New Members & Meetups

All meetups, whether UE or non-UE, should be posted in this forum
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

RE: New Members & Meetups

Post by liesreality »

Well, I had fun with the members i met up with. Planning on going out more in the future.

Send me a "pm" if you are interested in meeting up.

Sorry, KickEmInDaBitchDitch, i missed your call, until it was to late.
tacoto
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by tacoto »

Hello all. I came here from California 15 years ago, where i was obsessed with exploring dangerous abandoned mines. Got here, looked around- caves, hmm, well to me the best caves are the ones you pay to go into, i like manmade structures underground like in mines. Well, yester day i got ahold of THE BOOK, now i'm going to go see some of these brewery caves, just to check out the cool architecture,manmade stuff. Thank you to everyone who has posted pictures of these caves here!!! Any tips for a brewery cave novice? Looks to me like you just get in the building and keep heading down........
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: New Members & Meetups

Post by SubLunar »

tacoto wrote:Hello all. I came here from California 15 years ago, where i was obsessed with exploring dangerous abandoned mines. Got here, looked around- caves, hmm, well to me the best caves are the ones you pay to go into, i like manmade structures underground like in mines. Well, yester day i got ahold of THE BOOK, now i'm going to go see some of these brewery caves, just to check out the cool architecture,manmade stuff. Thank you to everyone who has posted pictures of these caves here!!! Any tips for a brewery cave novice? Looks to me like you just get in the building and keep heading down........
Welcome.

The more research you do in this subject, the more disappointed you will become. The overwhelming majority of locations in that book are no longer in existence. Yes, it is true that they utilized caves for refrigeration in the early days, but they adapted them and turned them into cellars by installing arched brick ceilings and walls and leveling the floor. So right off the bat, we are no longer dealing with actual caves. Then prohibition came. The breweries went out of business and most of the buildings were razed. The resulting debris was dumped into the "cave" (read:cellar). To make matters worse, the cellars that managed to avoid total destruction were joined with the sewer system and are full of sewage and really really bad air.

One notable survivor is Falstaff. The cellars down there are flooded but you can at least get to them, as long as you can find a way in and you don't fall through the rickety-as-hell wooden staircase that leads down there.

This is my favorite subject (and others here feel the same), but I have come to accept the fact that there's practically nothing left of the awesomeness that once was. Still, we search incessantly nonetheless and you're welcome to join the search.
tacoto
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by tacoto »

Your (sublunar) blog pictures are awesome. I just want to walk through Cherokee cave once, i'm going there in the day and ask anyone i find there for permission, if i don't get it i'll be satisfied with pictures i guess, trespassing at night would have been an option when i was young, not so sure anymore....The mines in the Mojave desert are astounding,abandoned in the 1890's, I reckon ive been through at least 15 miles of tunnels, totally addicting.
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

Welcome to the site! :D

Caves you pay to enter are fun, and neat to look at. I also enjoy going to caves that arent tourist attractions though. :D
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

tacoto wrote:Your (sublunar) blog pictures are awesome. I just want to walk through Cherokee cave once, i'm going there in the day and ask anyone i find there for permission, if i don't get it i'll be satisfied with pictures i guess, trespassing at night would have been an option when i was young, not so sure anymore....The mines in the Mojave desert are astounding,abandoned in the 1890's, I reckon ive been through at least 15 miles of tunnels, totally addicting.
If that's your goal, seek out the current owners. But they're not very friendly.. I can't say for sure how thorough their tour is, but I know several people that went there today by bribing the owner $50 a piece. I'm trying to find out what all they saw and I'll let you know what the official word is on that as soon as I know.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

liesreality wrote:I also enjoy going to caves that arent tourist attractions though. :D
He's referring to locations in Saint Louis and around here, at least in the city, you're not going to have much luck with that.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

tacoto wrote:Your (sublunar) blog pictures are awesome. I just want to walk through Cherokee cave once, i'm going there in the day and ask anyone i find there for permission
I just heard back from them and the owners canceled at the last minute. So as far as getting a tour, it seems like they're in no hurry, even at $50/person.

Oh and thanks!
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: New Members & Meetups

Post by mindwaave »

I'm pretty new here too, only been a member here for a little while. I go to college at MST/UMR, but will live in St. Louis this coming summer. I haven't done a whole lot of venturing inside buildings or tunnels, but after being shown around Rolla by a very active and knowledgeable member here, I'm completely hooked. As far as St. Louis goes, I've been on the roofs of a few churches and an Oberweis, and down in a few sewers as well. Hope to see you all out there this summer sometime, if not sooner.
Preservation over plunder.
The Count
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: New Members & Meetups

Post by The Count »

Ok theres mines all over here like but they been shut down for a long time like Millstadt IL, the mines are still there cuz sometimes houses sink into them, but is there a way we can get into these underground mines? A lot of towns around here have had mines in them and they still gotta be there right so how do we get into them now cuz thad be so rad
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

The historical society has a complete list of mines in the Saint Louis area complete with a gigantic map which correlates exactly with the following information. Use the map reference number at the bottom of the page.

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mo/county/s ... nd_stl.htm
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

This place looks cool. Been meaning to go there.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

tacoto wrote:The mines in the Mojave desert are astounding,abandoned in the 1890's, I reckon ive been through at least 15 miles of tunnels, totally addicting.
I lived out in the AV and went through the Burro Schmidt Tunnel by myself one evening with no flashlight. It's funny how scary even the simplest things are. A tunnel under a mountain in the middle of nowhere is all the sudden the home of the boogeyman.
tacoto
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by tacoto »

ok so i've read back some and see several of you know how to get in.. i aint no vandal, just seeing rusted spiral staircases in my sleep and want to go...waiting to hear back about a tour. Burro Schmidt is cool, i went in there aways.....
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

tacoto, I sent you a pm.