Near the WTFarm

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Near the WTFarm

Post by Hiccup »

Sertile wrote:It's a derilect piece of crap former farmhouse in a sinkhole BEHIND the Campbell 16 MOVIE theater.
and why would they use the double doors you were talking about for projection equipment? if its a barn?
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

RE: Near the WTFarm

Post by Sertile »

There is no barn. The projectors are used to show movies. The theater and the farm are two seperate entities.

Also, I know what's in the woods: A friggin' CAVE

Arch was in town today visiting, so we did some exploring this afternoon down around the WTFarm (and around the Heers building, but that's another story).

So now the mystery is solved... but wait! Is it spelunkable? I'm not sure yet. It's got a pretty small opening to it, and there's a fallen log partially blocking the entrance (which I suspect was put there intentionally), plus I wasn't dressed for caving, so I can't tell you how far back it goes. BUT, there was a noticible temperature drop, accompanied with that familiar "cave smell," in addition to some weak blowing action, which suggests a larger passage or opening.

I can tell you that it wasn't grated, so it should be possible to crawl inside and check things out, assuming there's not too much debris. So, anyone want to join me?
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

I do! When?
Anne has left the building.
greekspeak
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by greekspeak »

When I was little in the 70's and early 80's, we used Campbell St. to get into town. I grew up out across Republic Rd. from where Del Prado subdivision is now. I was always fascinated with the remains of that old farm. They told me it was a dairy farm, and that the remains were part of the dairy operation itself. I have never heard it called WTFarm. Does it have to do with WTF in internet-ese? Or is there another reason? Just curious. Also if anyone has been in the ruins I would like to know about them!
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

Bloody hell, am I the only one who's not seen this and works pretty much across the street? Tomorrow after work, I'm going to have to check this out.
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Post by Underdog »

Yes Sertile, I had a feeling it feed into a cave. Very glad I checked it out and posted somthing about the area. I want to check it out. Let me know when you guys can go.
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

greekspeak wrote:When I was little in the 70's and early 80's, we used Campbell St. to get into town. I grew up out across Republic Rd. from where Del Prado subdivision is now. I was always fascinated with the remains of that old farm. They told me it was a dairy farm, and that the remains were part of the dairy operation itself. I have never heard it called WTFarm. Does it have to do with WTF in internet-ese? Or is there another reason? Just curious. Also if anyone has been in the ruins I would like to know about them!
WTFarm is a combo of an abriviation and a word. WTF which means "What The Fuck" and farm... WTF + farm = WTFarm :wink:
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Hiccup »

Sertile wrote:What what?

The doors are on the southern side of the building, second floor. Reminds me of a barn loft. Probably used them to get the projection equipment inside, I just always thought they were funny.
sertile, im lost
when you say theater, you are talking about campbell 16, right?
no theater on the farm, right?

and i wanna go too, even though i obviously dont know what the hell is going on :P
greekspeak
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by greekspeak »

Willard wrote:WTFarm is a combo of an abriviation and a word. WTF which means "What The Fuck" and farm... WTF + farm = WTFarm :wink:
Thank you for the clarification. :D
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

Hiccup wrote: and i wanna go too, even though i obviously dont know what the hell is going on :P
I don't either. I was driving around this morning and ended up making a huge circle over there. So whenever you all go check it out I'll figure it out then.
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Post by Underdog »

Hiccup wrote:
Sertile wrote:What what?

The doors are on the southern side of the building, second floor. Reminds me of a barn loft. Probably used them to get the projection equipment inside, I just always thought they were funny.
sertile, im lost
when you say theater, you are talking about campbell 16, right?
no theater on the farm, right?

and i wanna go too, even though i obviously dont know what the hell is going on :P
Oh Hiccup, so confused. No theater on farm. Only theater is Campbell 16. The barn loft analogy was just to explain how they get projector equipment in the building. Has nothing to do with WTFarm.
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

YES! The loft was an analogy. Thank you. The farm itself really isn't much of one. You certainly aren't going to see a barn or silo there. It's just a few ruined walls in a pit surrounded by brush and a ramshackle fence, and it's in the back yard of the Campbell 16 Cine, more or less, probably about 50 feet from the back of the building, between the fire doors and the road.

I probably won't be back in town any time during the week, but I might be able to go check it out this coming weekend if anyone wants to join me. It'll probably be a big disappointment, but we could offset it by making other plans. Would anyone like to hit the Erie St. sinkhole while we're in the neighborhood? It's just across the street.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

Sure. Saturday or Sunday? For me Sunday would be better because I'm doing homework on Saturdays now. That feels weird to say.
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Hiccup »

Underdog wrote:The barn loft analogy was just to explain how they get projector equipment in the building.
argh! you boys are killing me here
anne, explain this to me...
why do they want projector equipment in the bldg?
i dont even know what bldg youre talking about anymore--assuming youre not talking about the theater--because, duh, i would get that
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

The projector is inside the movie theater. They use it to show movies. Who's on first?