... how do we get in those perry county caves?

I'd say start looking at topos, or just get out and walk around. Perry county has the most caves of any other county in MO, so if you can't find anything using typical cave finding tactics, you're doing something wrong.

I'm sure Crevice's entrances are well documented, since it's the longest cave in MO. Do some homework, see what you can find on it. In that document Kit posted, the guy just goes around asking farmers and landowners if they have any caves on their properties. That's a good tactic for a county with so many caves.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Perry County Caves Reply with quote

40 Miles underground, I can hardly imagin. I took me 5 hours to see all of Ash Grove cave and that is barely 1 mile.

That's like...more distance than a group of trained soldier marching at a good clip over flat open terrain would cover in a day.

Of course Mammoth Cave is closer to 400 miles long, which is absolutly mind-blowing. When they map the deepest recesses of that cave they have to set up an underground base-camp and float supplies up and down the underground river. I think there was a party of mappers once who stayed underground for like 2 weeks exploring the tunnels.

PANIC! on the Titanic
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Perry County Caves Reply with quote

jammer_smith wrote:
I think there was a party of mappers once who stayed underground for like 2 weeks exploring the tunnels.

Man, as much as I like caves and stuff, honestly I'd get bored of that after a while. Day after day of the same underground scenery? My limit is around 8 hours underground, then I start to get antsy and want to do something else, or at least start heading back. But 2 weeks? No thanks.
azr3al
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: RE: Perry County Caves Reply with quote

Holy shit. 2 weeks underground, that would be intense. I'd love it, and hate it.

I'm really looking for some caves to start using climbing gear for. I'm going to be getting

Time to put on my research cap for perry county. Very Happy
DeathByMoth
BANNED
Member for: 3 years

Locations: Springfield, MO.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Perry County Caves Reply with quote

azr3al wrote:
...I'm really looking for some caves to start using climbing gear for...

Have you been to Rope/Ladder caves? A.K.A. Hall of Fame caves? Rope cave would be perfect for trying out gear, as the name suggests, but you could easily opt to climb into Ladder cave using your own gear instead of the rusty death-trap that W.R. and Sertile put in there. Both are easy to access and un-watched. They can be a little tricky to find, and DO NOT go into Rope cave without at least having a friend outside or letting someone know you're there. It's quite easy to get stuck in there...

Pm me if you need help finding it. Good Luck!

liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Member for: 2 years, 7 monthsOfficial Board Stalker

Locations: Primarily Mo, but also Ks, Ok, Ark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Perry County Caves Reply with quote

I agree letting someone know where you are if you go alone is definately a good idea. I have went to a few place alone (doesnt happen often), but i always let someone know where i am---just incase. I tend to go with someone else though, because everyone can keep an eye out of things lurking in the dark, LOL.

Have fun exploring. Very Happy
azr3al
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Perry County Caves Reply with quote

Never heard of Rope cave. where is it at?

I always pin the location of the mouth of the cave, and send it to my wife. Also, I only cave with friends. Can never be too safe man, I value life WAY too much.

Although I'm usually the one convincing people to do the crazy things hahaha.

Went rock climbing in STL over the weekend. Definitively want to find some local bluffs to start climbing after I can afford gear.
The Count
100+ Poster
Member for: 3 years, 1 month100+ Poster

Locations: St. Louis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Perry County Caves Reply with quote

So um...I'm goin to berome moore this weekend, gonna spend a lot of the day in the cave, my friend has access to it so shes takin me. Shes real cool

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2